Problem with AVLinux 21 and Jack

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scott.thomason
Established Member

Re: Problem with AVLinux 21 and Jack

Post by scott.thomason »

At this point, if it were me, I'd just backup my data and do a clean reinstall of whatever your favorite distro / packages are. Clean slate and take the default setups where they work.

Better yet, install Virtualbox and do your experimental setups in a VM. It's easy and fast to start-over from a given point with snapshots, and you can tweak and tweak until you get a good repeatable result you can apply to your main system.
---scott

LinkedIn
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

scott.thomason wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:22 pm Better yet, install Virtualbox and do your experimental setups in a VM. It's easy and fast to start-over from a given point with snapshots, and you can tweak and tweak until you get a good repeatable result you can apply to your main system.
Quoting myself... One more comment about using a VM: Virtualbox sends all its audio output to Pulseaudio in the hosting system, so you'll need that to work.
---scott

LinkedIn
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

foodforester1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:52 am
I do own an apology and admission to GMaq. I have to plead 'guilty as charged' as I did NOT RTFM, or look at the Jack -> Setup - Options. I am feeling well chastised.

So thank you all again for all your help.

This issue can now be declared as 'Solved' and closed.
Lol, no apologies or feelings of chastisement required... It's nothing personal at all... The setup and docs were there, I just like to see folks make use of them before making changes is all.. Now onward and upward!
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

GMaq wrote: people could try things as they are before installing other stuff and RTFM
Endusers reading the documentation? You have to admire the total lack of cynicism of Canadians.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

foodforester1
Established Member

Post by foodforester1 »

Sorry to say but gremlins attacked my PC while it was switched off overnight.

All was good through last night till I switched off - Audio through Cellestica-mpv, LMMS with various instruments including Surge through Carla in LMMS, and audio in the videos.

I started up as normal (with my MIDI controller connected) and played some mp3's while scanning the news - all good.

When I wanted to play a video - occasional squeaks and pops, otherwise no sound. QJackCtl had not auto started, so I configured a slot for it in 'Sessions and Sartup', and then started QJackCtl, and tried the video again using VLC. Same VLC error as originally found:-
Audio output failed:
The audio device "default" could not be used:
Device or resource busy.

Check if VLC is still configured for Jack output - correct.

Try both the QJackCtl -> Setup -. Interface options in the list-box with the same results.

When I go to check in Synaptic if the sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl alternate: snd_hda_intel,snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl is still installed the answer is NO???

Gremlins removed it while I was sleeping???

Reinstall from synaptic, and reboot to ensure that it is running.

$ ps aux | grep sof
root 12 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
root 19 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/1]
root 24 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/2]
root 29 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/3]
root 34 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/4]
root 39 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/5]
root 44 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/6]
root 49 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/7]
alex 3146 0.0 0.0 76316 3212 ? S 12:12 0:00 /bin/bash /usr/bin/restore-software-brightness

Based on that I guess not, and VLC is still giving the error above.

AlsaMixer seems to be returning the correct device every time, but this does not translate into audio from the headphones during a video.

LMMS with Carla and Surge XT work just fine with the Interface setup as follows - QjackCtl -> Setup -> Interface -> HW:PCH,0 ALC255 Analog (hw:0,0), always the same VLC error.

All the QjackCtl -> Setup -> Options -> Executes are as installed / stated in the manual.

Please help.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

foodforester1 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:00 am

When I go to check in Synaptic if the sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl alternate: snd_hda_intel,snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl is still installed the answer is NO???

Gremlins removed it while I was sleeping???

Reinstall from synaptic, and reboot to ensure that it is running.

$ ps aux | grep sof
root 12 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
root 19 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/1]
root 24 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/2]
root 29 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/3]
root 34 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/4]
root 39 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/5]
root 44 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/6]
root 49 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? S 12:12 0:00 [ksoftirqd/7]
alex 3146 0.0 0.0 76316 3212 ? S 12:12 0:00 /bin/bash /usr/bin/restore-software-brightness

Based on that I guess not, and VLC is still giving the error above.

AlsaMixer seems to be returning the correct device every time, but this does not translate into audio from the headphones during a video.

LMMS with Carla and Surge XT work just fine with the Interface setup as follows - QjackCtl -> Setup -> Interface -> HW:PCH,0 ALC255 Analog (hw:0,0), always the same VLC error.

All the QjackCtl -> Setup -> Options -> Executes are as installed / stated in the manual.

Please help.
Hi,

I'm not aware of nor does any Package in the default Repositories appear under that name in Synaptic here, where did that Package come from initially, that doesn't look like a Synaptic Package name at all.?
foodforester1
Established Member

Post by foodforester1 »

I have no idea where this came from. This is the relevant section of the AVMX Linux 21 MX Tools Quick System Info Report that tells me that I have the following audio setup:

Audio: Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Audio vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel alternate: snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl bus-ID: 0000:00:1f.3
chip-ID: 8086:a0c8 class-ID: 0401
Device-2: AKAI Professional M.I. APC Key 25 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio
bus-ID: 1-5:3 chip-ID: 09e8:0027 class-ID: 0103 serial: <filter>
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.16.0-18.1-liquorix-amd64 running: yes
Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.17 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 14.2 running: no

Yes I do agree, I cannot find this in Synaptic list.

The Intel Tiger Lake is listed in the file "firmware-misc-nonfree", so I guess that is where this driver come from.

Sorry, but this has taken me into areas I have no knowledge of, and did not particularly want to go.

I had hoped that AV Linux would have all the correct audio hardware 'probes' built in so as to choose all the correct drivers on installation of the relevant software and configure for the underlying / co-existing audio software and hardware. I know that ALSA and Pulse have this ability mostly buttoned up, but it sad that Jack, which is so integral to audio production, is somewhat lacking in the area of seamless integration at install time. Obviously this is not confined to AV Linux and not any form of direct AV Linux criticism.

The bridging capability is, sadly, another plus for Cadence as in - Jack ALSA Audio Bridge Type: ALSA -> PulseAudio -> Jack (Plugin) - Always On. This allowing the seamless integration of all three audio systems. This would allow the training videos and Jack related Audio production to share the same audio hardware.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

foodforester1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:11 amThe Intel Tiger Lake is listed in the file "firmware-misc-nonfree", so I guess that is where this driver come from.
Firmware and drivers are different things.
I had hoped that AV Linux would have all the correct audio hardware 'probes' built in so as to choose all the correct drivers on installation of the relevant software.
I've seen a few posts on other forums from users having issues with Tiger Lake sound. However the fact you had it working and then not working is baffling.
The bridging capability is, sadly, another plus for Cadence as in - Jack ALSA Audio Bridge Type: ALSA -> PulseAudio -> Jack (Plugin) - Always On. This allowing the seamless integration of all three audio systems. This allows the training videos and Jack related Audio production to share the same audio hardware.
AVL by default starts PA > JACK bridge when you start JACK with Qjackctl. Why you have JACK running and PA not running is also baffling.
Here I run all non-music production audio applications like VLC or browser through the PA > JACK sink.
Last edited by sunrat on Fri May 13, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

foodforester1,

I don't know why PulseAudio isn't running it should and normally would be. As far as the bridges you're talking about they are all there the only difference is instead of running at Login like Cadence does they don't run until you start things with Qjackctl.. not everybody wants JACK running all the time in fact I rarely use JACK and the bridges at all for production so the idea is if you want it you start Qjackctl and it looks after the rest. Otherwise your system handles Audio like a normal Linux Desktop system with PulseAudio.

Can you please boot from your AV Linux 21.1 Live USB Key and install the things you're trying use in a Live session and start Qjackctl with your soundcard selected and tell me if it works as you expect more or less.. Then at least we'll know if the default system without any changes is working with your hardware.
foodforester1
Established Member

Post by foodforester1 »

I have created a new Live USB from a newly downloaded AV_Linux_MX_Edition-21.1_ahs_x64.iso, downloaded using 'uget' from the Linuxaudio Download Mirror, using my currently installed MX Live USB Maker (AVL21.1), and then tried booting into that.

