Who here can master music for money?

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dednikko
Established Member

Who here can master music for money?

Post by dednikko »

Fellow linuxcians,

The album I've been working on for a few years is getting closer and closer to finalization. I don't have ANY perspective on how thesedisparate songs even ought to sounds at this point.

Who here can assist with the final master? I want to give someone here the chance to take a bit of my money before I go to some generic master house. Anyone want to just play around with it?

Any takers?
Think like a gun.
zth
Established Member

Re: Who here can master music for money?

Post by zth »

dednikko wrote:Fellow linuxcians,

The album I've been working on for a few years is getting closer and closer to finalization. I don't have ANY perspective on how thesedisparate songs even ought to sounds at this point.

Who here can assist with the final master? I want to give someone here the chance to take a bit of my money before I go to some generic master house. Anyone want to just play around with it?

Any takers?
I'd gladly give it at least a shot! Let me know if you're interested :).
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

I'd like to take a look at if it I could.
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

I have a few questions.

What do you wish to accomplish with this mastered piece of music?

Of what genre is the music?
What is the instrumentation?
How was the source material recorded?
Of what format is the source material?

Is there a mix of 'songs' or pieces with all instruments mixed together? Or are there individual instrumental and vocal tracks for each 'song' or piece?

Has endlessabiogenesis been removed from soundcloud?

Is this music similar to what is heard at http://snd.sc/1cRGJas ?
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

I am a professional audio engineer for nearly 20 years, and have been mastering for three. I am available for hire. If you need references I can give you some.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

Sorry for the delayed response, LONG stretch at work.

It is electronic dance music, with an odd mix of elements. I would like to have it sound polished. I am not great at EQ, compression, or anything like it, so I know better than to attempt this myself!

Here's the most recent version of my most recent production. It is a remake of my first electronic song:

https://soundcloud.com/antonymelectronica/threshold

If you're interested, here's an uncompressed copy on my Google Drive: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B38IKym ... sp=sharing

Listen to it and if it's a project you'd like to have a crack at, I am, again, willing to part with money to get it done. I just need to get these songs out there so I can move onto a new album.
Think like a gun.
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

zth wrote:I'd gladly give it at least a shot! Let me know if you're interested :).
Definitely interested. Your new album sounds great. Me any my lady have been jamming it!
tatch wrote:I'd like to take a look at if it I could.
See the above link for the source track, have a look and listen =)
luster wrote:I have a few questions.

What do you wish to accomplish with this mastered piece of music?

Of what genre is the music?
What is the instrumentation?
How was the source material recorded?
Of what format is the source material?

Is there a mix of 'songs' or pieces with all instruments mixed together? Or are there individual instrumental and vocal tracks for each 'song' or piece?

Has endlessabiogenesis been removed from soundcloud?

Is this music similar to what is heard at http://snd.sc/1cRGJas ?
I hope to have this peice of music balanced by a more objective set of ears, and to balance the sound so it will be better enjoyed by listeners.
The music is electronic dance music, though the influences range from orchestral to industrial.
The source material was cobbled together from sample libraries and (mostly) ZynaddsubFX in LMMS.
44.1 16 bit .wav file.
The items I am asking to have mastered are completed tracks, mixed, but not mastered. I might also use the tracks "live" for DJing my own music.
Endlessabiogenesis was indeed removed, I changed the address to https://soundcloud.com/antonymelectronica
I think the link would have been to my older address, so yes, but hopefully better balanced.
Think like a gun.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

I'm still a little confused.

I'm supposed to master this project, and if you like it, or something, you will pay me?

How much money are we talking about here?
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

If you want to sell me your services, I'm willing to pay. I would recommend doing a ~30 sec clip as a sample, tell me how much it would be to master the whole song. I wouldn't ask you to name a price until you know just how easy/hard mastering the song(s) can be.

The pricing is up to you. Just base it on what is fair for the product.
Think like a gun.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

dednikko wrote:If you want to sell me your services, I'm willing to pay. I would recommend doing a ~30 sec clip as a sample, tell me how much it would be to master the whole song. I wouldn't ask you to name a price until you know just how easy/hard mastering the song(s) can be.

The pricing is up to you. Just base it on what is fair for the product.
That sounds like a recipe for disaster. This isn't a hobby for me, so doing a sample mastering for you, and then telling you how much I would charge, and having you say no would end up being a giant waste of time for both of us. What is your budget?

Also, is this a single song, or many songs?
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

The project will include one track first, paid, of course.

Then, if I like to outcome, I'll send more to you. I have about 10 songs that need to be mastered. I look to get the project out by the end of the year.

I've paid from $20 (a promotion) per song, to $200 for three songs (with my old rock band). I could certainly pay more.

I would say my budget is entirely contrained by quality of output. I have had some weak masters, and some amazing ones. How about some references?

My music isn't mixed so well as to allow something like Knife Party's sound to come out, but that is closer to where I'd like to be, sound wise. They're far more polished and experience than me, for sure!
Think like a gun.
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

Which track?
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

I now want to have "Another" worked on. Out of what I have it is the best sounding, mix wise. I'll upload a .wav to my Gdrive and link it soon!
Think like a gun.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Ricardus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:50 pm ...I am available for hire. If you need references I can give you some.
How much do you (and any other mastering engineers here) charge per track under 5 minutes?

Also, thoughts on mastering from the following?
DoctorMix
MixAndMasterMySong
LandR
Ricardus
Established Member

Post by Ricardus »

Jeax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:42 am
Ricardus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:50 pm ...I am available for hire. If you need references I can give you some.
How much do you (and any other mastering engineers here) charge per track under 5 minutes?

Also, thoughts on mastering from the following?
DoctorMix
MixAndMasterMySong
LandR

Sorry. I haven't logged in here forever. I am still doing mastering and am building a new mastering room as well. But I am available.
Mastering/Mix Engineer
Available for hire