AV Linux Kernel Repository discontinued.

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux Kernel Repository discontinued.

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

The following Blog article is for Users of AV Linux MX Edition based on MX-19/Debian Buster, this doesn't apply to Users of the newly released AV Linux MX-21 Edition.

http://www.bandshed.net/2022/02/16/av-l ... continued/

Thanks, Glen
federico7979
Established Member

Re: AV Linux Kernel Repository discontinued.

Post by federico7979 »

hello everyone, new here, sorry to bother requesting something and not giving something back (yet):
I was wondering if someone knows where to get archived versions of Avlinux. I need this one which was working perfectly for my usecase:

https://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/avlinux/i ... 9.4.10.iso
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Sorry, even I don't have a version that old archived...

What is it you need that is so specific?
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

federico7979 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:08 pm hello everyone, new here, sorry to bother requesting something and not giving something back (yet):
I was wondering if someone knows where to get archived versions of Avlinux. I need this one which was working perfectly for my usecase:

https://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/avlinux/i ... 9.4.10.iso
I think, according to a list of archived stuff I used to try to keep) I still have that one on an unconnected old backup drive of things I tested someday but don't anymore (and it's probably one of the most recent stuff on that old half-dead drive :D )
If by chance the drive light up and doesn't burn *and* thhe hoped ISO is actually on it do you have a place (net drive or so) where I could upload it? (if so tell me on PM unless GMaq wants it too and give a link to where I may upload it ;)

note: According to my loglist if I can find the drive and it's still able to launch that'd be this file:

Code: Select all

19b7365288e42e60995c3b4aad869b2decb3dfc15232df47518418a989083ec4  /media/GREENEARS2/ISOs/isotester-avl64-2019.4.10.iso
federico7979
Established Member

Post by federico7979 »

Wow thank you very much for your fast replies!

Well, the thing is, I use an old PC with firewire alesis IO26 with extra 8 input channels connected via fiber cable, using reaper and jackd+alsa for recording my band, guitars, bass, drums, vocals,etc... . And I had to reinstall due to a disk failure, I got the AV newest version and the kernel used is too new, and had some issues with video, firewire, clipping recordings and so on, I spent a weekend solving most of the problems, ended up with ubuntustudio, in my mind, distros don't matter, any distro could do the same if I properly set it, the thing is, I had not too much time to invest on this and getting back to the system I used to had, was quite faster than solving new kernel/distro's issues. At first glance I thought kernel could be the problem, and getting ubuntustudio with an older kernel allowed me to get back on the road, the thing is I still have some clipping issues which did not happen when I was in AVL, testing with samplerates on jackd, allowed me to partially solve everything, but AVL worked better in my opinion, still thinking some kernel issues could be the cause.
So, I should go back to investing more time on this or just going back to AVL (which seems much more sane to me, is an isolated PC with no internet connection, no need to worry about kernel security by now, probably never). Just wondering if this specific ISO was still somewhere around. If this is possible, excellent, otherwise, more time to invest... honestly I love investing time on things like this but nowadays my spare time is quite reduced.

Thank you very much in advance for the help on tracking this avl image. By the way Loki, if you happen to find that drive, I think torrent could be great , so I could also keep a seed on that one in case someone else is looking for it.

PS: do you consider it could be helpful to share my experience with AVL and share my experiments which allowed me recording everything at home with an old pc and this IO26 firewire plus 8 channels using fiber cable with reaper+jackd ?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

OK that is very kind of @Loki Harfagr and much appreciated but I'm not super thrilled about the idea of going back in time to a product based on a different base with a kernel known to be missing security patches..

I think your problem here is mostly the kernel and we have options... First see this from the AV Linux Manual:
The Kernel Conundrum

On any Linux system the Kernel is the core that everything runs on, it provides the framework that
connects all the Hardware in your computer to the Software applications to use. The better match a
Kernel is to your individual computer the better your system will work. The Linux Kernel is absolutely
mindblowing in the huge amount of Hardware it supports over various needs from old PCs to the latest
Smartphones. In a case like AVL-MXE I am hoping to support anything from new computers to machines
that are more than ten years old. Old computers are excellent candidates to set up as dedicated
recording ‘appliances’ and even old Single and Duo Core machines can record several tracks of Audio quite
easily. When trying to support computers over such a span of age and additionally provide the best low
latency performance for Audio recording it becomes difficult for a single choice of Linux Kernel to be all
things to all people.

