Kernel Updates Crash Ubuntu Studio 20.04 FF 5.4.0-45 this time

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wardlok
Established Member

Kernel Updates Crash Ubuntu Studio 20.04 FF 5.4.0-45 this time

Post by wardlok »

This has happened before exactly the same way.

Nvidia vid card driver not loading.
Device-1: NVIDIA GT218M [NVS 3100M] driver: N/A
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: fbdev,nouveau
unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1280x800~76Hz
OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A

These errors have appeared again.
[ 10.144723] usb 1-1.2.2: cannot submit urb 0, error -19: no device
[ 10.148768] usb 1-1.2.2: cannot submit urb 0, error -19: no device

This will be fixed,like usual. It always does. I'll wait it out.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Kernel Updates Crash Ubuntu Studio 20.04 FF 5.4.0-45 this time

Post by sysrqer »

Try reinstalling Nvidia drivers manually. That doesn't look like a kernel crash.
wardlok
Established Member

Post by wardlok »

Unread post by sysrqer » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:11 pm
Try reinstalling Nvidia drivers manually. That doesn't look like a kernel crash.

[/quote
I your appreciate your response,sysrger. Software&Updates>Additional Drivers shows Using NVIDIA binary driver-version 340.108 from nvidia-340(proprietary,tested). I've experienced this sort of thing before. Not just on this machine,this distro but on my other machine with a LinuxMint distro installed. Something about these NVIDIA proprietary drivers all quirky.On other machine,months past by before 4.15 series generic kernels would jive with the system.I didn't bother with kernel updates for quite a while for exact same reason I'm experiencing,here,on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 FF. One day,Update Manager listed an NVIDIA update then all was well after installing that update and 4.15 generic kernels have been working excellent ever since. That was at least 18-20 months ago.
Anyways,I'm sitting here contemplating taking your advice just to see what happens but also considering possibility I'll make things worse. Again,I appreciate your response.I'm going to sit here and think about it for a while. Report Problem message has been sent to administration. There good at making this stuff right.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I've had it before as well on kde neon, it is annoying and one of the many reasons I was happy to be rid of NVIDIA recently.

Try this:
  • Reinstall nvidia driver (if this is the package name)

Code: Select all

sudo apt --reinstall install nvidia-340 
  • Update grub

Sudo update-grub

Reboot
These steps are not dangerous so you have nothing to lose trying.

I don't remember what exactly fixed it for me, it was either this or reinstalling the kernel before/after reinstalling nvidia.

You can also boot into the previous kernel with the grub, choose advanced options and choose the previous one. I think what happens is that the driver doesn't install the kernel parts properly or the kernel doesn't recognise them for some reason so your previous kernel will probably still work.

You can also try blacklisting nouveau driver. I never had to do this and it's a little riskier if the nvidia driver isn't installed properly so make sure you know how to access a terminal if you can't get to your desktop and re-edit the files (think it's control + alt + F2 or other F key, then login and cd to the blacklist file and then open/edit with nano). You can google blacklisting nouveau driver if you want to try this.
wardlok
Established Member

Post by wardlok »

by sysrqer » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:03 am
I've had it before as well on kde neon, it is annoying and one of the many reasons I was happy to be rid of NVIDIA recently.

Try this:

Reinstall nvidia driver (if this is the package name)

sudo apt --reinstall install nvidia-340

Update grub

Sudo update-grub

Reboot

These steps are not dangerous so you have nothing to lose trying.

I don't remember what exactly fixed it for me, it was either this or reinstalling the kernel before/after reinstalling nvidia.

You can also boot into the previous kernel with the grub, choose advanced options and choose the previous one. I think what happens is that the driver doesn't install the kernel parts properly or the kernel doesn't recognise them for some reason so your previous kernel will probably still work.

You can also try blacklisting nouveau driver. I never had to do this and it's a little riskier if the nvidia driver isn't installed properly so make sure you know how to access a terminal if you can't get to your desktop and re-edit the files (think it's control + alt + F2 or other F key, then login and cd to the blacklist file and then open/edit with nano). You can google blacklisting nouveau driver if you want to try this.
Alright,I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for your help,sysrqer. BTW,I read on a social media platform that all things "blacklist" were being scrapped by Linux across the board to appease "political correctness" agenda. I remember executing that option a few years ago on my other machine/distro.
wardlok
Established Member

Post by wardlok »

@sysrqer
Well,it was worth a try but no change,at all. I'm not going to pursue this any further for the time being. Who knows what will happen if I get into "blacklist nouveau" option if what I read on social media is accurate. I remember I did execute that option somewhere along the line in my other machine/distro. Oh well. Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge with me,sysrqer. I'm going to sit on this for a few days and see what happens. The entire system isn't borked so I can use it if I choose. Limited to only one vid monitor,though,and graphics are in some sort of rendering mode,or something. I'll be back. :roll:
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's a shame, maybe it is the kernel that needs reinstalling and grub updating then.

Try booting into your previous kernel, it should still be there and will probably work with the nvidia drivers.
wardlok
Established Member

Post by wardlok »

@sysrqer
I would do that but sudo apt autoclean and sudo apt autoremove have discarded previous kernel from system. I can't remember which one it was. That wasn't wise. There is another post in here from me outlining the same issue with a previous kernel listed in that post. Maybe I'll try that one. I know it worked. Thanks,sysrqer.
Actually,I have everything backed up on external drive. DUHHHH! I will go there for previous kernel.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

:idea: Only after successfully booting and testing the new kernel I uninstall the old kernel. ;-) :idea:

Install the old, previously used kernel version and the Nvidia drivers. Then everything should work again.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

wardlok wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:55 pm @sysrqer
I would do that but sudo apt autoclean and sudo apt autoremove have discarded previous kernel from system. I can't remember which one it was. That wasn't wise. There is another post in here from me outlining the same issue with a previous kernel listed in that post. Maybe I'll try that one. I know it worked. Thanks,sysrqer.
Actually,I have everything backed up on external drive. DUHHHH! I will go there for previous kernel.
Those commands should still leave one previous kernel unless you explicitly uninstalled the previous one.

What is the output when you run sudo update-grub?
wardlok
Established Member

Post by wardlok »

sysrqer
sudo update-grub has 5.4.0-42-lowlatency still listed.
wardlok
Established Member

Post by wardlok »

khz wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:11 pm :idea: Only after successfully booting and testing the new kernel I uninstall the old kernel. ;-) :idea:

Install the old, previously used kernel version and the Nvidia drivers. Then everything should work again.
Thanks for the tip. Good thing system automatically holds on to previous kernel. Update Manager in LinuxMint I'm more familiar with.