looking for a practice audio player

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TJMac
Established Member

looking for a practice audio player

Post by TJMac »

I recently came across this site, and think it's fantastic. I'm an amateur musician, and one of the things I like to do is play along with music using an audio player on one of my Linux computers.

I have looked for the perfect player for the past year or so -- since my Tascam portable CD player is hardly working anymore. If any of you are familiar with this Tascam accessory, you know that it has many features specifically designed for the muscian... the ones which I like best are: repeat song/cd/section, bookmark a section of a song, filter out or exaggerate instrument, slow down or increase the tempo of a song (without pitch change), pitch change (without changing speed of song). This is what I would like to find in an audio player...

There are two apps that I currently interchange between: the simpler is alsaplayer. But it only has the tabbing/bookmarking and speed change features. The other is Audacity, but it is, too "over the top"... and it even lacks some of the features that I would like. There are lots of audio players out there, and I would think someone has made a player specifically for musicians...

Has anyone found a good Linux app that has useful features for a musician (and contains most of the features that I've mentioned above)?
raboof
Established Member

Re: looking for a practice audio player

Post by raboof »

Transcribe!, a non-free (but cheap) application from Seventh String Software, does a lot of what you're looking for.

I'd be thrilled to hear about free alternatives.
TJMac
Established Member

Re: looking for a practice audio player

Post by TJMac »

raboof wrote:Transcribe!, a non-free (but cheap) application from Seventh String Software, does a lot of what you're looking for.
Thanks raboof, it looks pretty good... if I don't hear of any other alternatives I'll give it the 30 day trial...