What Linux Distribution should I put on my other hard drive partion?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

GeorgeStevens

What Linux Distribution should I put on my other hard drive partion?

Post by GeorgeStevens »

I have to hard drive partions, with one partion being Windows XP, and the other getting ready for Linux. I am wondering what Linux distribution I should use. The computer I use is for Home use, like homework, web browsing, ect... Any suggestions?
varpa
Established Member

Re: What Linux Distribution should I put on my other hard drive partion?

Post by varpa »

Do you want a general linux distro or a music-production oriented one? For general I suggest Mint, for music, AVLinux. But really there are many choices, that are fairly similar. Also note you usually can make a bootable-USB stick to boot into a linux system and try it out before you install it.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

Ubuntu's still a good choice for getting your feet wet.
The question of what you'll use it for is an important one, as some distributions are better suited to some tasks.

Is there anybody in your personal or work life who uses Linux, and who you'd call on for help? If so, it'll be easier for them to help you if you use a distro they're familiar with.

If you're only just starting, I recommend you avoid the ones aimed at more advanced users: Arch and Nixos are the two that spring immediately to mind. They're great, but they assume you already know what you're doing.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Considering there is a partition with XP I am wondering how old this machine is and what sort of hardware limitations there may be. You may have a small amount of ram and a low speed processor for example. In such case it may be desirable to go with a distribution that defaults to a lighter weight desktop.
mk1967
Established Member

Post by mk1967 »

There is even a Linux multimedia distribution for those old machines, based on Debian: it's called TangoStudio, it's available in 64 and 32 bit: https://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/ ... 2532.shtml . A fast and reliable distribution :idea: .
I have experimented with it and it even runs on a Pentium III 650 MHz with 784 MB RAM and less than 20 MB hard disk.
For Ardour is my main multimedia software, I installed Ardour 5.12 using a new installation file from the Ardour site.

Since TangoStudio is based on Debian 7 it should be run on an offline system, of course 8) .

Michael
matterisvoid
Established Member

Post by matterisvoid »

Not too long ago, I installed Ubuntu Mate on a 2004 Dell laptop that up until then had only run Windows XP. It actually runs pretty decent.

Do you find that XP is still usable in 2021?
mk1967
Established Member

Post by mk1967 »

Yes - of course not on an online system.
XP is useful on one of my old reserve notebooks. For example when I work with old Samplitude Silver versions 8) .

Michael
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

On the topic of lightness the next ISO release of AV Linux MX Edition will be using a hybrid D.E. of XFCE4/Openbox to help make XFCE4 more conservative with resources and will still have a 32bit version. I still use a 13 year old Dell Inspiron laptop (early 32bit only CoreDuo) and the 32bit version of AVL-MXE boots into the Desktop at around 280-300Mb of RAM which should make it a good match for WinXP-era machines.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Interesting. 2 posts from this user, copy and pastes from GH or a forum

https://community.apachefriends.org/f/v ... 8b#p153051

I suspect this is a spam scam, and after a while the user will add signature links to trick google etc with
they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet (old, broken, no time/cpu power to fix here)
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

I like BOTs :lol: