Thread for AV Linux 2020.4.10 Issues

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Re: Thread for AV Linux 2020.4.10 Issues

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

I'd like to add to the chorus of enthusiastic approval for AVL2020 + GMaq. Thanks, it's great, and the manual is perfect.

I am having - and HAVE had - the same problem as @sirjohndfox. It's been a thorn in my side for a few years now, since I started using AVL in 2018. Basically, the two-finger scroll on my touchpad doesn't work. It works in vanilla Debian (also w/XFCE), in Ubuntu, KDE, anything else I try (previously installed KXStudio, tested more recently with various USB ISOs).

Maybe TODAY IS THE DAY we solve this! Here's my aborted attempt to fix it a while ago.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19479&p=102316
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@ZestieBumwhig @sirjohndfox

Try this:

In a Root Term:

Code: Select all

mousepad /etc/modprobe.d/touchpad.conf
Then comment out touchpad.conf so it looks like this:
# options psmouse proto=imps
Save in Mousepad... Reboot and cross your fingers...?

Let me know if that helps/works..
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@Robin Cherry @khz

Thanks khz for helping Robin get it sorted out..

Robin I'm wondering if you used dd manually or did you know AV Linux has it's own DD Key writing utility in the Accessories menu?
AVLDD.png
AVLDD.png (18.86 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
Also if you did use the AVL DD Utility I'd like to know if it was writing with the wrong options or if it was your own command that was causing trouble..?
Lastly did Unetbooting throw an actual error or was it just taking a long time? It's normal for Unetbootin to stay at 98% for quite a long time while it writes the "squashfs" filesystem to the key, it can take 15 minutes or so..
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

@GMaq @sirjohndfox Drat, I knew it couldn't be that easy... I tried, but it's the same. My "Mouse and Touchpad" in Settings Manager still identifies my touchpad as "PS2/Generic Mouse," and I think that's part of the issue.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm, Drat indeed!

That "touchpad.conf" file is the only actual customization I've knowingly done to AV Linux and it goes back a lot of years, with it commented out to my knowledge you should be back to what a default Debian system would be... :?

Anything here of interest?: https://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchp ... f_Touchpad
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

pledge wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:22 pm Hi,

I wanted to insall the AV-Linux on SSD, but I already have a Windows 10 installation on the same SSD I like to keep and I do have UEFI.

Therefore I thought, I have to skip the creation of the 128mb FAT32 EFI partition and only made the SWAP and the ext4 Partitions. In systemback, I marked the already existing EFI Partition as EFI Partition.

In the step of formation & copying with systemback, systembackup could not format the EFI. Systembackup reported that it was due to the reason, that it's already in use or not available.

Anybody knows, how I can fix this?
Hi!

To be honest I've only gotten my first UEFI computer very recently and I have not Dual booted with Windows for at least 10 years so I want to be very careful with advice..

In the good old days before UEFI when you installed a Linux alongside Windows GRUB would find your Windows partition bootloader and often on the next boot GRUB would have you good to go to choose between Windows and Linux

In AV Linux we are using 'grub-efi' so what I DON'T know is.. if you delete or keep your existing EFI partition and create a new one with Systemback whether 'grub-efi' will look after setting up the Windows Bootloader for you or not.

So I'm afraid I don't have a clear answer but I have a better defined question in case anyone else reading who dual boots EFI systems can comment..
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

GMaq wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 pm @Robin Cherry @khz

Thanks khz for helping Robin get it sorted out..

Robin I'm wondering if you used dd manually or did you know AV Linux has it's own DD Key writing utility in the Accessories menu?

AVLDD.png

Also if you did use the AVL DD Utility I'd like to know if it was writing with the wrong options or if it was your own command that was causing trouble..?
Lastly did Unetbooting throw an actual error or was it just taking a long time? It's normal for Unetbootin to stay at 98% for quite a long time while it writes the "squashfs" filesystem to the key, it can take 15 minutes or so..
The first time i tried to install avl2020 I used that utility, super helpful! In the process of installing I formatted the drive that had avl2019 on it so couldn't use it for subsequent attempts. I suppose in hindsight the reason the utility likely didn't work for me is that I had the usb key formatted as ntfs. If that wasn't the issue I don't know what was. The download sums matched and the utility finished without errors.

In case anyone else runs into the same problem as me the issue was in my dd parameters. I went with this one first time around, worked for debian and other distributions but not avl

"sudo dd bs=4M if=isotester-avl64-2020.4.10.iso of=/dev/sdg conv=fdatasync status=progress"

what ended up working though was the parameters the @khz suggested

"sudo dd if=isotester-avl64-2020.4.10.iso of=/dev/sdg bs=4M && sync"

Thanks again, I'm enjoying it so far.
sirjohndfox
Established Member

Post by sirjohndfox »

@ZestieBumwhig @GMaq

I've got a feeling it's related to the rules in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/

I've installed the debian live is on my laptop just in order to make it more functional... didnt have the energy today to do another reisntall :(

Was mucking around trying to edit the AVL iso file system - not a trivial task hat's off to Gmaq! Couldn't do it in the end...

