Ubuntu (Studio) 9.10

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Ubuntu (Studio) 9.10

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

Are there already experiences with it and if so how good or bad are they when it comes to pro audio?
spm_gl
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu (Studio) 9.10

Post by spm_gl »

Is it really worth upgrading? Always a huge hassle. Then again, if Studio 9.10 offers a decent kernel performance and stability, I might just try it.
--- Spreemusik ---
Jan Fuchsmann, Audio Engineer
Check our blog at http://www.spreemusik.com/blog
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Which version do you use now?

I'm interested whether the RT kernel works good and if the pulseaudio problem is solved
danni
Established Member

Post by danni »

The RT kernel for 9.10 is a big improvement over the one for 9.04... I discovered today that this kernel is backported via a ppa to 9.04 should want a better kernel and not want to bother upgrading.

I can't comment about pulse as I don't use it.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Backporting a kernel? Is that really a good thing?
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

studio32 wrote:Backporting a kernel? Is that really a good thing?
RedHat has been doing it for years.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

backporting is a good thing, sure:

70% of the changes in 2.6.31 are about device drivers. So if you had one device that could not work with 2.6.27 or whatever it was in 9.04, and is now supported by 2.6.31, then you see the benefit of backporting :)
studio32

Post by studio32 »

And backporting from for example jaunty to hardy? Is that possible? How do they make such backports?
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

A quick note on the topic: I've upgraded one of my 9.04 Jaunty installations to 9.10 Karmic. I must say that Ubuntu just might be getting the message. The stock kernel is a 2.6.31 non-rt version, but an rt-enabled kernel is also installed. I've only used the non-rt kernel so far, but it performs pretty well with JACK in rt mode. I look forward to experimenting with the rt kernel.

I've made only two significant changes to the system. I added myself to the audio group (why oh why doesn't UStudio do that by default?) and I had to change two lines in umountfs so that I could get a clean shutdown. Not bad when compared to the hoops I've jumped through for earlier versions of Ubuntu.

Btw, I upgraded specifically for writing an article about video editors in Karmic. The normal installation and repos give me Kdenlive, Kino, LiVES, PiTiVi, and OpenMovieEditor (I'm not counting Blender as an NLE). Not bad, but AFAICT there's no Cinelerra and no OpenShot in the repos, alas.
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

I've just completed two fresh installations of Karmic Studio for the BLIT tomorrow, and except for the major grub2 bug, it works pretty well. On a clean install, the user is in the audio group, it seems.
We'll see how it performs this evening.
--- Spreemusik ---
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

spm_gl wrote:except for the major grub2 bug
Which is that? On my upgraded machine, I noticed grub isn't showing the newer karmic kernels yet, not even after a 'sudo update-grub' - haven't had time to look into it further though.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

raboof wrote:...On my upgraded machine, I noticed grub isn't showing the newer karmic kernels yet, not even after a 'sudo update-grub' - haven't had time to look into it further though.
Oops, I forgot to mention that I had that problem too. Try 'sudo update-grub2', that worked for me.

Best,

dp
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

On one of the machines, the fresh install wouldn't boot, because grub2 can't find the drive. Seems dependent on the hard drive though, because the other machine had no problems whatsoever.
We've just completed setting up in Potsdam, and everything worked straight away. Nice, for a change. Looks like UbuntuStudio is usable again.
--- Spreemusik ---
spm_gl
Established Member

Post by spm_gl »

Just letting you all know, we used UbuntuStudio 9.10 for a live audio/video installation, where people could make music to a video loop, with 4 workstations. 2 of them had a fresh, untuned installation of US, and everything worked perfectly.
--- Spreemusik ---
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

I am also very positively surprised. US9.10 is the very first version of US that works perfectly well for me. And it does so o.o.t.b. - very much to my satisfaction....
nostrum fungitur