Which Distro to choose for my recording studio

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

basementmedia
Established Member

Which Distro to choose for my recording studio

Post by basementmedia »

Hi,

one year ago i asked this question and now - after having tried manjaro for one year - i ask it again.
Which distribution do you prefer for professional audio recording.

My experience with manjaro was "ok".
But i often had to restart jack server and had problems with strange audio cracklings / noise qhich sometimes came and then after a few seconds disappeard.

Now - as my manjaro system doesnt want to start (after a system update) i am asking again:
Should i again use manjaro or is there a better audio distro available.

My main requirement is, that the distro works with my RME Fireface 800 (firewire), means FFADO should work.

What distros do you use and why?

Best wishes
Daniel
lazyklimm
Established Member

Re: Which Distro to choose for my recording studio

Post by lazyklimm »

Ubuntu(Xubuntu in my case, but it doesn't matter that much), it's debian-based, it has native KXstudio repos support etc
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Hi,
basementmedia wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:09 pm
What distros do you use
openSUSE Tumbleweed + Geekos DAW repo https://geekosdaw.tuxfamily.org/en/
basementmedia wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:09 pm and why?
I'm a member of that team (package maintainer)
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

AVL-MXE is a complete distro specializing in audio/midi/video.

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I always recommend a distro that a lot of people use so you can ask for help (on-line or from an acquaintance). And one that has Long Term Support (LTS). Distro's that are meant to use for one specific purpose (e.g. producing music) are less widely supported. You can adjust Linux to your specific needs: that's its strong point. An Ubuntu LTS flavor would be my advice.

As for "professional audio recording" (like you said): does that include using VST3's (as opposed to VST2)? If so then Ubuntu LTS 20.04 Focal needs some additional repositories to be activated. That's because, for example, the Carla and QTracor versions provided by Ubuntu's repo's don't yet support VST3.

Good luck and choose wisely! :)
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

Linux Mint, because (almost) everything just works, and you can focus on the important things - the music.. :-)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I develop AVL-MXE and use it daily, for many people (there are always exceptions) it is "install and use". I don't know of a more complete OOTB setup for Audio (and Video) production out there currently.. That doesn't mean it's perfect or even close to it but I think in your situation it's worth a Live boot to try.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

+1 on @GMaq's suggestion. I was a long time Mint user, then decided to try AVL-MXE when I got a new SSD. I have not been disappointed. Works out of the box, very little config. All I really did was uninstall some of the stuff I don't use and edit /etc/fstab to mount my home network share. And I didn't have to spend an afternoon doing mortal combat with realtimequickconfigscan.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23528 :D only native gnu linux software,easy uses,mate desktop, debian bullseye stable based + kx studio :mrgreen: ciao

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

I am far from a computer whiz, actually I am pretty ignorant to much of the tech end of computing. I am and have been using Ubuntu Studio with KX Studio repositories added since 2016. I update to the next LTR usually 8 - 10 months after they are released and have generally been pleased with the resulting system. Other than music production, I don't do very much with the computer other than general email communications and check out my scientific interests and news. I did have a problem with the switch of bios to what ever the new system is for that functionality. In general other than learning how to set software up correctly, it is a solid system that just works.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

+1 for AVL-MXE

1. It's made for audio production
2. It's based on Debian stable, which will not break when you do a system update
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

martibs wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:01 pm +1 for AVL-MXE

2. It's based on Debian stable, which will not break when you do a system update
Indeed it won't break if you do a sys upgr. However, if you've activated some external repositories (KXStudio for the latest version of Carla-rack with VST3 support for instance) then it might...
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

It may break the apps from those repositories, but not the system itself. Which is, from my experience, a possibility with rolling release distros.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 am

Indeed it won't break if you do a sys upgr. However, if you've activated some external repositories (KXStudio for the latest version of Carla-rack with VST3 support for instance) then it might...
Pretty sure KX repos are active by default in AVL-MXE and are generally compatible with Debian Stable. Maybe if you have some other not-so-compatible third party repo active it might.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sunrat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 am

Pretty sure KX repos are active by default in AVL-MXE and are generally compatible with Debian Stable. Maybe if you have some other not-so-compatible third party repo active it might.
Funny you should mention that. I spent the weekend de-activating 5 of the 7 of the repositories that are activated by following the official KXStudio repo install instructions. Some of 'm gave an error like this one on updating repo info:

Code: Select all

The repository 'https://kx.studio/repo gcc5 Release' does not have a Release file.
I almost posted a topic with the title "Are the KXStudio repo's done?"

On KXStudio's site is says that they'll work w/ distro's from Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 onwards. I have Ubuntu 20.04 which isn't even that new. All the info in the repo's say "Ubuntu Bionic" which is ver. 18.04. KXStudio has been "downgraded" from a distribution to a repository a while ago. It's developer de-activated his account here. I was afraid that he might have lost the interest in the project all together as of now.

I only use the KXStudio repo's to get me the latest version of Carla that is VST3 compatible which is not in the Ubuntu 20.04 repo's yet. In the future I'd like to be completely "KXStudio free/independent". The dev of KXStudio is the same as for Carla if I'm not mistaken. ;)