'MXDE'! (aka an AV Linux Base..)

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

'MXDE'! (aka an AV Linux Base..)

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Over the years more than a few people have asked me about a base system with all the behind the scenes AV Linux stuff but not full of Plugins and DAWs and other stuff they don't use or want, kind of a Linux Audio blank slate. Well this is as close to happening as this will ever get. I needed a fast and light system to keep my very old but very beloved 32bit CoreDuo Dell Inspiron laptop going and I have always loved the fast simplicity of LXDE (AV Linux was based on LXDE for many of it's early years) so it is based on LXDE in both 32bit and 64bit versions. If you like KDE Plasma or Gnome you probably want to move on and snicker into your sleeve but if you want something light, fast and attractive that gets you to your applications quickly and stays out of the way I think you may like this... With the included Debian + Incredible MX Repos you can install pretty much anything you may want. Also if you want a 32bit system to make an old PC useful as a dedicated recorder the basics are all here!

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 63#p677263
Last edited by GMaq on Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: 'MXDE'! (aka an AV Linux Base..)

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Oh yes. I was just about to install "regular" AVLinux, with the plan to manually remove unneeded stuff via synaptic. But this will do.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

miuzik
Established Member

Re: 'MXDE'! (aka an AV Linux Base..)

Post by miuzik »

Congratulations for this decision. It's like a Debian music spin. I will follow the progression of this new MX option and happy for this news.