Patchage, Gladish, Claudia etc. : What is the difference?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ufug
Established Member

Patchage, Gladish, Claudia etc. : What is the difference?

Post by ufug »

I'm confused newbie exploring KXStudio. There seem to be a bunch of patchbay apps that do the same or almost the same thing. Is there a reason to have all of them installed? Is one more stable or more useful than the others? Thanks.
listenable at c6a7.org
msepsis
Established Member

Re: Patchage, Gladish, Claudia etc. : What is the difference

Post by msepsis »

smoakland! I'm living over by SF State now but was living right by park and 580 a few years back. Small world!

Welcome. It's a damn good question.. I'm no expert but have spent a good bunch of time working in kxstudio in the past few weeks. Patchage, Gladish and Claudia, as far as I understand are nothing more than graphical frontends to LADIsh.

I tend to stick with Claudia as it allows you to save the your connections as a "studio" fairly reliably... but I'll be watching this thread as it's a good question and have often wondered what the real difference was as well.. especially between Catia and Claudia.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Small world, I'm not far from there. Just PM'd you.

The sessions I've set up so far are pretty remedial, so saving setups hasn't been a feature I've missed yet. That's a plus for Claudia.

A plus for Gladish is Laditray, although maybe it can work with the others as well. Very handy to have an unobtrusive status/control icon.

It'd be great to see a head to head comparison. Choice is a great thing, except when it's not accompanied by enough information to help you choose.
listenable at c6a7.org
emarsk
Established Member

Post by emarsk »

Patchage is different from the other ones you mentioned in that it's not a ladish frontend, but a connection editor (my favourite, btw). It cannot save your "studio" set up.
Please, avoid some common spelling errors:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I pretty much use claudia for all of the above. Wonderful tool, thanks again falk TX!
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Thank you FalkTX (for this and for everything you do).

I guess I will just need to spend time with them all to see the advantages/disadvantages, and hopefully after using them all, the definitions will become more clear to me.
listenable at c6a7.org