SOLVED: Regretfully ditching linux...because Bluetooth Midi doesn't work...

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pax-eterna
Established Member

SOLVED: Regretfully ditching linux...because Bluetooth Midi doesn't work...

Post by pax-eterna »

And a huge thanks to everyone who tried to help out over the past months (not just here but other forums). But this latest bluetooth midi issue (which I do need) is the proverbial straw, I think.

Been to several sites and lots of google searches with info but nothing is working really...

TBH, there are other minor niggles (in linux) that I learned to either live with or figure a work-around, but this one has me stumped totally, so it is a regretful regression to windows I must undertake

Thanks again to all...I have totally given up on Linux, just perhaps for the short to mid term future.

Haha, I might even buy a MAC Mini *shrug - IDK*
Last edited by pax-eterna on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Regretfully ditching linux...

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

A linux user moving to a mac is like a family member joining scientology.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Sorry but hey, whatever gets you to make music :D Just wanted to say that it's probably not Linux' fault - if everyone provided FLOSS drivers of course everything would work out of the box. Buying a device without checking Linux compatibility first and then expecting it to work right away is like buying a random ice-cream when you have a lactose intolerance :lol:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

I gave him a link to a page that fully describes how to download/compile/install BlueZ with midi support enabled.
All he needed to do (provided his distribution is based on debian, and i think it is) is copy/paste the lines numbered 5-17 into a console window.
But, as so many times, any advice that may fix the problem is ignored. :roll:
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

You do you, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. On Mac expect to pay for every software worth using and Apple will regularly drop support for Software and Hardware as soon as they got the next product on sale.
The software and drivers that work now on MacOS might not work with the next version.
I have a KaossPad3 that is only a few years old, but there's no Catalina driver, because Korg released the KP3+ and doesn't care if the "old" stuff works on current MacOS.
MacOS is very restrictive and you need a Apple ID to fully use it. It also eats lots of RAM. Catalina on my Mac Mini uses over 2GB GB after boot, Kubuntu around 500 MB and is generally faster (I made some benchmarks). Oh, and forget about WINE on Mac. It's way behind Linux. Just my 2 cents.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Toejam76 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:28 am On Mac expect to pay for every software worth using
The only software worth paying for is free software.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Drumfix wrote: All he needed to do is copy/paste the lines numbered 5-17 into a console window
So why didn't you ssh into his system, run the commands, and fix it for him? You lazy sod.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Drumfix wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:54 am I gave him a link to a page that fully describes how to download/compile/install BlueZ with midi support enabled.
All he needed to do (provided his distribution is based on debian, and i think it is) is copy/paste the lines numbered 5-17 into a console window.
But, as so many times, any advice that may fix the problem is ignored. :roll:
Running EOS (based on Ubuntu) - and Bluez is already installed. I even uninstalled it and tried your suggestions (modified for ubuntu) and tried those steps..... But really, it was NEVER an issue about Bluez it was how to implement MIDI over bluetooth that was the issue!
Last edited by pax-eterna on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:30 am
Drumfix wrote: All he needed to do is copy/paste the lines numbered 5-17 into a console window
So why didn't you ssh into his system, run the commands, and fix it for him? You lazy sod.
That's not really helpful!
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

EOS is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian. Why do you refuse to follow the advice given to you ?
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Drumfix wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 pm EOS is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian. Why do you refuse to follow the advice given to you ?
I did follow the advice and I did report back!

The link for Ubuntu you gave was for a version four release old, but I DID try it anyway!

I also reported back that ldd bluetoothd did not run at all.

I reported back that I removed the existing version of Bluez and re-installed it as best I could following the instructions.

I found that a command --enable midi was apparently needed, but found no actual instruction on how to run it.

I tried running this sudo modprobe snd_virmidi - it just created 64 virtual midi slots in the DAW, none of which worked.

Tried this https://tttapa.github.io/Pages/Ubuntu/S ... BlueZ.html ( which I think is the same as you provided earlier in the thread???) It didn't work.

I think I've boiled it down to the problem of actually turning it ON in bluez and it is this, I think, where it is at. Bluetooth and Bluez are all working fine as I have said time and again, it is the MIDI component that is not turned on, and I have found no instruction other than some cryptic --enable midi command!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

You might be back. My Linux migration was gradual, start-and-stop, one piece of the workflow at a time.

There are tradeoffs in every decision. In my experience the downsides of using Linux have greatly reduced over the past 20 years, and I expect that trend to continue. Keep one toe in the Linux world (or one partition, anyway), and I think you'll find the same over time.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

milo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 pm You might be back. My Linux migration was gradual, start-and-stop, one piece of the workflow at a time.

There are tradeoffs in every decision. In my experience the downsides of using Linux have greatly reduced over the past 20 years, and I expect that trend to continue. Keep one toe in the Linux world (or one partition, anyway), and I think you'll find the same over time.
Thanks - yes I have found solutions (and/or work-arounds) for pretty much everything...trouble is I am sure this last issue with the bt midi, is a simple one, but it is eluding me! But it is important enough to have me considering just dealing with MS bs!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Serious question:
Why do you want to run MIDI over bluetooth? It is the worst, and least reliable way to get MIDI into the machine.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

ummm, I LIKE less cables and clutter :) Been running bluetooth (in other systems) for ages now. Zero issues. Bluetooth, particularly BLe has come quite a way and is now quite reliable. Apart from keys I also run an EWI device (electronic wind instrument) which does require moving around a bit....VERY awkward to do running a midi cable out of it ;)