Ultimate Subtleness: Ultimate Confidence Boost in Mixing?

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Ultimate Subtleness: Ultimate Confidence Boost in Mixing?

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I know my subject of the thread sounded so superficial, but being a subscriber to mailing list from TheRecordingRevolution.com, I got a question for any of you out there.

Today, I have received an e-mail from Graham titled "The psychological hack of mix buss processing" and while reading his email, I came across this:
And yes, he made the text between "if you make ... and in 40 different ways" a whole link.

So, by Graham's logic, 1dB times 40 tracks (and in 40 different ways) = 40dB increase? Or even a 40dB decrease?

When I read his email, I feel I could come to a conclusion that Graham is a psycho when it comes to ultimate boost in confident. I would rather be more confident making 5dB moves or more as that would help me out, but just 1dB increase or decrease? Wouldn't an increase or decrease of .01dB give me a boost in confidence?

Gee, I'm getting way too hung up over this.

Oh, here's the website Graham is talking about: http://therecordingrevolution.com/2015/ ... rocessing/
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Ultimate Subtleness: Ultimate Confidence Boost in Mixing

Post by sysrqer »

I was about to jump in with a wtf and then I went and read the article. What he's saying isn't that adding 1db of a frequency on the master results in 40db boost of that frequency, just that when you find yourself mixing for a long time it's hard to hear what small differences make so instead of adjusting the eq of 40 tracks to make the mix a little brighter, which could take goodness knows how long, you can add 1db of a boost on the stereo bus to achieve a similar result. At least that's how I read it. Now sure if I agree with it as a piece of advice though.
emarsk
Established Member

Post by emarsk »

GraysonPeddie wrote:So, by Graham's logic, 1dB times 40 tracks (and in 40 different ways) = 40dB increase? Or even a 40dB decrease?
No, your conclusion is completely wrong (go read about the math that's behind dBs).
What he's saying is that applying a change on a bus is the same as applying that change on every single track that feeds the bus. This is true for linear processing like EQ (it's not for non-linear processing like compressing). That is, a 1dB boost on the mix is like a 1dB boot on each track.
Please, avoid some common spelling errors:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Okay, thanks.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
artek
Established Member

Post by artek »

emarsk wrote:
GraysonPeddie wrote:So, by Graham's logic, 1dB times 40 tracks (and in 40 different ways) = 40dB increase? Or even a 40dB decrease?
No, your conclusion is completely wrong (go read about the math that's behind dBs).
What he's saying is that applying a change on a bus is the same as applying that change on every single track that feeds the bus. This is true for linear processing like EQ (it's not for non-linear processing like compressing). That is, a 1dB boost on the mix is like a 1dB boot on each track.
You got it wrong, equalization is not only sound boosting, for 40 tracks I compute that you should get max +16db boost of processing artifacts