test I/O-latency during different loads and on different low-latency

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khaldrogo

test I/O-latency during different loads and on different low-latency

Post by khaldrogo »

How To Maintain Your Shark Apex Uplight Vacuum Cleaner

Deciding which vacuum to purchase is a nerve-racking process, but knowing how to lengthen the durability of your vacuum cleaner after buying is no less important. It is true that the Shark Uplight vacuum has a four-year warranty, but in order to keep it in good condition and last longer, you should also follow proper maintenance guides.

So you may ask - what is the standard maintenance procedure for the Shark Apex Uplight Duoclean vacuum cleaner? In this post, let me show you how to maintain https://www.facebook.com/sharkapexuplightvacuumreview/. Let’s go fellas!

Empty the dirt cup

There are three steps involved in the process of cleaning the dirt cup. First, you release the latch and pull up the dirt cup from the pod. Next, prepare a plastic bag or find a trash bin to get rid of the dirt inside the cup. To do that, hold the cup over a plastic bag or trash bin and then press the bottom latch to throw away all the dirt and dust. Finally, you just need to press the remaining top latch of the dust cup to remove built-up debris on the dust screen.

One thing to notice. You should turn off the power and unplug the vacuum while cleaning to prevent possible electric shock accidents.

Clean the filter

For the filter, it is recommended that you should clean the pre-motor filter every three months and the HEPA filter once a year. As for the pre-motor filter, after removing the dust cup, please take out the foam and felt filters to wash with water. While doing that, make sure to tap the filters to get rid of the built-up dirt on the surface of the filters. Regarding the HEPA filter, press the button under the grill to take it away from the Shark APEX UpLight Review: How Good Is This New Stick Vacuum. After that, remove and wash the HEPA filter with water. You shouldn’t use soap when cleaning both pre-motor and HEPA filters, or your vacuum cleaner might run into trouble.

Clean the brush roll

First, to pop up the brush roll garage lid, push up both sliders on the floor nozzle simultaneously. After that, use a scissor or your hand to remove string, hair clogs, or debris wrapped around the brush roll while cleaning. By doing this regularly, your Shark Apex Uplight Lift-away Duoclean will be less prone to problems such as stuck brush roll or overheating when operating.

Clean the soft roller

First, follow the same step as above, push up both sliders on the floor nozzle simultaneously to pop up the brush roll garage lid. The next step is to remove the soft roller from the nozzle by lifting it out with the pull tab on the right side. After doing that, clean loose debris by tapping it off the surface or wiping it with a dry towel. After getting rid of the loose debris, wash the soft roller under the water stream and let it dry completely for a day. Finally, assemble everything inside the vacuum cleaner properly.

Check the nozzles

It is important to check the nozzles for blockages regularly in order to prevent problems suck as suction power loss, overheating, motor dying out, or the worst - your vacuum cleaner stops working for life. To check the nozzles, tilt their neck back to straighten the airway. After that, you can take a look carefully inside the nozzles, and get rid of any possible blockages.

Final Words

The aforementioned is the ultimate guide to maintaining your Shark Apex Uplight Vacuum - The Perfect Vacuum for Single People. Remember to follow these steps regularly to keep your vacuum healthy and properly.

Last edited by khaldrogo on Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jaaxx
Established Member

Re: test I/O-latency during different loads and on different low-latency

Post by Jaaxx »

I have always used this, but it's been a few years since I felt the need. https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux ... k_iodelay/

Basically -
1- Run it in a terminal
2 - Connect the inputs and outputs of iodelay to one of your interfaces inputs and outputs
3 - Run a physical wire from that output on your interface to the input on your interface
4 - Look at the terminal window to see a running log of latency measurements.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

When you see 'latency' discussed on the internet it can be a bit confusing because the term can have different meanings in different contexts. There is also what I think is a general misunderstanding about latency that originates in the Windows world. It's the idea that low latency is something you can buy. The idea that interface A has a lower latency than interface B and if you just spend enough money you will get low latency.

I haven't found that to be true.
khaldrogo wrote: I've read a lot on this forum about latency results and different kernel options.
First of all -- a definition of latency. What's relevant to a musician is perceived latency. Latency is only a problem if you hear it. If you want to play a guitar through the computer or play a soft synth live you want the notes to come out when you hit them, not 100 milliseconds later. To achieve a low latency we need to use a small buffer e.g. 32 or 64 samples. You will see the time corresponding to one buffer quoted as the latency but it's not. The length of time corresponding to one buffer is :

(buffer size)/(sample rate)

so the time corresponding to a 48 frame buffer at 48kHz is 1ms. The computer has 1ms to calculate the values of 48 samples (or 96 in stereo, one for left, one for right).

What's relevant to a musician is the round trip latency -- how long does it take for my guitar to go through the computer?

twang > hardware latency > input buffer > DSP > output buffer > hardware latency > processed twang coming out speakers

At a given buffer size the round trip latency will be the same no matter what kernel you use and you can measure round trip latency using jack_iodelay as Jaaxx posted above. Using a different kernel addresses the issue of when xruns appear. You may find that when using a stock kernel your audio software will start with a small buffer but the output is an unusable stream of pops and clicks caused by buffer under- or over-runs collectively called xruns. This is where using different kernels can have a benefit -- not that they've reduced the latency but that they produce an xrun free output at a low latency.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

khaldrogo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:09 am Hi everyone,

I've read a lot on this forum about latency results and different kernel options. However, I haven't been able to find any good software to test my I/O-latency during different loads and on different low-latency kernels. I was wondering if anyone had any good and hopefully free programs I could download to test my latency.

Thanks!
Try LSP Latency Meter.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.