Ubuntu-Studio Plug-ins GUI broken in Ardour

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jafarzangeneh
Established Member

Ubuntu-Studio Plug-ins GUI broken in Ardour

Post by jafarzangeneh »

hi.
The interface of some plugins is not shown in Ardur(in ubuntu studio KDE). But before I worked with AV Linux, I did not have this problem. Can anyone help me? thank you
sprock
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu-Studio Plug-ins GUI broken in Ardour

Post by sprock »

I had that problem with eq10q (and all its versions) in both Ubuntu Studio 18.04 and 20.04.

Solution was to download it from here: http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/?page_id=16

Then first uninstall the old version (that came from the ubuntu repositories):

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt remove eq10q
After that go to the download directory and make the installer executable:

$ chmod +x eq10q_2.2_installer.run
And then run the installer:

$ sudo ./eq10q_2.2_installer.run
In the process I had to accept with a "yes" two times (something about gcc5 and something else, whatever it was, both times yes).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(That eq10q is affected was just an assumption of mine. Which plugins are affected in your case?)
jafarzangeneh
Established Member

Post by jafarzangeneh »

Many plugins have this problem. Such as ardor community.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

I'm curious as to whether KDE is worth having other things not work...? What is the problem with AV Linux (other than it isn't KDE?)
novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

GMaq wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:40 pm I'm curious as to whether KDE is worth having other things not work...? What is the problem with AV Linux (other than it isn't KDE?)
I would guess that those problems have nothing to do with the plasma desktop (aka KDE). I am on Debian bullseye using LXQT which is still a tad bit more lightweight than plasma. However i have KDE installed on that machine and loaded an Ardour session just to make sure everything works as suspected. It does. Loaded ACE, Calf, LSP, x42, zam and even some win plugins. No problems with anything.

I can only guess what made the OP switch from AVL to *buntu. If it was for KDE, he could have installed the plasma desktop inside AVL an try it out, couldn't he?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

There are some threads here and there about people preferring Ubuntu Studio most often because of the Plasma D.E. which for a specialized Distro that works well 'as-is' is kind of incomprehensible to me and I would feel exactly the same if things were going the other way round... I have no reason to dislike Ubuntu Studio we are on the same team here... I completely understand in the world of basic Desktop Linux switching and mixing and matching what you want but in a dedicated OS full of tweaks and features built into the D.E. it seems very superficial and short-sighted to want to switch if everything else works well...sorry :roll:

AV Linux has dozens of Audio/Video Custom Actions and service menus built into Thunar, it has GTK/Yad based utilities to simplify common things and assist with Yabridge etc. It has QT5 stuff all matching nicely OOTB and numerous other behind the scenes tweaks and helper scripts.. Can you install KDE Plasma, or Gnome or Mate or Budgie or or or?? Yes, you can... but the system was not built, intended or prepared with any expectation toward that and I would guess if you're not an experienced Linux user it's going to end up being kind of a mess at least for a while and if you ditch Thunar in particular you're throwing a lot of baby out with the bathwater..

I don't look at AVL in terms of it's D.E. I look at it as a holistic product that for many practical reasons happens to use XFCE4 as the best of a bunch of imperfect choices and for balancing resource usage with functionality and ability to customize. I look at it as the stage, not the show... People of course have ample choice out there, there are reasons to not like or use AV Linux but when I see people writing "I installed DistroX and now this that and the other doesn't work it was all working in AVL" I'm not going to lie it kinda irks me..
Last edited by GMaq on Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I was checking the new 22.04 release of Ubuntu Studio on a live usb earlier, so I checked this. The plugins were working fine. I checked a bunch of the community edition ones and some others in Ardour (Version 6.9) and they showed without problem. I don't know what version of Ubuntu Studio you are using but you should check out the latest one if not using it already.
novalix wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:43 am I can only guess what made the OP switch from AVL to *buntu. If it was for KDE, he could have installed the plasma desktop inside AVL an try it out, couldn't he?
Installing different desktops in an installed distro is something I found to be a form of extreme masochism. I wouldn't recommend it, personally. Most distros have their own configured flavours, so easier just to install the right one or as Gmaq said, you are going to be wiping the customising that is the point of the distro.
novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

Largos wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:11 pm Installing different desktops in an installed distro is something I found to be a form of extreme masochism. I wouldn't recommend it, personally. Most distros have their own configured flavours, so easier just to install the right one or as Gmaq said, you are going to be wiping the customising that is the point of the distro.
If i were an AVL-User i would most probably work with the default DE and get used to it. But then, if i would want to try out KDE, i would just install it, log into it and see what i 've got.
There will be problems for sure. If i find out i can't handle it, i go back to the default DE, deinstall KDE (or leave it there for future experiments) and be merry with all the good stuff the creator provided.
That doesn't seem overly "masochistic" to me compared to installing a whole new system.
But then, i am a debian user. There is not a lot of desktop customization provided in that system. Switching desktops is usually an "apt* install task-{gnome,kde,whatever}-desktop" away.
jafarzangeneh
Established Member

Post by jafarzangeneh »

GMaq wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:40 pm I'm curious as to whether KDE is worth having other things not work...? What is the problem with AV Linux (other than it isn't KDE?)
I am not a professional Linux user. The only reason I did not like avl linux because it was so ugly. I had worked with Ubuntu before and I was more comfortable with it.
I am using the latest version of Ubuntu Studio. Even in the live version, I have the same problem with ardour plugins.
I had the same problem in the previous Ubuntu studio until I migrated to avl linux and saw the plugin interface for the first time. But the avl desktop was not tolerable for me. I think I should install another desktop on avl.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Does anybody know why exactly some GUI's are broken? If I'm not mistaken then certain plugins won't show their GUI in Reaper (could be another DAW, I forgot) because their GUI was written for Gnome 2 with GTK2.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

jafarzangeneh wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:02 am The only reason I did not like avl linux because it was so ugly.
Well thanks for that! :roll:

You do know there are literally dozens of other XFCE4 and Openbox system themes of all possible colors in the Package Manager you can install. And thousands of themes at other places like gnome-look.org and tens of thousands of wallpapers on the internet right? FWIW the latest AVL 21.1 point release added a lighter Diehard theme variant in response to Users not all liking a dark theme.

It can also be found here: http://bandshed.net/packages/AV_LINUX_M ... -1_all.deb
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

ardourplugins2.jpg
ardourplugins2.jpg (222.69 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
This is how they look for me using the ubuntu studio 22.04 live boot. It's difficult for me to compare as you are giving no details about what you are using to help people trouble shoot your problem. Some actual plugin names would help, all I have to go on is some community edition ones but if those in the picture don't work for you, then it's something specific to your system. Maybe graphics drivers.

You could also try this https://labs.fedoraproject.org/en/jam/ it uses KDE as well afaik but I have not tried it personally.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Those are not the ACE Plugin UI's so it appears Ubstu must not ship an official ardour.org binary package.

AVL ships the ardour.org version so you will get the full ACE UI's (and also the Harrison Plugin Demos) so that at least explains some of the UI differences.. AVL also ships it's own custom Plugin pack with the EQ10 Plugins among others from the developers site that are known to work properly in Ardour.

As far as 'ugly' that is the exact same Papirus icon set that AV Linux uses... If I installed a breeze influenced theme downloaded the UbStu wallpaper and made a couple of changes to the XFCE4-Panel that screenshot would look 99.3% the same (except with properly working Ardour UI's) :wink: