AVLinux 21 and compositor animations

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

martibs
Established Member

AVLinux 21 and compositor animations

Post by martibs »

So I've just updated to the latest AVL release, which has Openbox replacing XFWM. When opening new windows/menus, switching desktops etc., there is a smooth, gentle animation that fades the new view into focus. As life is too short sitting around waiting for these window animations, I'm trying to disable them, so that I can spend time aimlessly scrolling Instagram instead.
But I can not firgure out what is handling the window compositing, and how I can turn it off. Anyone knows?
GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVLinux 21 and compositor animations

Post by GMaq »

martibs wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:42 pm So I've just updated to the latest AVL release, which has Openbox replacing XFWM. When opening new windows/menus, switching desktops etc., there is a smooth, gentle animation that fades the new view into focus. As life is too short sitting around waiting for these window animations, I'm trying to disable them, so that I can spend time aimlessly scrolling Instagram instead.
But I can not firgure out what is handling the window compositing, and how I can turn it off. Anyone knows?
Wow, you must really be in a hurry!

AVL-MXE-Assistant-->Quick Settings-->Window Compositor Settings-->Fade Tab
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

Great, thanks! As a millennial, I have reduced attention span, and if I wait for the animations, I forget what I was supposed to do.

I've got it mostly figured out by now, but how do I disable animations on tooltips?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

martibs wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:04 pm Great, thanks! As a millennial, I have reduced attention span, and if I wait for the animations, I forget what I was supposed to do.

I've got it mostly figured out by now, but how do I disable animations on tooltips?
Try opening ~/.config/compton.conf with a text editor and scroll down to these lines:
tooltip :
{
fade = true;
shadow = false;
opacity = 0.9;
focus = true;
};
change 'fade =' to 'false' and see if that does it..