AVL MXE 32bit - Where is the installer?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pax-eterna
Established Member

Re: AVL MXE 32bit - Where is the installer?

Post by pax-eterna »

@GMaq

haha, been trying to do stuff in another distro (much smaller install), but I think I will admit defeat and use something all pretty much ready to go (at least til I know my way around Linux better anyway)...so I will have another try of yours...Q: is it safe to remove all the apps like Ardour and the other audio/midi stuff? And should/can I remove the dependencies as well?

And how can the dependencies be removed at the same time, if thats an appropriate course of action?

Thanks

PS: fwiw I do like how you have set it up, just not all the apps :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Removing Ardour is a bit more complicated because it is included as their official 'bundle' and is not in the Debian package management. To remove Ardour you need to go to the '/opt' folder in the filesystem and run it's uninstall script as Root. I'm not on a Linux box right now to give you more explicit instructions.

As far as stuff from the Synaptic Package Manager if you uninstall the named applications one at a time and pay attention to what the package removal messages are saying you should be OK. Be aware that once you uninstall a few Applications a lot of 'autoremove' Packages will show up and usually they can safely be removed. I would strongly suggest not uninstalling any of the specialty 'avl-mxe' packages because they are not replaceable at this time from a Repository, they are kind of baked into the ISO cake.

I don't really have any guaranteed recipe for remove large amounts of packages to be honest, it could go without a hitch or you can bork your system completely.. If it were me I'd install in a VM and do the initial torture tests there. AVL-MXE is a production system not a tiny for the sake of tiny kind of thing.
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

GMaq wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:31 pm Hi,

Removing Ardour is a bit more complicated because it is included as their official 'bundle' and is not in the Debian package management. To remove Ardour you need to go to the '/opt' folder in the filesystem and run it's uninstall script as Root. I'm not on a Linux box right now to give you more explicit instructions.

As far as stuff from the Synaptic Package Manager if you uninstall the named applications one at a time and pay attention to what the package removal messages are saying you should be OK. Be aware that once you uninstall a few Applications a lot of 'autoremove' Packages will show up and usually they can safely be removed. I would strongly suggest not installing any of the specialty 'avl-mxe' packages because they are not replaceable at this time from a Repository, they are kind of baked into the ISO cake.

I don't really have any guaranteed recipe for remove large amounts of packages to be honest, it could go without a hitch or you can bork your system completely.. If it were me I'd install in a VM and do the initial torture tests there. AVL-MXE is a production system not a tiny for the sake of tiny kind of thing.
Cool, thx GMaq. Yep gotcha! :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@pax-eterna

Your queries and a studio set up I'm doing for a friend right now do make me ponder whether releasing an AVL-MXE 'Keto' ISO would be of value... Basically one DAW, one NLE, basic Desktop, System Tools, loads of Plugins and thats it.. I'm eyeballs deep in the full versions right now but I may entertain the idea of a minimal spinimal.. :?
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

GMaq wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:11 pm @pax-eterna

Your queries and a studio set up I'm doing for a friend right now do make me ponder whether releasing an AVL-MXE 'Keto' ISO would be of value... Basically one DAW, one NLE, basic Desktop, System Tools, loads of Plugins and thats it.. I'm eyeballs deep in the full versions right now but I may entertain the idea of a minimal spinimal.. :?
Good idea, fwiw :) excellent in fact. My head is still spinning from trying to configure WINE and everything else associated with it, the fact you have it all setup and ready to go is the appealing thing....to get that in a minimal package would be sweet for sure! hahaha, it's only one vote but it's a start ;)
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

one quick question, I see from earlier in this thread you are to release an updated version late april, should I hold off installing until then, or can I load the update (whenever it comes) with no loss of settings or data?
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

This thing refuses to install - I've tried Auto Install, Custom, to a partition...it just throws error messages like it cannot format, or not linus partitions (or something like that)...

Back on Windows now....I really want to get to linux, but it is just toooo hard!!! I am a musician not a geek or or OS snob...just soemthing that works would be nice, without having to research each command to find out why and what it's for and to implement...all solutions I find always have steps that need about an hour of research just to figure out how to do it!

Even something as simple as creating partitions when installing an OS, wow, a "thousand sweating clerks!"....

It's why I was hopeful for the AV MX install, thoguht it would handle all this stuff, but it even throws issues!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

OK,

First, are you trying to install the 32bit version or the 64bit version?

Second is this a computer with UEFI or an older Legacy BIOS?
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

GMaq wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:21 pm OK,

First, are you trying to install the 32bit version or the 64bit version?

Second is this a computer with UEFI or an older Legacy BIOS?
64bit UEFI

Current config (which I'd like to try and keep) under windows - Partition 1 Programs partition 2 my data....I tried using gparted in boot to manually partition the disk and then allow AV to install fully to the first partition, but it wouldn't even boot (gparted that is) haha! (created it with Balena Etcher)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Well AVL-MXE is a special respin of MX Linux so the installation stuff is not meddled with by me at all, MX is very popular so I think their installer is quite good but every system is different and we all have to start somewhere.

Here is the MX User Manual, perhaps the Installation section will shed some light on what's happening: https://mxmanuals.s3.us-east-2.amazonaw ... 9/mxum.pdf
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Thanks
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

@GMaq well I’ve now tried this twice and with default setup it crashes at the end (at about the 96% mark) advising GRUB installation failed...then redirecting me to live medium again to restart the whole process!!??
What is going wrong here?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

How big is the partition you're installing to?
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

GMaq wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 pm How big is the partition you're installing to?
120gig, …I’ll add that I had to change the boot option location immediately after starting the install from ESI to BIOS then it worked, however now I’m getting these boot options when booting that I didn’t want ….just need it to boot straight to NX Linux…
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Oh it it created a swap even though I set to no swap!!