Replacement for pipewire-jack-dropin (404 in AUR)

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Replacement for pipewire-jack-dropin (404 in AUR)

Post by GraysonPeddie »

With the removal of pipewire-jack-dropin in AUR, I have had to use a different graphing application such as Pipewire or Catia. Until I figured out that I need to use either Qjackctl, Patchage, or Catia, I have been struggling to find out how to get Carla to show me the list of audio devices' inputs and outputs. Upgrading Pipewire (including pipewire-jack) from 0.3.43-1 to 0.3.43-5 in Arch Linux conflicts with jack2 package in Arch Linux, so I said "yes" and let it upgrade and the whole thing messed up once I rebooted my machine. I had to do something that required the removal of pipewire-jack-dropin and as I needed to redownload the package from the AUR again, now the package is not available!

The package "pipewire-jack-dropin" exposes the list of audio devices to Carla.
pipewire_carla_dropin.jpg
pipewire_carla_dropin.jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
Without the "pipewire-jack-dropin" package, this is what it looks like:
pipewire_carla_nodropin.jpg
pipewire_carla_nodropin.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
I had to download cadence-git from the AUR because the "cadence" package has a hard dependency for "jack2" and because of that, installing Cadence requires a removal of pipewire-jack. To get Catia, I had to download the "cadence-git" from the AUR. Now Catia sees Carla as a JACK client without the "pipewire-jack-dropin" package:
pipewire_catia.jpg
pipewire_catia.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
Catia does look better than Patchage, which works as well, but it's too ugly for my liking. However, Carla does look better than Catia due to the spacing of ports.

For those wondering: I do make use of PulseAudio-Jack module, as Pipewire-Pulse does not support 5.1 surround sound when using Proton or Wine. For example, in a native version of Portal (without Steam's Proton), I get 5.1 surround sound, but with Proton and Wine, I only get stereo sound. With PulseAudio standalone and along with JACK module, I get full 5.1 surround sound. However, this curiosity is off-topic and beyond the scope of my thread.
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire ... issues/876

How can I make Carla function similar to Catia and Patchage? The only way I know is to install the "pipewire-jack-dropin" package, but like I said, it's gone from AUR.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: Replacement for pipewire-jack-dropin (404 in AUR)

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I have a solution for those who came across my thread.
carla_multiple_clients.jpg
carla_multiple_clients.jpg (172.2 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
Simply change from Patchbay (default) to Multiple Clients next to Process Mode and you should be good to go after restarting Carla. That's just one simple change that I did not think about.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.