AVL MXE 32bit - Where is the installer?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVL MXE 32bit - Where is the installer?

Post by GMaq »

What are the boot options you don't want?

The GRUB boot screen will boot with a few options including booting MX with systemd or not.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Yeah it auto boots in 6 seconds for the main OS so all g 😊…..haha just had to go through resetting root, I must have mistyped what I wanted 🥴🥴 … now in the process of changing the /home to the separate partition….I think I can figure it….we’ll see haha!!
Any quick tips on doing this? I found a couple of step by steps 😊
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Haha now I’m stuck, got through all the steps til it came time to edit fstab …Gedit reads at the top : pluggable devices are handled by udev they are not in fstab….I need this new homecoartition to mount at boot…so not sure what to do here ???
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Something is going very amiss here.. I have not touched or edited an fstab file in many years. This is really not my area of expertise at all. I install on my own machines and in VM's and my focus is the multimedia side not anything to do with installation. I very strongly suggest joining the MX Linux forum and posting this in the 'Respins' forum where you will get MUCH more focused help and get this figured out.

Make sure you indicate you are using AVL-MXE, perhaps something like 'problems using MX Installer in AVL-MXE' will help get experienced MX folks involved. There is some missing info here, this should just be install and go..
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I never put /home on a separate partition, preferring to use it more as a staging area and repository for user settings, and moving data to a separate data partition. You can then mount it in fstab and symlink it to a folder in your home.
I use LABEL to mount it with fstab entry:-

Code: Select all

LABEL=Stash      /mnt/stash      ext4         auto,user,rw,noatime   0    0
The partition label, "Stash" in this case, can be set in Gparted or another partition editor. You need to create the mount point which could easily be /home/<user>/stash instead so it's mounted directly in your /home directory (obviating the need for a symlink). Much easier than moving your current home to a different partition.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Reason for the separate home, is, if I have read info online correctly, this is where apps (programs) and other installs go, so that when I re-install the OS (if needed) all this data stays intact.

Happy to be corrected if I have this wrong...still new to this stuff :)
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

GMaq wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:09 am Something is going very amiss here.. I have not touched or edited an fstab file in many years. This is really not my area of expertise at all. I install on my own machines and in VM's and my focus is the multimedia side not anything to do with installation. I very strongly suggest joining the MX Linux forum and posting this in the 'Respins' forum where you will get MUCH more focused help and get this figured out.

Make sure you indicate you are using AVL-MXE, perhaps something like 'problems using MX Installer in AVL-MXE' will help get experienced MX folks involved. There is some missing info here, this should just be install and go..
Thanks, I'll jump over there. afaik, I have followed the "step by steps" to the letter, but, this IS linux, so one mis-step can brick an OS I guess haha!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

pax-eterna wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:24 am Reason for the separate home, is, if I have read info online correctly, this is where apps (programs) and other installs go, so that when I re-install the OS (if needed) all this data stays intact.
Not exactly. Personal user settings can go in $HOME but programs generally are installed to /usr/bin, and /usr/share for program assets. System programs can go in /usr/sbin. Occasionally programs which are not installed from distro repository (like Mixbus) install in /opt.
So if you reinstall your distro you don't get to keep the same programs you installed, but if you keep the same $HOME, you get to keep the same settings even if they are faulty.
I've heard of many issues from people sharing $HOME with other distros or reinstalling and reusing the same one, I prefer to start fresh with each install.
Of course many people do use a separate $HOME partition but it's not optimal IMO. It's certainly easier not to if you're new to Linux.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

FWIW,

I agree wholeheartedly with sunrat..

On my systems all of the important data is on other drives and partitions not in /home.. I always install everything including /home to the Root partition ('/'). Home is a a place to keep your configuration data, temporarily store downloaded stuff and like an organization and staging area but not a place for important data. If I need to do an emergency re-install or completely switch OS's then I back up the relatively small amount of data in /home and know my hours of Audio and Video work are all sitting on separate partitions that an installer won't touch.

As far as the argument that you can preserve a /home folder and reuse it with an updated or completely different OS it usually causes more trouble than it is worth because the config files get stale or updated versions of programs change the config and you end up resetting all that stuff anyway. You can also potentially have tons of config files for programs you don't have or will never install on a new system. Web browsers and stuff with cloud accounts keep all of your Browser bookmarks intact now so the reasons for preserving a /home folder are less and less persuasive. On top of that with MX Linux you can snapshot your system any time and have an ISO set up your way to reinstall from.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

@GMaq
@sunrat

Thanks for that info...certainly got me thinking more. Probably like you I have quite a lot of VST's that I install, and other audio programs...are you saying that you are happy to fully re-install ALL your programs every time you change or indeed have a need to re-install the OS? All those setups tweaked and modded that need to all be done over?
In some cases I have nearly 100gig of sample and other data (and that's just two apps) that needs to get installed as well, not to mention DAW configuration settings.

