flosstudio/nvchecker-libreaudio: cross-distro project for tracking new releases

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

flosstudio/nvchecker-libreaudio: cross-distro project for tracking new releases

Post by Basslint »

https://github.com/flosstudio/nvchecker-libreaudio

This project aims to keep track of new release of FLOSS music-making software by using a standardized tool, nvchecker.

@SpotlightKid deserves much of the credit because he introduced me to nvchecker (in this thread) and indirectly inspired me (along with LibreAV by @milkii) to create a cross-distro database for keeping track of new releases of FLOSS music-making programs*.

My work is based on packages available in the GeekosDAW repository but I did not extract any data from .RPM specs excepts for those that I wrote myself, due to licensing incompatibilities with the CC0, the license I wanted to adopt for this project**.

I finished the cataloguing part (there are over 300 packages), what needs to be done is:
    1. Write the regular expressions/xpath selectors for packages not automatically parsed by nvchecker
    2. Actually use nvchecker to generate the JSON file which keeps track of new releases
    3. Write a site generator for keeping track of new versions
    I'd like to do 3), can also do 1) but I'd prefer someone with nvchecker experience to do 2) the proper way. If someone wants to help, I think the whole community can benefit from it. Who doesn't like new releases? :D

* = Actually, I had already started such a project in the past (called FLOSStudio, a name which I kept) but the original scope of that project was too big, this one is much simpler as it tracks only versioning info and the tooling already exists. Note that this is probably my last attempt ever at this kind of project.

** = Don't actually believe this kind of data can/should be copyrightable, it's not really intellectual property. As such, I went with the CC0.
    The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
    Basslint
    Established Member

Re: flosstudio/nvchecker-libreaudio: cross-distro project for tracking new releases

Post by Basslint »

By the way, I attached to this post an OPML file which can be imported into Atom readers (like Akgregator) which tracks tags from all Github repositories I indexed. It can be useful for two reasons:
    1) You can track Github tags, since Github's "watch" feature only tracks Releases
    2) You can do it without a Github account
    Of course, it is CC0 too. Enjoy!

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/floss ... ptions.xml
    The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!