Slight connection problem ZynAddSubFX

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Chipfryer
Established Member

Slight connection problem ZynAddSubFX

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi folks. I looked at the following page on Rosegarden on setting up ZynAddSubFX which is pretty neat by the way.
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tutorial ... n/zyn.html
Sorry my image is not too bright I hope you can make it out?

On the Tutorial it shows ZynAdd on the output side and even though mine is running I don't see it listed. (My imposed image next to the connections. All I see is Rosegarden and system on both sides. Alsa Pcm is also missing from the input side. Am I missing something? Everything is set to Alsa.

No rush I have plenty to play with.
Thank you.
raboof
Established Member

Re: Slight connection problem ZynAddSubFX

Post by raboof »

Chipfryer wrote:On the Tutorial it shows ZynAdd on the output side and even though mine is running I don't see it listed
That's your problem.
Alsa Pcm is also missing from the input side.
That's no problem: alsa_pcm has been renamed to 'system'.
Am I missing something? Everything is set to Alsa.
Have you started zynaddsubfx with '-A'? You shouldn't do that - zynaddsubfx should use JACK, not ALSA/OSS. If you already started zynaddsubfx without '-A', start it from the commandline and show the output at the console, and see if you see anything interesting in the JACK 'Messages' window.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi Raboof.
I appear to be lost again? Start it with -A? I run mint and launch it from the button not terminal... I probably didn't make much sense apologies. I'll try launching it from Terminal and see what messages I receive? Many thanks Raboof.
raboof wrote: Have you started zynaddsubfx with '-A'? You shouldn't do that - zynaddsubfx should use JACK, not ALSA/OSS. If you already started zynaddsubfx without '-A', start it from the commandline and show the output at the console, and see if you see anything interesting in the JACK 'Messages' window.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

I launched Jack as usual then loaded Zyn from Alt/F2
The following appeared. There are no error messages in Jack and I didn't run Sudo.
At the bottom it states running OSS instead...

I ran Zyn help from Terminal and the following appeared again. (See below also).

AFTER RUNNING HELP.
lash_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service '14541'
lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
lash_init: could not connect to server 'localhost' - disabling LASH

Usage: zynaddsubfx [OPTION]

-h , --help display command-line help and exit
-l file, --load=FILE loads a .xmz file
-L file, --load-instrument=FILE loads a .xiz file
-r SR, --sample-rate=SR set the sample rate SR
-b BS, --buffer-size=SR set the buffer size (granularity)
-o OS, --oscil-size=OS set the ADsynth oscil. size
-S , --swap swap Left <--> Right
-D , --dump Dumps midi note ON/OFF commands
-U , --no-gui Run ZynAddSubFX without user interface
-A , --not-use-jack Use OSS/ALSA instead of JACK

============================================
FIRST TRY

ZynAddSubFX - Copyright (c) 2002-2005 Nasca Octavian Paul
Compiled: Feb 11 2008 12:53:23
This program is free software (GNU GPL v.2) and
it comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Try 'zynaddsubfx --help' for command-line options.
Sound Buffer Size = 256 samples
Internal latency = 5.8 ms
ADsynth Oscil.Size = 512 samples

ERROR: Cannot make a jack client (possible reasons: JACK server is not running or jackd is launched by root and zynaddsubfx by another user.).

Using OSS instead.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Chipfryer wrote:There are no error messages in Jack and I didn't run Sudo. At the bottom it states running OSS instead...

Code: Select all

ERROR: Cannot make a jack client (possible reasons: JACK server is not running or jackd is launched by root and zynaddsubfx by another user.).

Using OSS instead.
And other JACK applications do find JACK without problems?
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi Raboof.
Yes it appears that its only Zyn related. The Virtual Midi Keyboard picks up and plays Hydrogen just fine, not so Zyn.
raboof wrote:
Chipfryer wrote:There are no error messages in Jack and I didn't run Sudo. At the bottom it states running OSS instead...

Using OSS instead.
And other JACK applications do find JACK without problems?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Chipfryer wrote:The Virtual Midi Keyboard picks up and plays Hydrogen just fine, not so Zyn.
And Hydrogen does show up in the qjackctl 'audio' tab? Strange. Perhaps download and compile ZynAddSubFx from source yourself?
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Sorry Raboof.
Yes Hydrogen shows up where it should, in the left field plane. Actually I just got Zyn to load there too which is odd. Is there a sequence to starting up? (Prefered) i.e. Jack >> Hydrogen >> Rosegarden >> QSynth and so on?
Quite frustrating really.

Thanks Raboof. I know I'm nearly there with all of this, it really is getting Rosegarden to see Zyn via connections. I guess I'll try some variations on start up and see what happens?

Many thanks.
raboof wrote:
Chipfryer wrote:The Virtual Midi Keyboard picks up and plays Hydrogen just fine, not so Zyn.
And Hydrogen does show up in the qjackctl 'audio' tab? Strange. Perhaps download and compile ZynAddSubFx from source yourself?
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Hi,

it shouldn't have anything to do with the order in which the apps are executed. The only thing is to start jackd at the beginning (usually with qjackctl).
I'd try to compile zynaddsubfx as raboof suggests. I recommend to do it from svn. I had some problems with the version at the repositories (it freezed quite often) and now it works nicely.

hth,

Gerard.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Hi Yeri thank you.
Hmmm the compiling thing. Never done that but of course but I realize that if I want to get things done it is what I need to do. Mine froze too from the repo as did Hydrogen in fact. When I got 0.9.4 from Hydrogen I found it ran much sweeter, in fact no problems at all, it runs like a dream. That however was of course pre-compiled from someone on that forum. (Thank you to him/her).

Q.
General instructions for compiling and how do I know which is the latest please? I guess the svn date right?
I'll look on this tomorrow Yeri and thanks very much for the info.
Keep well.
Yeri wrote:Hi,

it shouldn't have anything to do with the order in which the apps are executed. The only thing is to start jackd at the beginning (usually with qjackctl).
I'd try to compile zynaddsubfx as raboof suggests. I recommend to do it from svn. I had some problems with the version at the repositories (it freezed quite often) and now it works nicely.

hth,

Gerard.
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

To get the svn code of zynaddsubfx type:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@zynaddsubfx.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/zynaddsubfx login
(hit enter when asked for the CVS passwd), and

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@zynaddsubfx.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/zynaddsubfx co -P zynaddsubfx
cd into the created zynaddsubfx dir.
Check README.txt for compilation instructions and system requirements (the packages you need to install before you can compile zynaddsubfx). You'll see that you'd edit src/Makefile.inc to set the sound options you want.
Finally, a simple 'make' command should compile everything and create the zynaddsubfx executable (remember to launch zynaddsubfx from this executable to run the new version rather than the old one installed on your system).
Let us know if it works (or report any problems in case it doesn't).. Good luck :)

EDIT: You can also compile the latest stable version instead of the extremely latest (svn), going to https://sourceforge.net/projects/zynaddsubfx/ and downloading it. The compilation procedure is the same in any case.

Gerard.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Thanks very much indeed Gerard. :D
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Perhaps it might be nice to put this information somewhere else, i.e. at the wiki.
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

raboof wrote:Perhaps it might be nice to put this information somewhere else, i.e. at the wiki.
I agree. It'd be good to report that some undesired behaviour is experienced at some repositories' versions that it is not experienced if compiled from source, but I'm not sure where in the wiki would it fit. Maybe as a note in the zynaddsubfx part in the linux audio software section ?
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

That's interesting.
I'm still not sure about Ubuntu or 64Studio? My pref would be 64 all the way. What is that OS based on? Does anyone know please?

Thanks.