AVLinux-MXE Getting Started

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stratojaune
Established Member

Re: AVLinux-MXE Getting Started

Post by stratojaune »

Hi there,

I install a clean AVL-MXE on this machine, and have a crackle noise in the left speaker added to Ardour output.
same config as usual, nothing added to the distro, everything seems ok in Alsa, Pulse and Jack.

the noise doesn't exist if I boot the machine on Debian

does somebody encounter the same issue ?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 pm I need smaller AVLinux terminals. with no ascii text at the top, would like just a single line with username and the prompt.
Thanks for any help. Didn't see anything in the terminal preferences.
Cheers
Hi,

The terminal customizations are found in ~/.bashrc and for root in /root/.bashrc

To get rid of them you can comment out or remove the following from the .bashrc file:

Code: Select all

#AVL-MXE TERMINAL CUSTOMIZATION

# DEFINE TEXT COLORS

declare -r BLACK='\e[0;30m'
declare -r RED='\e[0;31m'
declare -r GREEN='\e[0;32m'
declare -r BROWN='\e[0;33m'
declare -r BLUE='\e[0;34m'
declare -r PURPLE='\e[0;35m'
declare -r CYAN='\e[0;36m'
declare -r LIGHT_GREY='\e[0;37m'
declare -r DARK_GREY='\e[0;90m'
declare -r LIGHT_RED='\e[0;91m'
declare -r LIGHT_GREEN='\e[0;92m'
declare -r YELLOW='\e[0;93m'
declare -r LIGHT_BLUE='\e[0;94m'
declare -r LIGHT_PURPLE='\e[0;95m'
declare -r LIGHT_CYAN='\e[0;96m'
declare -r WHITE='\e[0;97m'

# DEFINE BOLD TEXT COLOR

declare -r BOLD_DARK_GREY='\e[1;30m'
declare -r BOLD_LIGHT_RED='\e[1;31m'
declare -r BOLD_LIGHT_GREEN='\e[1;32m'
declare -r BOLD_YELLOW='\e[1;33m'
declare -r BOLD_LIGHT_BLUE='\e[1;34m'
declare -r BOLD_LIGHT_PURPLE='\e[1;35m'
declare -r BOLD_LIGHT_CYAN='\e[1;36m'
declare -r BOLD_WHITE='\e[1;37m'

# DEFINE UNDERLINED TEXT

declare -r UNDERLINE_BLACK='\e[4;30m'
declare -r UNDERLINE_RED='\e[4;31m'
declare -r UNDERLINE_GREEN='\e[4;32m'
declare -r UNDERLINE_BROWN='\e[4;33m'
declare -r UNDERLINE_BLUE='\e[4;34m'
declare -r UNDERLINE_PURPLE='\e[4;35m'
declare -r UNDERLINE_CYAN='\e[4;36m'
declare -r UNDERLINE_LIGHT_GREY='\e[4;37m'

function setTextStyle() { echo -en "$1"; }

setTextStyle $BROWN
cat /opt/ASCII/AVL-MXE-Small.txt
setTextStyle $BOLD_WHITE
echo " AV Linux MX Edition"
setTextStyle $DEFAULT_TEXT

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

stratojaune wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:06 am Hi there,

I install a clean AVL-MXE on this machine, and have a crackle noise in the left speaker added to Ardour output.
same config as usual, nothing added to the distro, everything seems ok in Alsa, Pulse and Jack.

Hello Stratojaune!

I do not know of anything specific to AVL that would be causing this crackle nor have there been any other reports anywhere about it. Just for the sake of comparison could you try another DAW, like Reaper or the Mixbus demo to see if this issue affects something other than Ardour?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

GMaq wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:24 pm
glowrak guy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 pm I need smaller AVLinux terminals. with no ascii text at the top, would like just a single line with username and the prompt.
Thanks for any help. Didn't see anything in the terminal preferences.
Cheers
Hi,

The terminal customizations are found in ~/.bashrc and for root in /root/.bashrc
Thanks for the info! I experiment a lot, use a lot of standalones, and start things from terminals quite often,
hoping for terminal output information, and a rescue killswitch when veering off the main path. :oops:
MX may be great, but sessions also lock-up far more than any distro I've used, and even in seemingly low-key situations.
Probably common apps just aren't keeping pace with the distro! But ext4 recovers very nicely, haven't even checked any logs,
but maybe I should, just in case...

