kxstudio dependency problems

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Two
Established Member

kxstudio dependency problems

Post by Two »

Hey all,

like the title says: I am getting weird dependency problems with the kxstudio repos on a vanilla Debian Bullseye (the meta-packages don't install because of missing the package carla-git - but this is actually installed from these very repos). Is this a place where I could get help with that, or is there a more suitable forum out there?
LAM
Established Member

Re: kxstudio dependency problems

Post by LAM »

Have a look at the excellent @sunrat's guide Debian Bullseye with KDE Audio Workstation install guide, especially at the apt pinning part.

I would not suggest to install KXStudio metapackages anyway, a lot of stuff is outdated, is better to install the packages you need cherry picking them.

In case you want to try to install the meta-package anyway you could try to remove the "offending" package first, and let it get reinstalled by the meta-package

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Being Bullseye MX 21 and AVL MX21 packages should drop in.
Two
Established Member

Post by Two »

@bluzee: Sorry, I don't understand what this means.

@LAM: the offending package IS the meta-package for all the audio applications. True, I could circumvent this, if I knew what packages I want, but I don't. I still am not very seasoned with Linux Audio, and therefore prefer to have - apart from some main tools I use like Ardour, MuseScore, Jack, Audacity, LinuxSampler - lots of other audio software in a distribution so I can try stuff out and find things I did not know I wanted. kxStudio did that pretty well for me last time I tried. I had trouble with Ubuntu Studio, and I heard that AVLinux and 64Studio have very long release cycles, too - but I might be wrong. What distro would you people recommend?
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Deb package based distros are generally based on Ubuntu or based on Debian itself. Any based on Ubuntu can share packages within the same version. So you can install any Ubuntu 20.04 Deb into Linux Mint 20(x) because they have the same base. MX21 and AVL Linux MX21 version are based on Debian Bullseye. You can install packages from one into the other.

My suggestion would be install AVL Linux MX21 edition. It has everything all ready to go.
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Two wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:53 pm What distro would you people recommend?
Up until last week, I was running Linux Mint 20.3, which is based on Ubuntu 20.04. I was very satisfied with the distro for everyday work tasks, but when it came to audio, many of the packages were way out-of-date. Using KX Studio repos helped to a certain degree, but wasn't a full solution...they can't re-package the entire universe of audio software. So I started looking around at other distros.

I had heard good things about Arch as far as packages being up-to-date are concerned. I had also heard that it was a tweaker's paradise, which I normally enjoy. But just the process of installing it was so laborious, I just got sick of all the grunt work. Turns out I DON'T want to know about and choose from several options for every single facet of my system after all!

I knew there were a number of distros based on Arch, so I looked around for something a little more friendly but still using the arch repos. I found Manjaro. After using it for about a week, I'm mostly happy with the decision. All the major packages are up-to-date in the officially supported repos, and they also allow you to tap into the AUR, which gives you access to like 25,000 more packages. I have to say though, the AUR isn't all its cracked up to be...more often than not, I'd encounter the git version of a package, which is supposed to be the latest available, only to discover it is further out of date than the official repo. AUR is mostly just a lot of crap, though there are enough home runs that you wouldn't want to just ignore it.

I thought about AV Linux, but being based on MX didn't trip my trigger...compared to the others, MX just doesn't draw as wide an audience. Not that a wide audience is the primary goal, it's not a popularity contest, but it's generally indicative of an OS with lots of 3rd-party resources available. Just as an example, here are some google queries:

1. Query "ubuntu linux": 2,170,000,000 results
2. Query "linux mint": 59,400,000 results
3. Query "arch linux": 63,500,000 results
4. Query "manjaro linux": 12,100,000 results
5. Query "mx linux": 41,800,000 results
6. Query "av linux": 41,900,000 results

Damn, now I wish I hadn't done that little Google experiment, I've just shown myself that I picked the black sheep of the bunch. Oh well. I had no idea that MX & AV Linux had that much reach. I'll be keeping my eye on that duo, and maybe you should, too.
---scott

LinkedIn
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Distrowatch.com has a page for each linux distro it tracks, and it keeps stats on the average hits per day each distro gets. Based on those numbers over the last 6 months, MX Linux is at the top. Endeavour, Mint, and Manjaro are close on its heels.
---scott

LinkedIn
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Two wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:01 pm the meta-packages don't install because of missing the package carla-git - but this is actually installed from these very repos
I meant: you can try to remove carla-git and then try to install the meta-package. Good luck.

