A challenge with installing AV Linux

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Matt73
Established Member

A challenge with installing AV Linux

Post by Matt73 »

Hello fellow revolutionaries!

I bought a new super duper laptop for audio production the other day. I had an issue with Tracktion Waveform and I tried some different distros. I have settled on AV Linux but I am having an installation issue. When I choose 'regular install using the entire disk', and click next it says 'Ok to format and use the entire disk'..I'm like 'Yes' but then it says 'sda2 is already selected for EFI System partition'. And then it goes in a circle from there. Do I have to go into 'customise disk layout'? It;s a bit daunting but with your kind help I'll give it go.

Best Wishes

Matt
Kott
Established Member

Re: A challenge with installing AV Linux

Post by Kott »

Hi,
Why you jumping across the distros rather then do a couple of clicks in config? viewtopic.php?p=136147#p136147
Matt73
Established Member

Post by Matt73 »

Well, just out of curiosity. I want to see what AV Linux functions like. I've decided that rather than Zorun which is an all round system I would rather have a system that is geared up for music production. Can you help me with my query?
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Can you help me with my query?
Ok, I'll cast @GMaq (AV Linux author) for you.
Matt73
Established Member

Post by Matt73 »

Thank you sir. I just think upon reflection that it's good to build from good foundations. No matter what the issues with waveform, it would be good to explore what av linux has to offer and learn about JACk etc...Plus it looks so cool..I love that CONKY thing..Like something out of blade runner
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Matt73 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:00 am I bought a new super duper laptop for audio production the other day.
Congratulations! :D I hope it's 100% Linux compatible.
Matt73 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:00 am I had an issue with Tracktion Waveform and I tried some different distros. I have settled on AV Linux but I am having an installation issue. When I choose 'regular install using the entire disk', and click next it says 'Ok to format and use the entire disk'..I'm like 'Yes' but then it says 'sda2 is already selected for EFI System partition'. And then it goes in a circle from there. Do I have to go into 'customise disk layout'? It;s a bit daunting but with your kind help
Ooops. I have a very old computer and I've disabled UEFI in the BIOS because that makes installing Linux more easy (well, at least to me). I'll be following this topic closely to see how EFI problems can be solved. Remember: if you've also got Windows on the laptop then disabling UEFI will cause Win to not startup anymore if I'm not mistaken.

And someting else: I see you mention AV Linux, Ubuntu Studio, Zorin and almost every Linux distro under the sun other than 'ye olde Ubunu or Debian. I, for instance, will definitely not support installing or configuring a non-widely used distro. I've had one look at AV Linux's website and I do not know the following and am most definitely not going to find it out for ya. Sorry, man.
  • Is it deb or rpm based?
  • If based on another distro like Ubuntu: on what version?
  • What repositories does it use? Standard repo's from the distro on which it is based or custom?
  • To what date does the (long term) sopport last?
  • Can you use Chrome instead of Chromium? Do you know the difference?
  • etc. etc.
I've told you this in the other topic, sorry.

I realize that the author of AV Linux will probably not like me for saying all this. It has probably been a lot of work to make this distro and it is probably a very, very good distro. It looks absolutely gorgeous. And it has a lot of audio stuff already installed for us. Great work man! :)

@Matt73: Have you tried to install your average basic Ubuntu 20.04 Long Term Support (LTS) on your PC? Maybe that'll work out of the box with UEFI. And if you don't like the Gnome3 desktop environment (which a lot of peole don't) you can install XUbuntu (XFCE desktop) or LUbuntu (LXDE desktop) instead.

Good luck.
Matt73
Established Member

Post by Matt73 »

Well, I just love the look of AV Linux. And I like that CONKY thing. I know I can get that up on different systems. I have no idea about UEFI. I bought the laptop without a system installed. I just want to give AV Linux a try because all I really want to use the laptop for is audio production (and browsing the internet and skype). I have tried about 5 different distros in the past few days. Maybe this has screwed something up on the drive partition wise which I causing issues with the AV Linux installation. Looks like I have to go into the custom installation but I am clueless as to how to go on. It's true that other distros install smoothly without these issues. I don't want a bloated system. Just something lean and fast that will free up CPU for making music.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Matt73 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:00 am When I choose 'regular install using the entire disk', and click next it says 'Ok to format and use the entire disk'..I'm like 'Yes' but then it says 'sda2 is already selected for EFI System partition'
Have you been following the manual ? http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL-MXE-User-Manual.pdf

It's a while since I installed AVLinux, and it wasn't UEFI when I did. However I now have a UEFI system.

Is there anything on /dev/sda that you want to keep? If not you could delete all the partitions and that should give the installer a clear run. If anyone thinks this is not a good idea please post. One thing about UEFI is that grub writes some data into the BIOS, which should be fine if the AV-MXE installer runs grub as a step.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi @Matt73

I develop and maintain AVL and I am very busy offline right now and don't always see posts right off the bat, so you are having an installation problem?