The primary focus of AVL-MXE is to be a Multimedia Workstation and enable the user to create content
with the best possible performance. To this end in the past I provided a customized Kernel with ‘full
preemption’ also known as an ‘RT’ Kernel. RT Kernels provided the best potential to provide the low Audio
latencies required but they were somewhat like racing engines and were not always the best choice for all
computers, they also had a crippling limitation of not easily being open to the installation of 3rd-party
proprietary Video drivers by AMD and nVidia so if the Kernel Xorg AMD Drivers are not to your liking or
you needed better nVidia support the default RT Kernel in AVL-MXE was not the best choice.
The first thing to determine is if everything is working as you want and expect, if your Hardware is all
supported and Software is all behaving as you expect then my suggestion is to leave the Kernel as it is and
not make any changes. A common fallacy is that a newer Kernel is a better Kernel and that is often not the
case, if your system is well-supported and you are confident that the Kernel has all of the appropriate
security patches then installing a newer Kernel could introduce new issues and actually have a
detrimental effect. The old adage “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” is a good rule to follow!

Starting with AV Linux MX-21 Edition the ‘Liquorix’ Kernel is now the default offered. Liquorix has long
been known for it’s high-performance and on most systems it provides equivalent if not better Audio
latency performance than full-preempted ‘RT’ Kernels, additionally it allows for the installation of
Proprietary nVidia and AMD Video Drivers.
The 5.16 Liquorix Kernel in AVL-MXE 21.1 is merely the default offering, there are a multitude of Kernels to install provided by MX, Debian and even antiX.. In AVL-MXE 21.1 if you open the MX Package installer (MXPI) select the search string 'linux-image-5.10' you will see there are several choice including an -rt choice which will give you full -rt preempt like that older version of AV Linux did.. Perhaps this Kernel is old enough to provide the features you need without being too new for your hardware.. That is probably a better place to start and from there we can look at whether to configure with alsa-firewire or the older firewire stack method because there are also 2 ways of setting up Firewire devices which may simply be your issue as well..
mxpi-kernel.png
mxpi-kernel.png (142.05 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
federico7979
Established Member

Post by federico7979 »

Gmaq, thanks for that information, I did not know there were those -rt kernels on the repos, I tested some but not all of them with the very same results, honestly I cannot recall which ones where the ones I tried.
Regarding the two ways of using firewire, yep, I tried both, jackd+alsa was the best option in my case, using directly firewire without snd_dice module seemed not to work initially, when I first got into this, when the iso I was mentioning was the fresh thing.

I think I can take another disk or usb , and give it a try on what you're mentioning. I will be posting here my results in some weeks probably.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

federico7979 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:47 pm Gmaq, thanks for that information, I did not know there were those -rt kernels on the repos, I tested some but not all of them with the very same results, honestly I cannot recall which ones where the ones I tried.
Regarding the two ways of using firewire, yep, I tried both, jackd+alsa was the best option in my case, using directly firewire without snd_dice module seemed not to work initially, when I first got into this, when the iso I was mentioning was the fresh thing.

I think I can take another disk or usb , and give it a try on what you're mentioning. I will be posting here my results in some weeks probably.
One more thing..

For even older 4.XX series kernels you can also find some antiX kernel builds in MX Package manager 'Popular Applications' -->'Kernels'. Note these kernels are not rt preempt but they are highly recommended for older computers, that is the reason they are made available. In my experience years ago with FireWire devices RT preempt didn't always make that big of a latency difference, it seemed to be more beneficial for USB and PCI devices.
mxpi-kernel-antiX.png
mxpi-kernel-antiX.png (105 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

How can I install the lowlatency version of the Liquorix kernel?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

martibs wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:35 pm How can I install the lowlatency version of the Liquorix kernel?
All Liquorix Kernels are tuned with 'hard-preemption' for low latency, there is only one version..

https://liquorix.net/#features
federico7979
Established Member

Post by federico7979 »

GMaq wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:04 pm
federico7979 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:47 pm Gmaq, thanks for that information, I did not know there were those -rt kernels on the repos, I tested some but not all of them with the very same results, honestly I cannot recall which ones where the ones I tried.

One more thing..

For even older 4.XX series kernels you can also find some antiX kernel builds in MX Package manager 'Popular Applications' -->'Kernels'. Note these kernels are not rt preempt but they are highly recommended for older computers, that is the reason they are made available. In my experience years ago with FireWire devices RT preempt didn't always make that big of a latency difference, it seemed to be more beneficial for USB and PCI devices.

mxpi-kernel-antiX.png
antiX did the trick! Thank you very much for clearing this up for me!
I had another small issue with pulseaudio which did not allow me to use alsa_in / alsa_out devices but as I use this uniquely for using jackd, I disabled pulse and everything went well as it used to.

Again, thank you all for the help, and sorry for my delayed response.
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

Hi.

I was wondering the status of two packages and if they were available: aloop and linvst

Thanks!
Brian
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

canezila wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:57 pm I was wondering the status of two packages and if they were available: aloop and linvst
LinVST is available from Github. In the new AVL-MXE it is replaced by Yabridge which is more actively developed and more functional.
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

Good to know. Thank you!