But here is the /usr/share/X11/ from the current debian install with touch pad working full featured...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F2z1x ... KMSf3mmT68
rohitverma1
Established Member

Post by rohitverma1 »

pledge wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:22 pm Hi,

I wanted to insall the AV-Linux on SSD, but I already have a Windows 10 installation on the same SSD I like to keep and I do have UEFI.

Therefore I thought, I have to skip the creation of the 128mb FAT32 EFI partition and only made the SWAP and the ext4 Partitions. In systemback, I marked the already existing EFI Partition as EFI Partition.

In the step of formation & copying with systemback, systembackup could not format the EFI. Systembackup reported that it was due to the reason, that it's already in use or not available.

Anybody knows, how I can fix this?
Since you wish to keep windows installation intact, DO NOT try to format EFI as you will loose the ability to boot the current windows installation. Instead, select /boot/efi mount point and "UNCHECK" the format option and finalize the changes for efi partition. This will ensure that grub will catch the windows bootloader and add an entry for it in the boot menu.
rohitverma1
Established Member

Post by rohitverma1 »

GMaq wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:33 pm Hmmm

That is a strange bug in mpv.. What if you use it with JACK? It does also connect directly to JACK

Also you probably could remove the transparent hugepage boot parameter, it was supposed to improve performance but we started using it a long time ago, it's possible it's not even relevant in newer kernels.. *shrugs

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#audio-output-drivers
Hi, I found the solution for this mpv problem.
add "vd-lavc-dr=no" in ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf (create this file if it is not already created). Videos now start without any lag or hangs. :)
rohitverma1
Established Member

Post by rohitverma1 »

khz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:02 am When I want to shut down or restart the computer I have to enter my root password every time. I have already looked for solutions on the internet, but so far without success. Can anyone help me that the logged in user is allowed to shut down or restart the computer without password request?

<EDIT>
One more question: Pulseaudio doesn't seem to work for me, it won't start - which is great for a LAW but jack is not supported by web browsers.

systemctl --user start pulseaudio.socket && systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service
Failed to start pulseaudio.socket: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
Solution: This manual is very old (Wheezy Jessie and Testing) but it works
Creating a file "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla" with the following content:

[Local restart]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local shutdown]
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local restart - multiple]
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local shutdown - multiple]
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes
The user must be in the users group.

gpasswd -a Benutzer users
Source: https://wiki.debianforum.de/Xfce#Rechte ... nterfahren.
If they do it differently nowadays let me know.
</EDIT>

<EDIT-2>I don't know if I should be happy or not, but:
Pulseaudio is going. I haven't done anything except shut down the computer entry ... . Hmmm.
Pulseaudio %~\</EDIT>
Did you made the installation of AVLinux by mistakenly booting into root user of the AVLinux ?
Try to remember if it the case because this could be the reason for both of your problems. Audio doesn't work in root user as pulse strongly recommend to start from a user other than root. It has happened to me once before with AVLinux 2019. This was the case for me.
Reinstall the system by logging in the "isotester" user and start systemback from there. It will ask for the root password, type the live-iso root password there and complete the installation that way. :)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I had selected "AVLinux installer" in the USB Grub start menu.
I will install it again, this time I boot the Live "isotester" system and press installer systemback from there.
Thanks for the hint.
Edit: OK, RTFM ;-)
It is strongly suggested to NOT install AV Linux using the “Boot System Installer” menu option and to instead choose the top “Boot Live System” option and follow the instructions in the next section closely
https://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2020UserManual.pdf
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Thanks, it works now. :-D
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
pledge
Established Member

Post by pledge »

rohitverma1 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:39 am

Since you wish to keep windows installation intact, DO NOT try to format EFI as you will loose the ability to boot the current windows installation. Instead, select /boot/efi mount point and "UNCHECK" the format option and finalize the changes for efi partition. This will ensure that grub will catch the windows bootloader and add an entry for it in the boot menu.
Thank you - that worked, your suggestion resulted in an installation that copied all files to the designated partitions.
What is a little bit inconvinient is, that my EFI does't recognize GRUB2 as a possible starting system I can choose. So my workflow for starting AVL is interrupting the normal boot sequence and navigate in EFI in a folder menu in several steps until I find GRUB2 to start AVL.
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

I just wanted to say how much I'm liking the new distribution. Really smooth and bang up to date.