I had previously used Synaptic to create a "Markings" file with all the installed applications listed, and had also created a copy of the currently installed /var/cache/apt on the SSD.

Once in the newly created 'writable' USB boot environment:-

sudo rsync -av SSD:/var/cache/apt/ /USB:/var/cache/apt

I created a 'Favorite' of Synaptic, and used that, in conjunction with the previously created "Markings" file, to get Synaptic to install all the packages.

Also changed the qt5ctl to 'Disabled' profile > Apply and OK, used 'Settings Manager' > Appearance > Fonts to increase the two font sizes listed there from 10 to 16 and 14 respectively.

I tried alsamixer > F6 to select the card > only one choice 'default'. No Realtek ALC255 despite the package firmware-misc-nonfree (which lists the Tiger Lake Card) being installed.

Being firmware I naturally assumed that this would probably require a reboot in order to load, so I rebooted into the live USB.

My 'Favorite' of Synaptic was no longer in the 'Favorite' area, the fonts were back at the default 10 and there were none of the packages I had installed, using Synaptic. The USB was NOT persistent / writable like I had been lead to believe from the MX Live USB Maker.

The above procedure (MX Live USB Maker) was tried twice using the same .iso file, and is a reapet of exactly how I installed on SSD originally. The only difference being that the original USB was created using AVLinux 19 and the last two attempts using AVLinux 21.1.

Is the .iso from Linuxaudio Download Mirror possibly faulty? It takes about two hours in the morning to download that file size, and the morning download speeds are considerably faster than the afternoon and evening, over our very long ADSL cable (6.5Km). From my 18 year old memory of these things, the ADSL spec. states MaxCableDistance = 4Km from DSLAM at the exchange to furthest user.

For this reason I am loath to try another download from a different mirror today and would have to start the whole process tomorrow morning from a different mirror.
foodforester1
Established Member

Post by foodforester1 »

I can absolutely confirm that the USB's created by MX Live USB Maker (AVL21.1) are NOT writable as I have also tried this with debian-live-11.2.0-amd64-kde nonfree.iso. While I did install partclone to the resultant disk to clone a partition on another PC, after rebooting to the internal disk, there was no trace of *clone* found by kfind on that USB.

I am now going to try a different live USB maker from Lubuntu 22.04 to see if that is able to create a persistent Live USB.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Live USBs from any Distro are never writable by default and don't maintain changes across reboots. However Bootable ISO's made with MX Live USB Maker have an option at boot to enable persistence by hitting the F5 key and selecting persistence. Then your changes should be preserved.

*Note this is an MX feature not specific to AV Linux and if you need to press F5 every time you boot to have a persistent session
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

GMaq wrote: press F5 to have a persistent session
Given the lack of cooperation foodforester1 has gotten from his system, he's not dealing with a persistent session, so much as a resistant session.

"I will not boot with session live. I will not boot with key F5. I will not boot with jack at all. I will not boot with your firewall. I will not boot to your desktop. Your audio will start and stop. There's nothing left for you to do. So throw away that Ubuntu."

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks Jeff, I think the Brill building is still hiring..?

I've just encountered these internal sound chips that require special external firmware in the last month, I think that is the main issue here if we can get back down to it..
foodforester1
Established Member

Post by foodforester1 »

Regarding persistent booting, I found that lubuntu-19.10-desktop-amd64 had a very good live-boot-with-persistence maker, which I have used successfully over the intervening years with a number of Debian-based.iso distributions.

Based on that I assumed that 22.04 would be an "improvement" - WRONG!!!!!! Much like the last two years has "improved" our lives and economies - backwards. So YES Jeff, I will most definitely be "throwing that one" far away, thank you. A total waste of time and download budget.

GMaq, Thanks for the F5 tip. I will try that and report back.