So, Snapd - where is it?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pax-eterna
Established Member

So, Snapd - where is it?

Post by pax-eterna »

I have now tried removing and installing this twice. After installation, I go to Applications Menu type in Snap (and Snapd) nothing appears...I then go to the snap folder under the File System directory, open it but it is totally empty (I have show hidden files checked)...

Are Snaps not allowed on the AVL MXE version?
Gps
Established Member

Re: So, Snapd - where is it?

Post by Gps »

I do not know what Snapd is but are you sure it has a GUI?
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Snapd is a disease on Linux and I refuse to use it so you're on your own. If you absolutely must use containerised applications, Appimage is the least worst, but it is always preferable to use packages built specifically for your distro and, if possible, sourced from your distro package manager.
Linux is not like Windows where you crawl the internet to find packages that might suit your purpose and install them from random servers. Distro-supplied packages are vetted for security and functionality issues before being added to their repos; snaps are not vetted nearly as well.
Of course there are applications which you may need from outside distro repos of which I have several third party repos active for Qstuff, Liquorix, and KX Studio (also active on AVL-MXE iirc). And some applications which may even need to be built from source.
Try to avoid snaps and flatpaks if you can.
What application are you trying to install from snap?
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

ok, thanks for the heads-up. I have read that Snap and Flatpack packages were all quite safe to install, but good to get an alternative view! I haven't installed anything from them yet.

I'll avoid them from now on....As i wrote SnapD ws installed but cannot be found so I suspected it was disabled somewhere in the system by default, perhaps for those reasons you mentioned.

I'll now use Synaptic (which is where i got it from) to do a complete uninstall.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

pax-eterna wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 pm ok, thanks for the heads-up. I have read that Snap and Flatpack packages were all quite safe to install, but good to get an alternative view! I haven't installed anything from them yet.
It's possible some may be safe to install but most are supplied from third parties and don't have security and functionality checks to the same standard as the official repositories. Snap and Flatpak also require huge runtime dependencies to install and the packages may not have automatic upgrade systems in place.
Appimages are different in that they are self-contained including whatever libraries they need. This can make them rather huge compared to distro packages which can share system libraries. For an example, I once tried a simple rename utility appimage which was about 35MB and subsequently found a native package that was 5MB. Some applications supply both native and appimages like Qtractor. It is recommended to use the appimage as a trial version in that case and install it from the repo if you wish to use it regularly.
If there are any packages you wish to install and are unsure of where to source them or how to install, just ask the forum. :wink:
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Cool, thanks Sunrat I will do that.