screen blanker isues

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

willmorrison
Established Member

screen blanker isues

Post by willmorrison »

I am using AV Linux and Ubuntu studio (latest versions of both) and am having an issue with both of them. Same issue, so it must be a common root. I have both the screen saver and the power saver blanking off, so they should just stay running, correct? But they don't. Each of them will turn the screen off at some predetermined time, and I would rather leave them on. Ordinarily this would not be a huge issue, but I can't get the AV machine back on when it goes away, requiring a reboot, and the Ubuntu machine will come back on, but the sound will be dead. SO if I was using Firefox, for instance, went away and came back, the sound no longer works. This also requires a reboot to fix.

Where am I missing a switch to flip? I've gone through every setup routine and app on the system(s) and can't find out why it's still doing the blanking. This is on two desktops, so power management shouldn't even be an issue. Can't find a menu optinn for it, even. What is going on here, and how do I defeat this? I would rather leave the machines both on all the time and just turn off the monitor, something that I've been able to do for years before. Where is this setting being hidden?

Thanks in advance.
willmorrison
Established Member

Re: screen blanker isues

Post by willmorrison »

Well, I seem to have stumped everyone with that one. And now there is a little twist. There has been an update since I noticed this issue, and of course I did it. Now, the sound seems to stay on, but if I call up Firefox and You tube after the machine being down from the blanker, the sound is there, but is no longer synced to the video. Off by about 1/5th of a second. Again, a reboot is required to fix this. Apparently I'm not the only one who noticed this issue, but they haven't quite gotten it worked out yet. I would just be happy getting the blasted blanker to stop doing it's thing, since I've told it NOT to in every setup screen and utility I can find in either system. Oh, well. What can you do. At least I'm only turning on the AVL machine when I need to do audio work, but the Ubuntu one is my daily machine, it's on all the time. It would be nice to not have to deal with this screen blanker thing.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Not using Ubuntu nor AVL so that's a shot in the dark (grin fact) but what gives:

Code: Select all

xset q | grep -A4 ^DPMS
and in case it says otherwise than "DPMS is Disabled" try:

Code: Select all

xset dpms 0 0 0
xset s off -dpms
(sure seems redundant and then some but on some confs and ware it goes so, so...)
willmorrison
Established Member

Post by willmorrison »

Thanks, I will give that a try. This whole thing is kind of annoying. Before I upgraded, this didn't happen at all, it's only after the upgrades that it does.
willmorrison
Established Member

Post by willmorrison »

Dpms was still on. It's now off, we will see what it does when I get home from work today. Then I will try it on the AVL machine and try that. I keep my fingers crossed. Wonder why the utils don't shut that off? Oh, well, that's one thing I love about linux. Someone somewhere always knows what the issue is. Thanks muchly!
willmorrison
Established Member

Post by willmorrison »

Okay, I think we can call this one solved and move on. In AV Linux, DPMS is marked as off, but it is marked as 600 600 600 rather than 0 0 0.
So I went in and changed it to 0 0 0 , and checked it again. Suddenly now it's on, but with 0 0 0 . So I reset it to off, now it's been on for over an hour and hasn't blanked the screen yet. I think you've done it, thank you very much! This makes my life much more workable, at least as far as my computers are concerned. I don't have to keep rebooting endlessly just to get sound working.

THANK YOU!