Installation process

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

koffie
Established Member

Installation process

Post by koffie »

Hallo,

there is a generally failure and understanding with the installation process.
I've installed manually the repositories from; https://kx.studio/Repositories.
How is the process further. I cant reach kxstudio or anything else.
The repositories are visible in synaptic.
System is Ubuntu 20.04.2

Thanks for joining me.
khz
Established Member

Re: Installation process

Post by khz »

Did you do an "apt update" after installing the kxstudio-repos? After that you can install the kx-programs you want.
https://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get wrote:update
Used to re-synchronize the package index files from their sources. The indexes of available packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list(5). An update should always be performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
koffie
Established Member

Post by koffie »

Yes i did.
But I cant find a possibility for installing kxstudio.
I dont want install programs which must be configured later on.
The configuration should be done with the installation of kxstudio automatically.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

The kxstudio repos contain "only" - among other things - audio/MIDI programs as well as meta packages. There are also for example KXStudio scripts that you can install now, maybe these are the individual kxstudio customizations, I never had that installed.
So you have the individual (newer) programs for your individual distribution with the kxstudio repos actively maintained.
KXStudio (the distribution) is no longer actively maintained IMHO.

But I'm not sure how up to date the scripts (KXStudio scripts and misc stuff https://github.com/KXStudio/KXStudio) are and if they work with all distributions without problems.
Does anyone have experience?
koffie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm I dont want install programs which must be configured later on.
You don't need that either, install and start/use. :D
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
koffie
Established Member

Post by koffie »

[
koffie
Established Member

Post by koffie »

khz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:03 pm The kxstudio repos contain "only" - among other things - audio/MIDI programs as well as meta packages. There are also for example KXStudio scripts that you can install now, maybe these are the individual kxstudio customizations, I never had that installed.
So you have the individual (newer) programs for your individual distribution with the kxstudio repos actively maintained.
KXStudio (the distribution) is no longer actively maintained IMHO.

But I'm not sure how up to date the scripts (KXStudio scripts and misc stuff https://github.com/KXStudio/KXStudio) are and if they work with all distributions without problems.
Does anyone have experience?
koffie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm I dont want install programs which must be configured later on.
You don't need that either, install and start/use. :D
There is nothing to install. I can see the repros nothing else...
I did see a video on youtube from a person who is working in musicproduction.
He recommend to install kxstudio instead of the programs after another. The reason
should be the complicated configuration, which is not nessesary if by the
the process with kxstudio as suite. I think he has mentioned the scripts. Therefore one
get a choice of programs which will configured automatically.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

koffie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 am He recommend to install kxstudio instead of the programs after another. The reason
the process with kxstudio as suite. I think he has mentioned the scripts. Therefore one
KX Studio is not a suite. It is a repository of programs you need to choose and install individually. There also some KX applications such as Carla and Cadence available. The scripts are just to set some specific desktop configurations, not install programs.
KX was once a full distro but the last version was based on Ubuntu 14.04 with KDE4. Not really suitable for current software any more, and not available for download afaik.
If you want a distro with a full set of programs, the most well known ones now are AV Linux-MXE, Ubuntu Studio, Librazik. Or GeekOS may be closer to what you originally asked.
Or you can make a truly customised and customisable production system like my Debian Bullseye system with KX repos, rncbc repos, Liquorix kernel and tweaked for audio. There's a full guide I wrote in the Howtos, Tips & Tricks subforum - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22793
koffie
Established Member

Post by koffie »

sunrat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:13 am
koffie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:23 am He recommend to install kxstudio instead of the programs after another. The reason
KX Studio is not a suite. It is a repository of programs you need to choose and install individually. There also some KX applications such as Carla and Cadence available. The scripts are just to set some specific desktop configurations, not install programs.
KX was once a full distro but the last version was based on Ubuntu 14.04 with KDE4. Not really suitable for current software any more, and not available for download afaik.
If you want a distro with a full set of programs, the most well known ones now are AV Linux-MXE, Ubuntu Studio, Librazik. Or GeekOS may be closer to what you originally asked.
Or you can make a truly customised and customisable production system like my Debian Bullseye system with KX repos, rncbc repos, Liquorix kernel and tweaked for audio. There's a full guide I wrote in the Howtos, Tips & Tricks subforum - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22793
Thanks for your valuable hints.
It's amazingly that there is so much unnessesary confusion. Its more easy to do a transcription as to understand a studio which
is a more a library.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

The kxstudio-repos may be considered as a modular LAW extension. 8)