Klaudia on Arch, need help

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Klaudia on Arch, need help

Post by funkmuscle »

I left a message with a packager for ya...
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

falkTX wrote: To make it compatible with Arch, I need:
1) a cmd that outputs all the currently installed packages, in this format:

Code: Select all

ardour
audacity
audacious
(ie, just one after the other; the only thing printed is the package name, nothing else, separated by new lines)
pacman -Qsq

"2)" i didn't understand
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Hi FalkTX

You have great apps there. I was made aware of the kxstudio apps quite some time ago and was always interested in taking a look, but never got to it. Funkmuscle just gave me a nudge again, and finally I've taken a look :D Furthermore, I love Qt, and KDE, and Python (who doesn't?).

# list all installed packages
pacman -Qq

# list package $foobar (if installed; no output if not; accepts multiple pkgs)
pacman -Qq $foobar

# search installed package names matching $regexp
pacman -Qsq $regexp
I'm curious, why do you _not_ search for binaries instead of packages? You could simply use pkg-config --installed and be done with it in a distro-agnostic way, if the goal is to get a list of available software on the system. Understanding this would help me understand (2).

From the source, I cannot figure out how or from where you're generating the database. It just looks like a hardcoded set of attributes per application for use by Klaudia. If conforming to these attributes is what you imply by (2), then I'm afraid there're going to be problems, not just for Arch, but for any distribution where custom-made packages are prevalent.

There are bound to be packages installed with slightly different names than we would expect. For instance, I may have an ardour-customfoo package installed instead of the ardour from the repository, built with my own flags optimised for my own hardware.
Professor: Music is not a science, my son. It's an art.
Student: But art is science.
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

falkTX wrote:I have to use an hardcoded database because there's no proper way to detect a binary version and features. For example, current Ardour in Arch does not have LV2 support, how would I detect that?
Ahh so that's why - I didn't get how you were determining functionality support. I just realised even pkg-config is not going to cut it, since not all applications install a config file, just mostly libraries.

Anyway, so how do you detect something like that now (no support for LV2)?

Also, I forgot to mention you can use just -Q without the q to also get a version string in the 2nd column, and -Qi for more information of the package.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

could some Archer make an AUR-package out of this, when finished?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Cap, that's why I contacted schiv...
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

funkmuscle wrote:Cap, that's why I contacted schiv...
ahh yes....Schiv is the Meister
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Yep, that's the man.
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

LOL guys I can help only just as much as any one of us could :)
falkTX wrote:Then run klaudia and tell me which values/features are not valid for Arch.
(I suspect Ardour is built without LADISH support)
Great..first time running a dbus-enabled jack (package: jack2).

I'm a little bit concerned about this. At one glance I can't really tell which properties would not be appropriate, but I'd like to know myself what features each of the official packages are missing. As it stands, if a feature can be added, it'll definitely be added. Otherwise, these all look good to me as-is.

So ultimately, I believe we'd all like for the Arch packages to conform to the attributes of Klaudia, meaning we'd like to have as much of the features and functionality each of the software can provide. As such, you wouldn't need to ammend anything.

Now, without DEBUG mode, I get Ardour and Qtractor (the only 2 apps I currently installed to test this - I have no audio needs right now on this machine), they show up properly with the correct values. Qtractor has everything. Ardour, however, says NO for DSSI. Ardour can't support DSSI, right? What about LADISH? Can Ardour stable support that, or are you talking about Ardour SVN?

You'll definitely need more input from a wider audience.

Capoeira and funkmuscle: could you guys please try this out also and see how it fares?
falkTX wrote:That's the catch, I have to do it manually.
This is ok for KXStudio, has I update the PPAs and Klaudia is updated as well.
But how would we do it in Arch? (yaourt update?)
I'm not sure I get that. Aren't you saying that you just check out the package and see what support it has by using it? As in, for KXStudio, when you update a package, and a new functionality is there, you add that property to Klaudia as well, right?

If so, then yes, just a system update (pacman -Syu or any other wrapper/front-end). However, I see this as very laborious for yourself. A better approach would be to update Klaudia based on feedback from users of the distribution. A custom report page would help, or just a bug tracker with different "projects" or "categories" being the distributions.
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

In normal mode, none of the installed DAWs apparently support any form of plugin. In debug mode, basically everything is double, and it is impossible to really check the information.
I'd suggest handling it through bug tracking, i.e. correct the information as it comes from users, especially since much of it is bound to change anyway.
But the program itself seems very useful.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

falkTX wrote: If someone updates the klaudia PKGBUILD, will it come as an update? (like pacman does?)
if the maintainer changes the PKGBUILD it gets a new version-number. So an automatic AUR update with for example yaourt, would reinstall it
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

falkTX wrote:Ardour does not have LADISH support (Lv1) by default, it has to be patched first.
Latest Debian has this, but the Ardour devs don't like this (it's the JACK-Session vs LADISH argument...)
This is at least 1 point where I would have to change the database.
Yes, in that case, we won't be supporting it (a LADISH-patched Ardour) in the official repositories. However, no-one stops such a package from appearing in the AUR. So an entry for such a package in Klaudia is still valid (for Arch).
I also have some *-git or *-svn packages and some KXStudio special ones (like ardourpro [Ardour+Theme]).
No-one stops this one from appearing in the AUR either :)
For Arch, something similar is needed.
Imagine this:
- user installs klaudia from yaourt/AUR
- I update the klaudia git repo with some new neat features
how will the user get the new features 'automatically'?
If someone updates the klaudia PKGBUILD, will it come as an update? (like pacman does?)
You'll have no problem with this, as mentioned above by Capoeira. The thing is, most users of the AUR have a front-end for it, though these front-ends or wrappers are not officially supported. For those of us like me who don't use a front-end, we still update manually. So in the end, updates will reach the user in one way or another.
seanbutnotheard
Established Member

Post by seanbutnotheard »

schiv,

If you look in the experimental branch of the ArchAudio svn repo, there are PKGBUILDs for cadence and klaudia (cadence-git and klaudia-git). They're not necessarily complete but they're in a "works for me" state (I was just playing around one day and thought I'd try to build them). Hopefully they're helpful to this discussion!

Edit: posted them in tar.bz2's here:
http://obsoleteaudio.org/download/cadence-git.tar.bz2
http://obsoleteaudio.org/download/klaudia-git.tar.bz2

(also I made these about a month ago so they might not work with latest git anymore)

Edit2: They still work for me here w/ latest git, but I haven't run namcap on them to verify dependencies and such. Great work falkTX!

sean
"I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am."
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sean, what did you do to get it working? I've been trying for months and I get a python error...
seanbutnotheard
Established Member

Post by seanbutnotheard »

funkmuscle wrote:sean, what did you do to get it working? I've been trying for months and I get a python error...
Here's the part that makes the bash wrapper scripts invoke the right version of python:

#python2 fix
  cd data
  for bin in claudia cadence carla carla-control catarina catia jack_logs jack_render jack_settings jack_xycontroller; do
    sed -i "s/exec python /exec python2 /" "$bin";
  done
  cd ..
@falkTX: I'll double check the dependencies and correct as necessary, thanks!
"I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am."