Two
Established Member

Post by Two »

Thank you!

I am specifically searching for a suitable distro for audio production. As far as distros generally go, I am a classic Debian user: Maybe trying something else from time to time but always going back to Debian. This is also why the kxstudio option was attractive. I was really unhappy with the Ubuntu underbelly of Ubuntu studio, esp. when it came to new releases. But let's ignore that for now.

From what I can see there are the following options:
AVLinux - way to go? I thought I read that the system was meant to be light-weight, optimised for weaker hardware, but now I cannot see that.
64Studio - old and outdated?
Ubuntu Studio - too volatile/buggy for my taste
Debian+kxStudio - ...

As for mixing sources/repos generally, I think I'd be more cautious and would like to stick with one tested setup rather than a mix of packages even within the same upstream release.

Am I missing something?
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Two wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:26 am Am I missing something?
Librazik 4 - https://librazik.tuxfamily.org/base-sit ... nglish.php

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

LAM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:22 pm Have a look at the excellent @sunrat's guide Debian Bullseye with KDE Audio Workstation install guide, especially at the apt pinning part.
I tweaked that a couple of weeks ago and devised a single pinning rule for KX:
viewtopic.php?p=144812#p144812
I would not suggest to install KXStudio metapackages anyway, a lot of stuff is outdated, is better to install the packages you need cherry picking them.
+1

I had an absolute crapload of plugins I either never used, or installed once then tested and forgot about. Been doing a massive purge and it feels good to slim the system down a bit. Really don't need 10 EQs and 12 compressors. :wink:
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Two wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:01 pm Hey all,

like the title says: I am getting weird dependency problems with the kxstudio repos on a vanilla Debian Bullseye (the meta-packages don't install because of missing the package carla-git - but this is actually installed from these very repos). Is this a place where I could get help with that, or is there a more suitable forum out there?
Could you be more specific on the problem? What package, what software etc.?

KXStudio was the way to install anything audio in the past. However, it became too much work for the maintainer. I use Ubuntu 20.04 and I had to disable certain KXStudio repo's too. Some of the KXStudio stuff is in the standard repo's of Ubuntu too and versions conflicted or something.

Anyway according to https://kx.studio/Repositories Debian 11 Bullseye is supported. I disabled the following from KXStudio in Ubuntu 20.04: And I left enabled: BTW. All the KX repo's in my Ubuntu 20.04 Focal are for 18.04 Bionic. That might say something about the usefulness of KX nowadays... As a matter of fact I just noticed that the only KXStudio app that I use is Carla. I couldn't use the Ubuntu repo's version of Carla becuase it didn't support VST3 yet, I think. So the next time I (re)install Linux I'm probably not even gonna use KX.

Probably useless for Debian but for Ardour I use: Same goes for Qtractor (my DAW of choice): And finally, Wine Staging see: Good luck in using Debian! :)
Two
Established Member

Post by Two »

Thank you all!

It was the audio-applications meta-package, which claimed to require carla-git while that was already installed.

But the more I read the more I thought it is probably time to switch my audio distro again (I used Ubuntu Studio back in the day, then went to kxStudio when it still was a distro). So now I have installed AVLinux and it is so far quite useable and neat.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

You CAN use KX Studio Repos with AV Linux but I don't include them by default and I very strongly recommend getting only whatever specific apps you want and then disabling the KX Repo.
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Is there any easy way to tell what packages were installed via a given repo? For example, how would I answer the question "what packages have been installed via http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-debian/plugins/ubuntu"?
---scott

LinkedIn