Libre Music Challenge #13 : Looptober

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Hello everybody,

tl;dr
  • make 10 loops.
  • loops should be in the key of G minor (if a tonality applies to your loop)
  • loops should be at 133 bpm
  • loops should fit together to create new loops, think of it as an old skool loop construction kit.
  • loops are licensed under Image
    This license allows reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format,
    so long as attribution is given to the creator. The license allows for commercial use.
    If you remix, adapt, or build upon the material, you must license the modified material under identical terms.
  • deadline of submissions is 31-10-2021 (your local time is fine, I'm not gonna bother with time zones and such :D )
We've noticed people on social media posting music with the tag #looptober and after some discussion we decided to join in, with a twist.
After some discussion we came up with the idea to take the word loop a bit more literal, so we're not gonna make some loop based songs or short loop based musical pieces, but actual loops that can be used to create new loops.
Check the above tl;dr for the rules of the loops.
In the end we hope to have a collection of loops, all in the same key and tempo, upon which others (or you!) can create new musical ideas.
Of course you must use free (libre) audio software only.

Some notes
  • although the looptober idea was picked up from mastodon, there's absolutely no obligation to post your loops there or a need to have an account
  • You can use other sample/audio based material if the license allows that. Please specify the source and license if you use existing material.
  • There's no chord progression or musical style you must stick to, please be creative.
  • For example the base tempo is 133 but you can of course double time or half time that if you like.
  • The base key is G minor , but you aren't restricted to tonal music. If you want to make screaching noise based loops, go ahead.
  • Rules are nice, but nothing is set in stone. We do this together.
If you have any questions, post them below.

Rob
Last edited by rghvdberg on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LAM
Established Member

Re: Libre Music Challenge #13 : Looptober

Post by LAM »

Looks good to me! :wink:

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

0) Are the loops meant to be interchangable with other persons or is my set self-contained?`
If self contained the following questions don't matter.
1) How long should the loops be? Any meter constraints?
2) G Minor key is fine. Am I allowed to change the key internally and then back before the loop ends?
3) Are the loops meant to layer or is it just linear?
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

rghvdberg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:01 pm [*]loops should fit together to create new loops, think of it as an old skool loop construction kit.
nils wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:53 pm 0) Are the loops meant to be interchangable with other persons or is my set self-contained?`
Following the workflow of old school loop-based music sequencers (like ACID pro or Giada for ex.) I think the loops should to be interchangeable with others.
Having 4/8/16 (or whatever multiple of 4) beats loops would make it really easy to build loop based songs.
Drums, basses, leads, pads, SFXs, voices... whatever. More you layer them more the fun. :)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Very excited and impatient to hear/see/loop/play any example from the submitters so I can start to try to re-read and eventually hopefully understand all of the above descriptions, comments, questions :D

(though now I feel so sorry it made me realize I'm now much older than I dreamt then I'm not even able to uncipher a music challenge theme :cry: :mrgreen: OK, such mixed feelings must mean either I should go back mixing or start joining some banjo band :D )
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

This is my first attempt at a Libre Music Challenge - and at creating loops - so I hope this all ok...

Loops are (appropriately licenced) here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... s8KmcPUFOG

All made with, Ardour, Hydrogen, Yoshimi, QmidiArp, Jack, QjackCTL, Ubuntu, and some plugins, and drumkits and sounds that come with the software.
I've tried to give details in the README with the files.

It's not massively exciting, but I hope it fits the rules, and can be used by other people.
If anyone has any feedback, I'm happy to hear it.
(If there are problems with downloading or access let me know - google drive permissions always flummox me!)
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I totally forgot to add a deadline but we set the deadline at 31/10. So submit your loops during 31 October, local time.

I'll edit the 1st post too
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

caprenter wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:55 pm This is my first attempt at a Libre Music Challenge - and at creating loops - so I hope this all ok...

Loops are (appropriately licenced) here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... s8KmcPUFOG

All made with, Ardour, Hydrogen, Yoshimi, QmidiArp, Jack, QjackCTL, Ubuntu, and some plugins, and drumkits and sounds that come with the software.
I've tried to give details in the README with the files.

It's not massively exciting, but I hope it fits the rules, and can be used by other people.
If anyone has any feedback, I'm happy to hear it.
(If there are problems with downloading or access let me know - google drive permissions always flummox me!)
great! very kind of you to pack all loops in a zip and tar archive 8)

Rob
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Even as a fan of FLOSS and libre culture (even as someone who prefers copyleft to permissive licenses), I think CC-BY should be allowed, if not preferred. Loops can be building blocks of music and I don't see any good reason to not allow usage in nonfree works, since they must give credit and that could promote free software, which is IMHO more important (because software can run your car or pacemaker, music cannot).
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

I've ended up making a track with my loops - there's a post here about it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23739 - so that any conversation is taken out of this thread.

