AVL MXe upgrading Debian sources

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

martibs
Established Member

AVL MXe upgrading Debian sources

Post by martibs »

Can the Debian sources is AVLinux MX-Edition be switched from 'buster' to 'bullseye', and then upgrade the system to Debian 11 packages?
sunrat
Established Member

Re: AVL MXe upgrading Debian sources

Post by sunrat »

It will break your system.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I would be lying if I said you can't do that because I did exactly that on the particular test system I'm typing this on...BUT!

You need to be aware it won't go smoothly and apt/dpkg will probably barf on it's shoes a few times and fail and need you to to uninstall a package here and there before it will continue.. So.. If you are experienced with Debian systems and Debian command line package tools you might find despite a few bumps it succeeds or you might as @sunrat says 'break your system'..

I also don't recommend doing it because when Debian jumps a whole version there are lots of new things that may or may not work with the existing older configuration files on your system from the previous Debian version. As an example Debian Bullseye has removed all support for QT4 applications so if you have an older QT4 program you are still using the upgrade will remove it without asking... also XFCE4 4.16 has some major changes from XFCE4 4.14 and has moved completely to GTK3 so there are things like the Panel that have subtle differences and don't work like before..

I'm aware that Bullseye is out and I know AVL-MXE needs to be moved to Bullseye and that's what I'm testing and working on right now... For the best experience I strongly suggest waiting for the next actual AVL-MXE 2021 Bullseye-based ISO to come out, back up all your data and start with a fresh install when the time comes. Other than a couple of new Plugins what doesn't work on the existing AVL-MXE release?
Last edited by GMaq on Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

GMaq wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:02 amYou need to be aware it won't go smoothly and apt/dpkg will probably barf on it's shoes a few times and fail and need you to to uninstall a package here and there before it will continue.. So.. If you are experienced with Debian systems and Debian command line package tools you might find despite a few bumps it succeeds and you might as @sunrat says 'break your system'..
I should have qualified my statement - "If you have to ask, it will break your system". :mrgreen:
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

GMaq wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:02 am Other than a couple of new Plugins what doesn't work on the existing AVL-MXE release?
I was looking to get some (non-audio) packages from the Debian 11 repos, like Podman, but I can wait until the distro upgrade.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Have you looked in 'MX-Tools'-->'MX Package Installer'-->'Test' Repo tab?

MX does a tremendous job of packaging a lot of backports and things, I've found a lot of handy stuff in their 'Test' Repo... :wink:
Last edited by GMaq on Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

GMaq wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:34 am Have you looked in 'MX-Tools'-->'MX Package Installer'-->'Test' Repo tab?

MX does a tremendous job of packing a lot of backports and things, I've found a lot of handy stuff in their 'Test' Repo... :wink:
They also respond kindly to package requests. There is a dedicated thread on MX forum.