Basics of Recording

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Basics of Recording

Post by AnthonyCFox »

I found this amazing tutorial on recording http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283 by a former professional studio engineer.

It's not DAW, genre, or anything specific just the basics of multi-track recording and mixing. I've bought books and read stuff online before, but the way this guy explains it makes it simple. I was up late last night reading it and when I got up this morning I jumped back into it. I'm hooked.

It's a forum thread started at the end of '08, and I'm not sure, but it looks like the guy probably spent a year (maybe two?) adding to it. The thread is still alive, mostly with comments from people saying what a great thread it is and thanking him.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Re: Basics of Recording

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

You nearly had me up all night too! This is looking extremely interesting.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:You nearly had me up all night too! This is looking extremely interesting.
I know, isn't it!! :lol:
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I gave up pretensions of musicianship a few years ago and I haven't needed to record anything in a while --- but I still find this stuff fascinating, and... I'd love to ram some of this common-sense approach to audio into the ears of my hifi friends (gently, of course: they are friends!). Quite a lot of it is as equally applicable to listening as recording.

Anyway, I'm going to read on into recording/production just out of interest :)
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

The biggest thing I got from this was remembering that back in the '90's I used to make decent recordings with just a 4-track, drum machine and guitar. I knew absolutely nothing about "studio" recording and mixing was just dubbing it to a stereo tape. I just listened and whatever part didn't sound right, I rewrote. I trusted my ears completely because I didn't have any reason to not.

I've also given up my own pretensions that I'm ever going to do anything that a lot of people are going to like. The music I listen to isn't popular, why would the music I make be any more so? I wrote 21 measures of drums, bass and keyboards yesterday which is more than I've done in the last two years and, to me, it sounds way better. In four or five days I should have a complete piece of music. It's not going to win any awards but, I KNOW, it won't be bad. :P
Dominique
Established Member

Post by Dominique »

AnthonyCFox wrote:I found this amazing tutorial on recording http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283 by a former professional studio engineer.
Great writing. As I am in the way of making my own recording studio, it is exactly that kind of stuff I need. Thanks for sharing!