SOLVED: MX Linux - why is there still a Home folder?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pax-eterna
Established Member

SOLVED: MX Linux - why is there still a Home folder?

Post by pax-eterna »

I created a separate /home partition at installation, and this all worked fine, but upon boot I discovered that under places I had the created Home , but there is still a home folder under the File System directory. When I install apps and programs will they still go to the Home partitions or the Home folder in File System?

Thanks
Last edited by pax-eterna on Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: MX Linux - why is there still a Home folder?

Post by sunrat »

Applications don't generally get installed to $HOME. I mentioned this previously. And it has to be mounted somewhere, right? So I guess you're talking about places in the file manager; one of the entries is where it is mounted (under / ) and the other is your physical device ie. partition.
Open a terminal, run this command, and post the output inside code tags:

Code: Select all

mount
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

sunrat wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 pm Applications don't generally get installed to $HOME. I mentioned this previously. And it has to be mounted somewhere, right? So I guess you're talking about places in the file manager; one of the entries is where it is mounted (under / ) and the other is your physical device ie. partition.
Open a terminal, run this command, and post the output inside code tags:

Code: Select all

mount
Is this what you were asking for?? Yeah I rememered you writing that, I think I may have misunderstood, sorry!

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=8137984k,nr_inodes=2034496,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1631896k,mode=755)
/dev/nvme0n1p2 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=3263780k)
/dev/nvme0n1p3 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime)
/dev/nvme0n1p1 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,noatime,fmask=0113,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
rpc_pipefs on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=12k,mode=755)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/run/cgmanager/agents/cgm-release-agent.systemd,name=systemd)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1631892k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/nvme1n1p1 on /media/Denzoid/DM DATA type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

pax-eterna wrote:/dev/nvme0n1p3 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime)
/dev/nvme0n1p3 is mounted at /home

What you're calling 'Home' is /home/<your user name> which is a folder on the separate partition.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Yep I know that already, thanks - was not the question I was asking.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

I think what I'll do is just re-install to a single large partition and use CloneZilla or similar and rely on imaging....Then if something does go wrong I can reloads the image, transfer out my Home, re-install then transfer Home data back.

It is what it is :)
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

I think the biggest thing for me is that it seems all my WINE installs are going to go to the File System Partition.... I was hoping to install these apps to my separate Places/Home partition.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

pax-eterna wrote: When I install apps and programs will they still go to the Home partitions or the Home folder in File System?
Is this the question? There is no 'or' in this question -- they're the same place.

I used to have a separate /home partition, in fact it was a separate drive. The reason for this was that my system was on a 60GB SSD, so a few big downloads into /home/<user name>/Downloads and I could be running out of space. I recently set up a new system and haven't bothered with partitions -- it's all just on one drive. Storage is a lot cheaper these days, so putting another drive in doesn't seem such a big deal.

I think the idea of a separate /home partition is basically sound though if WINE can cope with prefixes that were created on (as far as WINE knows) a different system.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Thanks. Unfortunately I only have two Slots on my system and there is 500gb on each one. The second one is the ALL my data drive! So I am trying to set up Linux the best way possible to make either a re-install, or upgrade, not so time consuming with re-installing apps.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

OK. My impression is that you have done what you want, but you don't realise you have done it. :)

Your /home/<user name> is on a separate partition. I don't know a huge amount about WINE but I do know WINE stuff goes in /home/<user name>/.wine -- this is now on a separate partition. If you re-install the OS to say, nvme0n1p1 a new /home directory is created on nvme0n1p1. Then you mount nvme0n1p3 on /home again and your old settings (and WINE prefixes) are back.

The confusion is maybe happening because Windows does things differently. I don't remember the concept of mounting a drive or partition being relevant to Windows.

On Linux drives or partitions can just sit there, doing nothing. They're in /dev. You can't write to or read from them until they are mounted i.e. you tell the file system where they are and where you want them.

The file system is like a big tree and it's possible to mount a drive or partition referenced in /dev anywhere.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Cool, thanks yep I get that!

It's all good to go from now :)