Have a look at this thread: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=65292

It seems there are some quirks with UEFI systems in the MX Installer (the installer used by AV Linux) Follow down the thread I linked and see if this solves your problem.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:38 am
And someting else: I see you mention AV Linux, Ubuntu Studio, Zorin and almost every Linux distro under the sun other than 'ye olde Ubunu or Debian. I, for instance, will definitely not support installing or configuring a non-widely used distro. I've had one look at AV Linux's website and I do not know the following and am most definitely not going to find it out for ya. Sorry, man.
  • Is it deb or rpm based?
  • If based on another distro like Ubuntu: on what version?
  • What repositories does it use? Standard repo's from the distro on which it is based or custom?
  • To what date does the (long term) sopport last?
  • Can you use Chrome instead of Chromium? Do you know the difference?
  • etc. etc.
I've told you this in the other topic, sorry.

I realize that the author of AV Linux will probably not like me for saying all this. It has probably been a lot of work to make this distro and it is probably a very, very good distro. It looks absolutely gorgeous. And it has a lot of audio stuff already installed for us. Great work man! :)

Good luck.
Hi,

Say whatever you like... :wink:

AV Linux has been developed and maintained since 2007, longer than any other multimedia distro in existence, it has been based on Debian Stable until very recently when I moved to MX Linux (mostly for their installation and ISO creation tools) which is also based on Debian Stable and incidentally has been the #1 Distro on Distrowatch for years now (since you seem to be concerned about such credibility type of things).. AVL also has a User Manual unlike any independent project out there which is updated and expanded with every release..

Yes I'm a (mostly) one man team and yes I already have a full-time Job and am a part-time working musician so my time for AVL is ebb and flow and I can't be all things to all people nor do I have all the answers so that's the deal you make if you use it, that is all laid out as plainly as possible on the website and in the User Manual. No other multimedia Respin comes close to providing the OOTB experience and choice of applications it does either so it's give and take... AVL will never have the User base and team resources of Ubuntu (Studio), and Ubuntu Studio will never be able to provide the attention to detail and included applications (including Wine and Windows VST's pre-configured, Mixbus 32C, Reaper and many popular Plugin demos) that AVL does..

Go big, go small or go home! Like the rest of Linuxdom it's all about choices..
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@GMaq: Great work on AVL! It looks gorgeous like I said and the manual also looks very, very slick. The attention to detail is unsurpassed. Also great to read that it's based on Debian Stable cq. MX. Didn't know it existed for 7 years.
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt73
Established Member

Post by Matt73 »

Hello Sir,

Wow, I only joined this forum yesterday and I'm already rubbing shoulders with legends. Have no idea about UEFI but shall read the thread and give it a go. And it's great to learn there is a user manual. The distro looks super cool and I look forward to trying it out. Thanks for getting back to me.

Best Wishes

Matt
Matt73
Established Member

Post by Matt73 »

Ok, we are making progress. The thread the developer of AV Linux sent me helped and I made it to the next screen (like the next level in a game). However, now I stumped again because I have the choice of installing on MBR, PBR or ESP. Which one?

And which partition to use: sda2 (3.1 MB vfat - EFI-LIVE) or nvme0n1p1 (256.0 MB FAT 32)?

We'll get there in the end. Any advice appreciated. All I can offer in return are my skills as a session player/mixer/drum arranger.

Best

Matt
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi @Matt73

I should clarify that the installer used is the Installer for MX Linux and that the Installer is something I am generally familiar with but it isn't something I personally develop or maintain. Since your computer is quite new and since you have specific Installer related questions I'm going to suggest for the most effective help from the MX Linux developers you should probably join the MX Linux forum and post in the 'Respins' section:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=127

I understand and realize joining yet another forum is often a PITA, but I really feel you will get better installation guidance there, I am happy to help with Audio Video related stuff as that is my specialty but I don't like to guess when people's data is involved and I'm sure we can get you going with a bit of extra advice. When you post in the Respins forum just mention in your subject that you are using AVL-MXE and be patient, I will see your post there and hopefully so will some of the MX Folks that are knowledgeable about the Installer..
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Matt73 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:04 pm Ok, we are making progress. The thread the developer of AV Linux sent me helped and I made it to the next screen (like the next level in a game). However, now I stumped again because I have the choice of installing on MBR, PBR or ESP. Which one?

And which partition to use: sda2 (3.1 MB vfat - EFI-LIVE) or nvme0n1p1 (256.0 MB FAT 32)?
Given this I'd think the sda2 is in the USB key where you put the Live ISO on, so better avoid it unless you absolutely want to always keep that USB key available as is to be able to boot your laptop ;)
Then, on the nvme0n1p1, if you plan to never ever install any Windows[a-zA-X0-9]* you can go safely for MBR, else do have a D2 roll (or a 3*D12 divide modulo2 if you're a wizard) for whatever choice remains.
(post edit after GMaq excellent addition: Yes, just what he said, for dire advice on a specific distro install question go for their forum)