QSynth issue...

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonrpick
Established Member

QSynth issue...

Post by jonrpick »

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a quick track using Seq24 and QSynth.

Here's the quick and dirty on my setup:

Seq24 is playing 2 or 3 piano parts, all on the same voice/engine on QSynth. I have an accompanying part that's being played on another voice/engine.

When the 2nd voice kicks in (right at the halfway mark in the music) it starts holding out notes rather than releasing them. So the sound starts to build upon itself, almost like feedback. It continues even after I've hit "stop" on the sequencer (Seq24). The only way to stop it is to click "Restart" on QSynth, so that tells me it's a problem with that app.

I'm under a time constraint here, and really need to have this track finished for my band for a live performance later this week. I'll have very little time to work on it between then and now, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

~Jon
GarryO
Established Member

Re: QSynth issue...

Post by GarryO »

Hi, Jon.
To be honest, I've not experienced this problem, nor am I sure exactly what's happening here. It sounds as if some "note off" messages are getting lost.
But, reading your post, what occurred to me is to create individual engines for each of the piano parts, each on their own midi channel, and see if that reduces the chaos.
A shot in the dark, but I hope it helps.

Best wishes, G.
jonrpick
Established Member

Post by jonrpick »

Thanks for the reply...

After posting, it did occur to me to try to make sure it was on a completely different MIDI channel. I did so, but saw no change.

I just uninstalled/reinstalled it, so we'll see.

In case it matters, I'm running Fluidsynth version 1.1.1-1 and QSynth version 0.3.5-1, both on Fedora 12. I have both apps loaded on a Fedora 13 laptop, but I'm not sure the version on the apps. I'll try it if I have no more luck after the reinstall.

Thanks, again...

~Jon
jonrpick
Established Member

Post by jonrpick »

Eh... I also went ahead and updated my whole machine, since it had been a while.

What a mistake. I'm pretty much furious at this point.

Now Jack works when it feels like it. QSynth/Fluidsynth has the same issue, plus the super new "feature" where the voice on the 2nd engine is now no longer in the same key as the 1st engine. I keep having to disable then re-enable the MIDI-Thru on my sequencer (Seq24) after EVERY SINGLE TAKE if I want to hear what I'm playing passed through to QSynth/Fluidsynth.

Not to mention the several other non-music-related issues I'm now having as of 30 minutes ago.

I love Linux... I really do. But after this short project is finished, I think I'm going to have to cut my losses and drop the idea of music production on Linux, even on the most basic level, if I want to retain any sanity. If I want to continue doing anything music-related on a computer, I think I'm going to have to go with a much more mature and well-supported platform. This just isn't worth the headache.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello jonrpick,

What soundfount are you using? Could you post the outcome of jack_lsp -c with all the apps connected? What exactly did you upgrade/update to what? F12 to F13? And, if possible, maybe you could post/upload a part of the problematic Seq24 parts?

Best,

Jeremy
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

As long as the panic button works, this will be less hassle than restarting qsynth.

I suggest you try AVLinux and ask GMag if you get stuck. My second suggestion is that you go ask Rui directly about qsynth. He is very nice, knowledgeable and helpful in his site's forum. http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/13 My third suggestion is you take the time to answer Auto's questions. I think you can improve a lot your software system, including, but by no means limited to, installing Windows.

Cheers! Pablo