Reaper vs Ardour?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

elsmandino
Established Member

Reaper vs Ardour?

Post by elsmandino »

Hello there.

I am tempted to have a go at a bit of recording, but am a total novice to it.

I know it is a very subjective question but which DAW should I use?

I wanted (if possible) to avoid just installing and trying both, as it might end up confusing me.

Is there any sort of consensus as to which is the best, out of the two? E.g. support, ease of use, etc?

Thanks very much.
d.healey
Established Member

Re: Reaper vs Ardour?

Post by d.healey »

If you're just doing a bit of recording use Audacity.

Reaper vs Ardour. Ardour is free software therefore it wins.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Hi.

Audacity is Audio only (though, it has some less MIDI features).
I would recommend Qtractor. It's small, easy to use and ready for Audio and MIDI.
I'm using it for years now...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

elsmandino wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:03 am Hello there.

I am tempted to have a go at a bit of recording, but am a total novice to it.

I know it is a very subjective question but which DAW should I use?

I wanted (if possible) to avoid just installing and trying both, as it might end up confusing me.

Is there any sort of consensus as to which is the best, out of the two? E.g. support, ease of use, etc?

Thanks very much.
Hi, If you want to try both Ardour and Reaper without installing or changing anything on your computer just download AVL-MXE and make a bootable USB Key. You can live boot a complete ready to use Linux studio with Ardour and Reaper pre-installed with a ton of great Audio Plugins and play around to your hearts content without installing or changing anything on your existing computer.. It also has a very handy User Manual right there to help you get set up (with Ardour).

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

If you like what you see you don't necessarily have to install AVL-MXE, you can install Ardour or Reaper (or both) on your existing system.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I fully agree with @d.healey. Even if Ardour were worse than it actually is, I would use it. But it happens to be very good :D

Keeping that aside, they have different focuses. Ardour is not focused on MIDI but it has gotten good enough at it (even if the UX for editing MIDI is not the best). If you don't do a lot of MIDI, I think you will be fine on Ardour!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Both reaper and ardour have youtube tutorials, I would say watch some videos and see what appeals to you more. I think this is the best way to have a look without actually installing.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

You can download Reaper, extract it and just run it. It's only 8 MB!

Ardour is more basic and also a good option if you are just recording. I would not recommend Audacity.
alexson
Established Member

Post by alexson »

Reaper is much better than Ardour
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Reaper all the way for me but both can record easily enough.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Ardour is FOSS, and if the concern is recording audio, Ardour is very good for that. 8)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

elsmandino
Established Member

Post by elsmandino »

Thanks everyone - some really helpful comments and advice.
lilith wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 pm Ardour is more basic and also a good option if you are just recording. I would not recommend Audacity.
Lillith - can I just ask what you mean by just recording? What sort of things, beyond this, might be a problem for Ardour?

Based upon my initial research, I think that Reaper might be a bit the better choice at the moment - purely on the basis that there seem to be a lot more instructional videos on YouTube. As a total beginner, I really need a lot of hand holding to get up-to-speed and I think that videos are going to be the best way.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

If you need video tutorials on Ardour there is the @unfa's YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/unfa000

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

elsmandino wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:08 am Thanks everyone - some really helpful comments and advice.
lilith wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 pm Ardour is more basic and also a good option if you are just recording. I would not recommend Audacity.
Lillith - can I just ask what you mean by just recording? What sort of things, beyond this, might be a problem for Ardour?

Based upon my initial research, I think that Reaper might be a bit the better choice at the moment - purely on the basis that there seem to be a lot more instructional videos on YouTube. As a total beginner, I really need a lot of hand holding to get up-to-speed and I think that videos are going to be the best way.
If you need much midi and Plugins I found Reaper much more stable also the midi editor in Reaper is much better.
The gui feels also smoother.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Reaper is also much more customisable and therefore more powerful when you start using and combining actions (many tedious or repetitive things can be automated). I think there is a some kind of system in place for this in Ardour but the last time I looked there was barely anything created for it by the community.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

They're not the same thing.

Ardour is free and open source. Reaper isn't. I think that should be a factor in your choice.

The Reaper love is coming from people who produce electronic music. (I like your music guys, no offence). For electronic music MIDI is very important and (at the moment) MIDI is a bit of a weak spot in Ardour.

For audio I prefer Ardour and the MIDI is good enough for what I do.

I've been teaching basic Reaper over lockdown but I'm glad to get back to Ardour which could be due to the fact that I'm used to it. One thing that annoys me about Reaper is that there is no differentiating between mono and stereo tracks. I'm sure I could get used to that but to me it shows that Ardour is more focused on audio.