AVL MXE 32bit - Where is the installer?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

J0J0
Established Member

Re: AVL MXE 32bit - Where is the installer?

Post by J0J0 »

GMaq wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 pm Hi!

It's 'Glen' by the way... but I've been called much worse than Greg... :D
Oh no! I'm so sorry I recalled that wrongly! Yeah could have been much worse! Haha :-)))

Thanks for getting back to me. Somehow I don't get notified on this forum when someone answers, need to check my settings I guess. But probably reason is I forgot all my phpbb skills since everywhere they switch to hip things like Discourse....

GMaq wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 pm Just so you know a new fresh ISO with bug fixes and some new features will be uploaded sometime around the end of April it is not a 'new version' simply a fresh place to get on the AVL bus with some of the concerns you've mentioned fixed.
Thanks for the notice! I was wondering if there is some kind of upgrade option? I get that it's just Linux and usually is upgraded within patchlevel and minor releases using the package manager. But there are some interesting "extra" packages on AVLinux that you picked and installed other than with a package manager right? I am thinking of Ardour for example. Would I now need to manually download it from the website and install myself or could I somehow use the software you picked for AVlINux or upgrade all those "extra" package in one go?

Funniliy enough with Ardour 6.5 I have problems, it crashes when I use it with Geonkick and actually I am thinking of rather downgrading it than upgrading. To downgrade the 6.5. you have installed / ship with AVLinux I just go to the Ardour website, download and install, right? Because it's not installed by the debian package management?

Thanks!
GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVL MXE 32bit - Where is the installer?

Post by GMaq »

Hi, sorry almost missed this..

I'm sorry there have been some other queries in this thread.. are you using the 32bit version?

If so I must reiterate what the User Manual says:
*There will occasionally be ‘limited releases’ of a customized 32bit version of AVL-MXE.. To be clear the 32bit x86 CPU architecture is now deprecated and many software applications are no longer developed for 32bit so this release is limited to special cases and older 32bit PC’s. AVL-MXE 32bit lacks programs and features that are on the 64bit system. For this reason the 32bit version comes ‘as-is’ with absolutely NO guarantee to see consistent development and the security and updates are completely at the discretion of the packagers maintaining the included repositories. User beware!
In general 95% of stuff is updated through Repositories, in the specific cases of Ardour, Reaper and Mixbus you are advised to get upgraded versions from the Websites of those applications. The versions in AVL-MXE are directly from the developers website to ensure you the User get full support from the developers. Ardour developers in particular do not support anything but their only software bundles from ardour.org so these are your choices..

- Use the version that comes with your existing version of AVL-MXE.
- Purchase an updated version from ardour.org. and install it
- Wait until a newer release of AVL-MXE comes out with a newer version of Ardour etc.