I think @Basslint makes a good point. Personally I'd be happy for the loops I made to be CC-BY. I can also see that people can choose to participate or not on the terms of the challenge as set - and as an organiser you need to set some boundaries, so I'm also happy to keep it CC-BY-SA.

BTW, I'm also wondering if there are other loops being made, and where would I find them? Or is everyone just waiting to submit on the 31st?
Thanks!
forestandgarden
Established Member

Post by forestandgarden »

I'd much prefer limiting to NC [reasons], but if that cannot be done, then what, I'll just go with what's suggested.

I'm having a question, though: are 10 loops a fix number, or a minimum?

I'll explain: I've just jammed away with tin whistle and guitar, the 5 minute whistle take is rendering a dozen useable loops alone. So, what am I supposed to do? Prioritize & pick a best-of, strictly 10 loop, set? Leave a long take with a good creative harvest more or less as it is, e.g. a 64+ bar 'loop' that loops, in principle, but is meant for the looper to pick parts from by setting different start- and endpoints? Keep breaking down solo jams into loop snippets as I'm doing now, and offer as many loops as that makes, for others to play with, pick from, and re-combine? Split into various submissions?

My fav solution would be 'submit all loops', followed by 'present solo jam takes as long loops', since both would be in line with the toolkit idea, the former, presenting material useable straight away, the latter, leaving more processing to the user - especially the whistle take needs processing, since I got crap $5 mics and audible noise, and my current approach of cutting into many small loops, allows me to adapt gate, eq and comp from passage to passage. Also, the many-loops approach makes it easy to use 2 motifs that were played sequentially, together, producing counter-point-ish musical effects.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear what people will actually DO with those loops, which, I hope, will become something like a follow up challenge, or at least happen in a way that is rewarding the creators with musical feedback.

:)
some of my stuff is ending up here https://alooshu.byethost17.com and here https://clyp.it/user/i4p5dng1 , and you can love me at https://liberapay.com/aloo_shu
MyLoFy
Established Member

Post by MyLoFy »

Hey there fellow loopicists!
I took the liberty to create 11 loops in both Ardour 6.9 and zrythm. License is CC-BY since I also used the fantastic Aasimonster DrumGizmo Samples, which have the same license.

https://mark.nl.tab.digital/s/H3xZr3QGd3Y6TAA

Everything should be stackable and reusable, I'd be happy to hear what you could do with those chunks of music. Also I included more info in the README if you're interested.
Cheers!
forestandgarden
Established Member

Here's my submission

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... Sqof2bmmKD

a .zip with 25 loops in 24bit flac, I hope everything is alright. Thanks for answering me on libera.chat :-)

License is CC-BY-SA , I'd prefer to be identified by my other alias, aloo_shu, for this challenge. Maybe inside linuxmusicians, 'forestandgarden aka aloo_shu'; outside, I'd like attribution to be to https://liberapay.com/aloo_shu , mainly, because rather than an arbitrary alias, this is a profile that I control and that says something about me, but if someone absolutely must donate, well, that's working there, too, and giving a libre alternative to patreon a little visibility, is good synergy.

The DAW used was good old stable Ardour 5.12 - as practically everything, from the 2017 edition of AVLinux. My 'guitar rack' is hosted by Carla, gates and compressors are Zam plugins, guitar sound is making heavy use of Guitarix (Gx-) plugins, verbs are togu's Tal-plugins, choruses and limiters are Calf-plugins, eq-ing is done with ardour's bundled plugs, esp. the high-low filter is a quick one to give a track a unique character. I may have forgotten a few minor ones, like simple delays and karaoke filter for manipulating stereo width, or x42 aka rgareus' great tuner, they're most definitely all FLOSS lv2 & ladspa plugins, though.

Enjoy, I'm *burning* for feedback now (I guess we all are)
some of my stuff is ending up here https://alooshu.byethost17.com and here https://clyp.it/user/i4p5dng1 , and you can love me at https://liberapay.com/aloo_shu
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

I don't have enough loops to enter the challenge. I've found that producing music with my hearing loss is borderline impossible, which makes it frustrating and that goes against rule #1 ...
So I'll try to be involved with the LMC, but participating is beyond my capabilities.
forestandgarden
Established Member

wow, that's a tough cookie. If it doesn't embarrass you, submit anyway.

I wish you an abundance of both coping skills and healing power.