No menu entry to install AVLinux MX Edition

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

delete000
Established Member

No menu entry to install AVLinux MX Edition

Post by delete000 »

I have a bootable AVLinux MX Edition on USB and would like to install it to give it a proper spin. The manual says that if I right-click anywhere on the desktop I should get a menu whose first entry is the installation option. However, when I right-click all I get is a desktop switcher.

Anybody else run into this? Is there an installation command I could use instead?
GMaq
Established Member

Re: No menu entry to install AVLinux MX Edition

Post by GMaq »

delete000 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:54 pm I have a bootable AVLinux MX Edition on USB and would like to install it to give it a proper spin. The manual says that if I right-click anywhere on the desktop I should get a menu whose first entry is the installation option. However, when I right-click all I get is a desktop switcher.

Anybody else run into this? Is there an installation command I could use instead?
That is very odd, which version did you download? 'Scroll-click' will change Virtual Desktops but 'Right-Click' on the right mouse button should give you the Openbox menu and the Installer entry.

try 'sudo minstall' in a terminal and then enter 'demo' if it asks for a password and see if that brings up the installer..
delete000
Established Member

Post by delete000 »

I'm running the AVL-MXE-2021.06.18-xfce4-openbox-amd64 ISO on a Dell XPS 13 9300 laptop via a bootable USB stick.

Invoking the installer via the command line works. Is it safe to carry on with installation if the live version does not work as expected?
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

It's perfectly safe. Glenn has an "escape network" ready to go in the event he has to flee from angry endusers whose systems melted down like a recharging iPhone. So, there's no threat to him whatsoever.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

delete000 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:54 pm I'm running the AVL-MXE-2021.06.18-xfce4-openbox-amd64 ISO on a Dell XPS 13 9300 laptop via a bootable USB stick.

Invoking the installer via the command line works. Is it safe to carry on with installation if the live version does not work as expected?
This seems like a mouse/touchpad driver issue if you don't have right-click working properly not really any cause for security concern. Do you have a USB wired or wireless mouse you could try and test if right click is working?

My only concern about installing is if your touchpad isn't working Live then it may not on the installed system either so it would be nice to identify what's going on with that first..