Maybe in a future release, the newer Rakarrack-plus could become part of AVL?
The old version is having build-issues with old dependencies, and the new one
doesn't build using Arch linux bauh package manager. It's a great multi-effects app,
a solid reason to use linux on it's own!

https://github.com/Stazed/rakarrack-plus
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:03 am
MX may be great, but sessions also lock-up far more than any distro I've used, and even in seemingly low-key situations.
Probably common apps just aren't keeping pace with the distro! But ext4 recovers very nicely, haven't even checked any logs,
but maybe I should, just in case...
Well as stated in the release notes and in the User Manual there is no longer any such thing as a 'one-size-fits-all' kernel. If you are noting instability maybe the default RT Kernel is not your best option..

Options are:

- Update to the latest 5.10.52 RT or alternatively Lowlatency Kernel which has the added benefit of the Sequoia security patch.
- Try the Liquorix Kernel (Repos included in AVL-MXE)

The countless variations of ages and types of hardware out there and the vastly accelerated pace of Kernel development in current times unfortunately make stability a bit more of a puzzle for the end-user to find the perfect combo for their machines.
stratojaune
Established Member

Post by stratojaune »

GMaq wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:16 pm
stratojaune wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:06 am Hi there,

Hello Stratojaune!

I do not know of anything specific to AVL that would be causing this crackle nor have there been any other reports anywhere about it. Just for the sake of comparison could you try another DAW, like Reaper or the Mixbus demo to see if this issue affects something other than Ardour?
Thanks for your quick answer GMaq :)

have tested Audacity, same crakling noise W/Jack, no noise without Jack & output to Alsa in prefs.

Ardour output to Alsa same noise than with Jack when play, Ardour output to Pulse the noise is here all the time, even when no transport!!! it's the same if session is launched without plugins

I don't understand what is happening
manoftao
Established Member

Post by manoftao »

@GMaq
Thanks Glenn for responding.
I used the usb writer in Mint to make the avl-mxe liveusb. It boots fine on my old Acer laptop. But the dell xps no go..
When i installed mint on the xps i made a small fat partition for the boot manager; and yes it is uefi. I wonder if the problem lays therein.. I am not desperate to install avl but i like the whole setup as it ticks all my boxes for av work. Love the look too. low latency is fine as I am used to it:) What do you reckon?..
Cheers.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

manoftao wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:55 pm @GMaq
Thanks Glenn for responding.
I used the usb writer in Mint to make the avl-mxe liveusb. It boots fine on my old Acer laptop. But the dell xps no go..
When i installed mint on the xps i made a small fat partition for the boot manager; and yes it is uefi. I wonder if the problem lays therein.. I am not desperate to install avl but i like the whole setup as it ticks all my boxes for av work. Love the look too. low latency is fine as I am used to it:) What do you reckon?..
Cheers.
Hi,

So if I have this right AVL-MXE is booting but not finding devices to install to?

There were some issues in the MX Installer found recently for installation on UEFI installs and they have fixed them as far as I know..

Are you the same person who posted in this thread?:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=10

I don't maintain or develop the MX Installer so the best advice and answers will be from posting in the MX Respins forum I just linked to hopefully speak to an MX dev for specific installer device or if you are the person that already posted there provide the QSI info so they can help you further.
manoftao
Established Member

Post by manoftao »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the latest mx21 managed to install on the dell xps. Im sussing it out to see if everything works and I can get my head around all the bits n pieces and see if i can actually make music. Ive been using linux (mostly mint) for years but for music making and producing I stuck to windoze for availability of sounds and vsts. Ive been using Bitwig for a while now and that might help transition to linux but not sure.. We'll see. For general use and basic music production Linux is great. Cheers.