Studio 13.37 YouTube Video

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

l0wt3ch
Established Member

Studio 13.37 YouTube Video

Post by l0wt3ch »

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu May 17, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raboof
Established Member

Re: Studio 13.37 YouTube Video

Post by raboof »

Nicely done!

I hope you don't get into trouble with the background music, YouTube tends to be picky about that.
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks!

It depends on the record label. This one's ok with it, according to YouTube:
Your video may include the following copyrighted content:

"Rocket From The Tombs-What Love Is", sound recording administered by:
IODA

What does this mean?

Your video is still available worldwide. In some cases ads may appear next to your video. Please note that the video's status can change, if the policies chosen by the content owners change. Learn more about copyright on YouTube.
This claim does not affect your account status.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

l0wt3ch wrote:It depends on the record label. This one's ok with it, according to YouTube:
That is pretty neat. Cool!
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

There is a ton of things I haven't even had time to mouseclick yet :shock:
Been stuck in a rut for a while, with that pesky 'record' button thingy :wink:
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Hey, you can't stop inspiration! :wink:
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Another video, this time with music contributed by Superslikk Productions.

"Studio 13.37 - The Most Advanced Pro Audio Studio"

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I have a question. Are there any differences between Studio 13.37 (other than a USB flash drive), AVLinux, KXStudio (yes, it comes with Cadence tools), Dream Studio, and any others?
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

The main difference is that the whole OS is designed to run in RAM. This combined with a realtime kernel makes it much, much, faster, with far lower latencies. As well, it isn't Ubuntu or Debian-based, and so it doesn't come with the much-hated PulseAudio server, and doesn't need any workarounds.

Also, it differs from all the others in that it is designed to not have to be installed to work at full potential. Everybody's tried using Ubuntu in "Live CD" mode, and it sucks. You never have to install Studio 13.37 to have it do everything it's supposed to do, working as well as if it was installed. (Although of course you can install it!) You don't have to give up your present computer setup, or partition your drive, etc. It saves your session to the usb stick itself so you can take it and your settings with you wherever you go.

Unlike some other distros that use resource-heavy desktop environments, Studio 13.37 comes with an attractive, customized, version of IceWM, which is faster and lighter than pretty much anything else out there.

All of the audio apps and their dependencies are compiled against the RT kernel and Studio 13.37's libraries. Even compared to previous Studio releases, Studio 13.37 achieves much lower latencies.

It also comes with support for Line 6 devices, and it's preconfigured for REAPER so you can install it with a click.

It's very easy to use - there is no setup. At all. You don't have to add repos or apt-get anything or add yourself to the audio group, or install it, or any of the stuff people have traditionally had to do to get Linux audio working right. Everything just works right out of the box.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

It's very easy to use - there is no setup. At all. You don't have to add repos or apt-get anything or add yourself to the audio group, or install it, or any of the stuff people have traditionally had to do to get Linux audio working right. Everything just works right out of the box.
You don't have to do any of this with AV linux or the newly available KXStudio 12.04 live release.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

When I say "no setup", I mean zero setup. It doesn't need to be installed for half-decent performance, for instance. And you don't have to do anything after installation, either.
While I'll agree that KXStudio not installed isn't a grand way to go, AV Linux works absolutely beautifully booted from just a USB stick. As for the rest of the unique selling points you mention I have no need for the main points of your distro that you are claiming:

1.)Runs in RAM. Great, you achieve moderately faster performance loading you apps. I guess it's incredible that the main stream recording industry has gotten by all these years, making wonderful music while never running things entirely in RAM. Programs and sample are already living in RAM when they're loaded.

2.)RT Kernel. While I see it as a great need for certain musicians wanting to use the linux audio ecosystem live, it has very few benefits in a practical studio setup. It increases chance for XRuns and CPU usage. Neither of which I want when I'm trying to do a final mix with many plugins and programs running. On top of all this, most good generic kernels have already implemented many of the features of the RT kernel.

So, you're right, nope I haven't tried it, and based on the above criteria have no wish or will to try something, when I have a beautiful setup that took very little effort to make it bend to my will!

(slightly redacted by raboof)
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

i2productions wrote:RT Kernel. While I see it as a great need for certain musicians wanting to use the linux audio ecosystem live, it has very few benefits in a practical studio setup. It increases chance for XRuns and CPU usage
Interesting point, let's discuss this in this thread.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

i have not used osX for audio production, but compared to various windows,
and mainstream linux versions, Puppy Studio, in its several
incarnations is the fastest I have used, and is measured in meg rather than gig,
for those finding that bloat, or even coordinated but massive compilations, allow room for
odd configuration issues or failures.

While Studio LEET will cost you a (very)few latte and biscotti, you'll make up for it
saving $$$ on headache and blood-pressure medicine, and anti-depressants.

(slightly redacted by raboof)
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Guys, back down on the confrontational tone, please. Vigorous debate is encouraged, but it must be respectful. In practice, this means:

1) Don't tell people they don't know what they're talking about. Show them nicely, if that's your opinion.

2) Don't call people trolls. If they're being a troll, report it to a moderator or admin, and ignore their posts entirely.

3) If someone calls you a troll, don't respond in kind.

4) If you feel someone is being unreasonable, be the bigger person and just step away from the conversation if you can't keep your head.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I think we all need to treat each other in a mature, responsible adult way. Even when others don't treat us this way. If we do this, a lot of problems would be taken care of.