Media Player that sorts by *any* tags I want

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

grond
Established Member

Media Player that sorts by *any* tags I want

Post by grond »

I am looking for a media player program (preferably a package for ubuntu) that lets me create playlists using tags to filter my music library. All players I have tried allow filtering for some predefined popular tags such as album, artist, genre, year, however, I have tagged some of my music files with key and bpm (ID3 tags TKEY and TBPM). No player I have seen so far lets me filter by key (there are some that work with bpm). I would also like to filter by metre (3/4, 4/4, 2/4, 2/2...) but I don't know whether there even is a standard tag for that.

The reason I want to do this is that for my regular instrument practice I want to select backing tracks to which I then improvise on my real-world instrument. I then would like to select a key and a bpm range (the bpm range would depend on how comfortable I feel playing in a certain key) for my practice and set the media player to "shuffle" and "repeat" until I get bored...
LAM
Established Member

Re: Media Player that sorts by *any* tags I want

Post by LAM »

Mixxx is able to filter by key.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

grond
Established Member

Post by grond »

I tried Mixxx and its filter functionality is good. But it seems to be a bit of an overkill to use as a media player. :D

I haven't figured out yet how I can repeat and shuffle the list of tracks I get from the filter. When I add the tracks to the auto-DJ, they get played one after the other and then are gone. I guess DJs do not really want to repeat songs during a session...

I have also experimented a bit with scripting using mid3v2, find, grep and creating m3u-playlists for a specific query. I can filter easily by genre and key in this way but testing for ranges of BPMs in a script is going to be a pain (I'm not much of a bash script guru).
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Probably a better way but make a crate for the filter of choice, add the filtered tracks to that crate then set the crate as the Auto DJ source. You can set it to pull out of that crate indefinitely and adjust the set aside time for tracks that have already been played so they can be played again as soon as you like. Next time you need those tracks the crate will be there ready to go.

If you turn off the auto scan at start up it helps load time. Let it scan your tracks for BPM and Key overnight or something. Once your database is complete it all loads quickly.