How easy (and can I do it?) is it to use Yabridge?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pax-eterna
Established Member

How easy (and can I do it?) is it to use Yabridge?

Post by pax-eterna »

I see LinVST is installed by default ins AVL MXE, but how easy would it be for me to replace it with Yabridge? And indeed would such a swap be beneficial? Further, if I set up vst's in Reaper using LinVST, woudl then using Yabridge "break" them, do you think?

I've read some nice things about this VST wrapper so thoguht it might be cool to try it out.

Any thoughts?
GMaq
Established Member

Re: How easy (and can I do it?) is it to use Yabridge?

Post by GMaq »

AVL-MXE has everything you need to use yabridge BUT you cannot use both yabridge and LinVst, it's a one or the other proposition and both are excellent applications. As you know LinVst is set up and ready to use but yabridge will need to be installed by following the detailed instructions on it's developers website. The developers of both LinVst and yabridge are pretty active here so they can give you more in-depth information.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Instructions on installing and using yabridge can be found in the readme, under the Usage section. Let me know if anything's unclear! (there's also a thread in the Running non-linux software section of the forum, and a Discord)

After running `yabridgectl sync` at the end of the instructions yabridge will have replace LinVst's .so files, and everything should still work like it did before (but now with yabridge instead of LinVst). If for some reason you want to undo this, then you would just have to go through the installation process for LinVst again. (and if you do, please let me know what was wrong with yabridge so I can improve it!)
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Cool, thanks :)