Resolved. Gentoo , Jack , mmap , RME Hammerfal Multiface II

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

deleteria
Established Member

Resolved. Gentoo , Jack , mmap , RME Hammerfal Multiface II

Post by deleteria »

Hello, please can you help me to understand why doesn't Jack want to start? I use it on Gentoo with a dsp RME Hammerfal II. I use this system by many years, by 2009 with an Maudio Delta 66, that run still now very well, and a Creative XFi that runs well too. Since 3 years ago with the Multiface II , that one month ago started to give problems: when i start jack, appears a message that say:
"ALSA: mmap-based access is not possible for the capture stream of this audio interface"
And i do not know how to remove this mmap. I get the same error by Qjackctl and by Cadence, tested with Jack1 and Jack2.
As told before, the Delta 66 and the XFi run well without this mmap problem. I can listen music with Audacious by the Multiface II, so i think is not broken.

I post you here the log:

Code: Select all

~ $ jackd -d alsa -d hw:1
jackd 0.125.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: mmap-based access is not possible for the capture stream of this audio interface
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
cannot load driver module alsa
This is my .asoundrc

pcm.hdsp {
          type hw
          card 1
       }
ctl.hdsp {
          type hw
          card 1
       }
pcm.softvol {
          type softvol
          slave {
             pcm "dmix"
          }
          control {
             name "Master"
             card 1
          }
       }
pcm.!default {
         type plug
         slave.pcm "softvol"
       }
and my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf (Delta 66 in this moment is not plugged)

# Alsa kernel modules' configuration file.                                                                                  

# ALSA portion                                                                                                              
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion                                                                                                          
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##                                                                                                                          
## IMPORTANT:                                                                                                               
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)                                                       
## and then run `update-modules' command.                                                                                   
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.                                                         
##                                                                                                                          
##  ALSA portion                                                                                                            
 alias snd-card-0 snd-ctxfi
 alias snd-card-1 snd-hdsp
##  OSS/Free portion                                                                                                        
 alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
 alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##                                                                                                                          

# OSS/Free portion - card #1                                                                                                
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2                                                                                              
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.                                                                                  
options snd cards_limit=2
I think my Gentoo is well configured, but updating the system often, could be that i touched something by accident, probably in the kernel settings.
Regards
Last edited by deleteria on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deleteria
Established Member

Re: Gentoo , Jack , mmap , RME Hammerfal Multiface II

Post by deleteria »

Looking with goggle i found this:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/stable/msg491133.html
They speak about a bug in the recent kernels, in the module dedicated to the Multiface II. So i recompiled with my actual .config (for test if there are errors in my .config) a 5.12.8 kernel , because i used it in june for a mix with the Multiface II. Now The Multiface II works perfectly with Jack.
Now i put resolved on the title and i open a new thread in the gentoo support forum, for ask them to patch the module hdsp in the gentoo-sources kernel.
Ciao
merlyn
Established Member

Re: Resolved. Gentoo , Jack , mmap , RME Hammerfal Multiface II

Post by merlyn »

Thanks for posting this. I have an RME 9632 which also uses the snd-hdsp module and it stopped working with JACK when I updated my kernel. I have found that the 9632 works with kernel 5.13.4.

I'm using Arch so for anyone also using Arch it's possible to downgrade a package using pacman -U if it's still in the pacman cache.

# pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-headers-5.13.4.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
# pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-5.13.4.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
It's then required to ignore upgrades for those two packages by editing /etc/pacman.conf.

# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = linux linux-headers
Downgrading is not recommended, but in this case downgrading is necessary to have a working JACK setup with an RME card.
Last edited by merlyn on Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

The bug with snd-hdsp seems to have been fixed with kernel 5.14.8. I tried it out and the 9632 is working with JACK.
deleteria
Established Member

Post by deleteria »

Thanks Merlyn for your suggestion. I am testing now a 5.14.14-gentoo, and everything hangs. Here any audio application runs in this moment, looks like alsa is not running, i can not open Audacious or Cadence or Qjackctl, neither Alsamixer.
Running lspci i list my two sound cards, but for the rest everything hangs. "aplay -l" hangs.
I go back to the kernel 5.12.19 . Just returning to that kernel, everything runs perfectly. I'll not stop to test new kernels and i'll tell here when i'll find one running on my system.