Sorry, not being argumentative, just trying to clarify it all :)

So, to confirm, are you saying that all that stuff can ONLY be installed to those system folders and not to a separate partition?
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

fwiw, I read this elsewhere....and was basing my ideas on it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most applications you install yourself get installed in /opt/ and /usr/bin, so install Ubuntu normally and then use the below steps where I'm assuming /dev/sda is your SSD, /dev/sdb is your HDD and /dev/sdd is your USB stick:

Boot the external USB disk with the version of Ubuntu you just installed.
Create a partition on your HDD to contain all the applications you want to install (let's say 64 GB) using gparted and I'm assuming this will be the third partition you'll be creating on your HDD (/dev/sbd3)

Mount that partition in a temporary directory:

mkdir /media/apps
mount /dev/sdb3 /media/apps

copy the existing /opt and /usr/bin to there:

mkdir /media/apps/usr
cp --preserve=all --recursive /opt /media/apps
cp --preserve=all --recursive /usr/bin /media/apps/usr

sudo nano the fstab on /dev/sda1/etc/ to include the following right after the / entry (the root directory)

/dev/sdb3 /media/apps ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 0
/opt /media/apps/opt none defaults,bind 0 0
/usr/bin /media/apps/usr/bin none defaults,bind 0 0

reboot and test
If everything works correctly, reboot to the USB stick again and delete everything in the /dev/sda1/opt and /dev/sda1/usr/bin to reclaim the disk space still in use by now obsolete directories already mounted somewhere else.

Warning: the last command might also make your system crash in the unlikely case of /dev/sbd3 not mounting due to a HW failure
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. That guide sounds like a very bad idea and will cause you pain. When you install an application it creates resources in /usr/share/ , settings files in $HOME and possibly /etc , menu entries and desktop shortcuts so you will miss all of those using that guide. Without /usr/share many won't work at all.
I keep notes of all the software installs and settings changes so I can reinstall very quickly when I wish to. You can discover what you have installed from repos with (as root or sudo):_

Code: Select all

history | grep install
Read my guide for installing Debian Bullseye for audio production - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22793 . It will give you an idea of what is involved. I can go from empty partition to fully tweaked and working on music in about an hour. All my sessions and samples etc. are on a separate partition but OS, all applications, and $HOME are together on one partition.
Or just install AVL-MXE and applications on one partition, sessions and sounds on another, and go make music! Don't overthink it. :wink:
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Ahh, so I CAN at least install all the wav, midi and sample data (about 135gig) to the separate partition? That's interesting....it is that stuff that takes the time to install.

And having done that that partition does not have to have the /home or those other directories on it, yes?

I could probably point Sampletank to look on THAT partition for the required sample data...

I have read that others have managed to install ST4 using the exe file and NOT the download manager which will not run at all, it installs but will not run on downloads that require it.

Thanks for the link, I will read it!

EDIT: and a bit OT: do you know of any safe way to use the Pantheon system from Elementary OS, or any others that give the Mac look and feel? I tried one (said it was Pantheon) in GMaq's distro and it bricked it hahaha!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

No idea about Sampletank. There are some good native Linux samplers; I have successfully used Qsampler, Fluida and Sfizz. The less you need to rely on WINE, the better IMO.
Also no idea about Pantheon. I've never been one to play with themes and am quite happy with the default Breeze Dark theme I use in KDE Plasma. I tried Elementary OS a few days ago in a VM and deleted it almost immediately. It is extremely limited in configurability and didn't like the theme at all. Reminded me of a mobile phone OS.
It may be better to restrict questions in this thread to those related to AVL-MXE and ask specific application questions in a new thread to attract more readers and helpers.
pax-eterna
Established Member

Post by pax-eterna »

Yeah for sure, which is why i prefixed by the OT: - I wasn't planning on expanding it any further than the question I asked tbh :)

I had a look at the Linux Samplers but none offer anything like bread and butter sounds, without extensive searching, downloading and converting of .SF2 files -which would take, like forever hahaha! None (the samplers) come with any presets that I could see.

Anyway thanks again for your time on these questions, it is much appreciated and your advice is well given and well met! kudos :)