Steinberg Cubasis now on Chrome Os

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sjzstudio
Established Member

Steinberg Cubasis now on Chrome Os

Post by sjzstudio »

https://youtu.be/LMqAaTD8CbM

Am i right, Is Chrome Os based on Linux kernel? Are things changing? :o
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Steinberg Cubasis now on Chrome Os

Post by funkmuscle »

sjzstudio wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:31 pm https://youtu.be/LMqAaTD8CbM

Am i right, Is Chrome Os based on Linux kernel? Are things changing? :o
Chrome OS I think has always been Linux based.. Google's kinda Android desktop/laptop OS.. Droid is already Linux based. I could be wrong but my mom's Chromebook runs like Linux, the terminal takes Linux's commands so....

So now Cubasis runs on it? That's awesome as they've needed something to compete with Snapple :lol:
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

ChromeOS definitely runs on a Linux kernel. I've got Linux running on my Chromebook via Crouton: I never use ChromeOS. Dunno if Crouton is still developed or works on modern Chromebooks, I did it a very long time ago. Not everything works though, CromeOS' kernel does not have certain things in it like Samba sharing with Windows or something (you can access Win shares via a Chr.b.)... Or something with Midi and/or audio. Don't remember.

Does Cubase run nativly on Linux? I can't find any info on that. It's certainly a good thing that popular software comes to Chromebooks because that basically means that there's a Linux version.
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

There is no Linux version available for Cubase. But I think something is being done on the Steinberg side. Of course, nothing is said to the public. Similarly, RME is reportedly not going to support Chrome Os. But without swearing the best. As the rock begins to roll, it can be difficult to stop it. :D
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

It's an Android app.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Kott wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:21 pm It's an Android app.
Aaaaaaaarghhhhhh! Thanks for that info. People think that Android is like Linux because it runs on a Linux kernel. I don't recognize anything in Android from all my years of Lunux use.
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Chrome Os is not Android. So Cubasis for Chrome OS is not an Android app. Admittedly they also have Cubasis fo Android and Cubasis for iOS. So there are some differences.

"Chrome OS (sometimes styled as chromeOS) is a Gentoo Linux-based operating system designed by Google. It is derived from the free software Chromium OS and uses the Google Chrome web browser as its principal user interface. Unlike Chromium OS, Chrome OS is proprietary software. "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

But do these have any relevance to Linux audio. Probably not.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

I think you're right, it's some kind of "Chrome app". Would be interesting to see what is that exactly.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:24 pm Chrome Os is not Android. So Cubasis for Chrome OS is not an Android app. Admittedly they also have Cubasis fo Android and Cubasis for iOS. So there are some differences.

"Chrome OS (sometimes styled as chromeOS) is a Gentoo Linux-based operating system designed by Google. It is derived from the free software Chromium OS and uses the Google Chrome web browser as its principal user interface. Unlike Chromium OS, Chrome OS is proprietary software. "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS

But do these have any relevance to Linux audio. Probably not.
It is an Android app. ChromeOS can run Android apps. You can even see the Android intents/share menu in the video.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

@sjzstudio and @robbert-vdh: thank you for the info. I'm really curious if this means if it's possible to quickly and easily port Cubase to Linux.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:18 am @sjzstudio and @robbert-vdh: thank you for the info. I'm really curious if this means if it's possible to quickly and easily port Cubase to Linux.
"Cubasis" not Cubase in it's entirety.. two different things

The groundwork for ChromeOS and Android should make it easily "port-able" to Linux but whether Steinberg wants to make that move would be doubtful to me..
darkoverlordofdata
Established Member

Post by darkoverlordofdata »

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:24 pm Chrome Os is not Android. So Cubasis for Chrome OS is not an Android app. Admittedly they also have Cubasis fo Android and Cubasis for iOS. So there are some differences.
Actually, Android apps do run on chrome. And Cubasis is an android app from the playstore. I just installed the free demo on my chromebook. ChromeOS is a variety of Gentoo, but that part is access protected. To run linux, I enable a kvm that installs debian.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

GMaq wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:24 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:18 am @sjzstudio and @robbert-vdh: thank you for the info. I'm really curious if this means if it's possible to quickly and easily port Cubase to Linux.
"Cubasis" not Cubase in it's entirety.. two different things

The groundwork for ChromeOS and Android should make it easily "port-able" to Linux but whether Steinberg wants to make that move would be doubtful to me..
If Steinberg has stepped around native linux to code for Android, I think that's a big hint they'll code for Linux over their dead bodies.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

More concerning than the development cost would likely be the support cost. It's expensive and time-consuming just to support the Windows userbase. WIth the significantly more complicated Linux audio setup, it would be financially untenable to support Linux, with its smaller userbase.

It's not like these companies have any sort of personal grudge against the OS, or anything of that sort. It's just that they see as being a bad ROI (return on investment).

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:03 pm More concerning than the development cost would likely be the support cost. It's expensive and time-consuming just to support the Windows userbase. WIth the significantly more complicated Linux audio setup, it would be financially untenable to support Linux, with its smaller userbase.

It's not like these companies have any sort of personal grudge against the OS, or anything of that sort. It's just that they see as being a bad ROI (return on investment).
Yep. Many companies also have a Linux version of their stuff, but without support. That's usually their free stuff. It would indeed be almost impossible to ask money for a Linux version considering the fact that you then owe those paying Linuxers support.