DaVinci in AVLinux

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mephi

DaVinci in AVLinux

Post by Mephi »

Anyone has been able to install Davinci Resolve 18 in AVLinux 21.1?
kamiluni
Established Member

Re: DaVinci in AVLinux

Post by kamiluni »

I don't know in AV Linux, but in Manjaro it is really straightforward...

KL

Linux OS: Manjaro
Intruments: Yamaha MODX8; Korg Nautilus; Yamaha Tyros 3, Akai Force, Korg ModWave, Upright bass, Electric bass
Audio Card: MOTU M4
Monitors: Yamaha HS8, Auratone, M-Audio BX5, PreSonus Eris E3.5
Engineer and Musician

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Whoa 3Gb download!

OK, I'm looking into it to also pique my own curiosity, will let you know how it goes, bbl

Later that day...

The download and install process went fine, that was the end of that..

I have a high end AMD 6750 Video card that I use specifically for it's GPU capabilities with Topaz Labs upscaling software in Windows. I am using it with regular Linux Xorg 'amdgpu' driver and on first run the Resolve welcome screen was blank and then it launched the program. From there Resolve complained about my GPU configuration and directed me to the preferences where there were limited GPU options to change and any changes I made were not sufficient to allow the program to launch.. :roll:

If Resolve is this picky to not run on a fast machine with good current hardware supported by the latest Linux drivers then I must conclude they don't really take it working on Linux very seriously. Note this is an AMD system through and through, perhaps you will fare better if you have an nVidia card with the latest proprietary drivers

It does install just fine, it seems to have VERY particular GPU needs..

From their own FAQ at Blackmagic:

Can I use a Linux distribution other than CentOS?
We do not test or certify any distributions of Linux other than our designed platform of CentOS. As such we cannot guarantee compatibility or performance when using any other distribution.

DaVinci Resolve is a professional application and needs to be stable above all else. Given the many different distributions and variations for Linux operating systems, it is simply not possible for us to develop, test, support and guarantee robust operation on any other distributions.

For this reason, we even provide our own ISO for installing the correct version of CentOS with all required dependencies.

If you wish to use DaVinci Resolve on Linux we only recommend installing the application on the currently supported CentOS. If you wish to try a custom installation, or a different distribution then you may wish to look through our user forums to see if any other end users can offer assistance with this.

For DaVinci Resolve Studio, Blackmagic Design can only provide you with Technical Support when using a supported distribution.

Welp...I've had enough, so if you find yourself at the same point as me, run this command in the folder you unzipped your downloaded Zip from Blackmagic to uninstall Resolve

Code: Select all

sudo ./DaVinci_Resolve_18.1.3_Linux.run -u
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Centos (free version of Redhat Enterprise) and nVidia requirements, they are not veiled, and easily
gathered if a linux user wants to build a niche video editing setup outside the debian fortress. We are lucky that high-end video has any toehold
at all in the lower levels of the linux market. Fedora, the official spear-catcher version of Redhat, might be enough like Centos, that audiojunkie might attempt a Resolve install in his Fedora setup? Pretty sure I did that years ago with Fedora 35, and an old nvidia 9400GT card, and it passed initial testing.
Cheers

edit: I do think it would behoove the Resolve team to set up an AVL system, and spend a few hours getting it to work with an
affordable and readily available nvidia card. Makes market sense, based on the current user numbers.

edit 2: I'm actually surprised that Bitwig and Harrison haven't expanded into the video market. Apples aren't getting any cheaper.

dirtie02

Post by dirtie02 »

kamiluni wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:59 pm

I don't know in AV Linux, but in Manjaro it is really straightforward... Geometry Dash Scratch

KL

You can find the live installer shortcut right on the desktop, or you can click on the AV Linux system menu, and then under the System tab, select Live Installer.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

dirtie02 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:31 am
kamiluni wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:59 pm

I don't know in AV Linux, but in Manjaro it is really straightforward... Geometry Dash Scratch

KL

You can find the live installer shortcut right on the desktop, or you can click on the AV Linux system menu, and then under the System tab, select Live Installer.

So does it work for you in AV Linux? If so what is your system hardware? As you can see in my post above I had no luck on a current high spec AMD system..