trying to find Linux daily driver

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sarena77

trying to find Linux daily driver

Post by sarena77 »

Hello everyone,

so lets start off am new to Linux overall and am 13 Ive tried several distros such as parrot Kali Ubuntu and manjaro i love a challenge in learning a difficult OS and i i do python programing and in the future plane to start hacking also i play quite a bit of games
Jamesf
Established Member

Re: trying to find Linux daily driver

Post by Jamesf »

If you're serious about the "challenge" part, try Nixos.
I love it because it gives me predictability about what's installed, repeatability when I set up a new machine, and it eliminates cruft.

It's just not something I normally recommend, because there's a heck of a learning curve involved. However, it's my daily driver, so why not see how far you get? :)
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
logicgate
Established Member

Post by logicgate »

Only you can answer your question as to what distribution is right for you.

When I first started with Linux-based systems in 2006 I tried to create a custom, minimalist system and failed miserably; I didn't know enough at the time. I then installed Ubuntu and was happy. Since then I've used Xubuntu, Arch Linux, and Ubuntu MATE.

I think your best bet is to try out "live" versions of various distros (without actually installing anything) and see what you like. You may find you have a strong preference for a particular desktop environment (GNOME, KDE, MATE, Xfce, etc.). Another factor is whether the distro is a "rolling" release (continually updated, such as with Arch Linux) or gets major updates at specified intervals (such as Ubuntu).

Enjoy your search. :)
Logic Gate Music (retro electronic music and more...)
TygerTung
Established Member

Post by TygerTung »

I'm using Lubuntu at the moment on my netbook, as it is fast and my netbook is old. It doesn't have too many programmes pre-installed which is nice.

I have been using Ubuntu Studio for my audio workstations as it is already set up for audio. It has a lot of pre-installed programmes.
mk1967
Established Member

Post by mk1967 »

On old computers I use to use Debian (10 or 11) LXDE as a daily driver, at times with IceWM also.

For audio stuff AVLinux has run fine on my machines - LibraZiK studio http://librazik.tuxfamily.org/base-site-LZK/english.php (Debian-based also) even better.

Michael