Thread for AV Linux 2020.4.10 Issues

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: Thread for AV Linux 2020.4.10 Issues

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

Thanks for your reports, by now I'm sure you'd like to throw darts at my picture..

I'll start with the obvious.. You checked your md5 and sha256 sums on your download of AV Linux 2020? (User manual pages 4 and 5)

This is odd... the only other difference I see from what I've been doing here is you made your USB with 'dd' which shouldn't be a problem normally but to be honest All of my testing with AVL 2020 has been with keys made with Unetbootin not dd
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Is there a reason why there are no debian-security and buster-updates entries in the sources.list?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

khz wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:16 pm Is there a reason why there are no debian-security and buster-updates entries in the sources.list?
No reason really, I think the security updates setting just got missed when I moved from Debian 9-10..
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

GMaq wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:23 pm No reason really, I think the security updates setting just got missed when I moved from Debian 9-10..
Ah, OK. Would be nice if they were included by default, not only for Linux newbies.
Among other things audio is running great, thank you.
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

<EDIT>- Unnecessary, I had made a mistake installing it. -</EDIT>

When I want to shut down or restart the computer I have to enter my root password every time. I have already looked for solutions on the internet, but so far without success. Can anyone help me that the logged in user is allowed to shut down or restart the computer without password request?

<EDIT>
One more question: Pulseaudio doesn't seem to work for me, it won't start - which is great for a LAW but jack is not supported by web browsers.

Code: Select all

systemctl --user start pulseaudio.socket && systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service
Failed to start pulseaudio.socket: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
Solution: This manual is very old (Wheezy Jessie and Testing) but it works
Creating a file "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla" with the following content:

[Local restart]
Identity=unix-group:users
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local shutdown]
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local restart - multiple]
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

[Local shutdown - multiple]
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes
The user must be in the users group.

gpasswd -a Benutzer users
Source: https://wiki.debianforum.de/Xfce#Rechte ... nterfahren.
If they do it differently nowadays let me know.
</EDIT>

<EDIT-2>I don't know if I should be happy or not, but:
Pulseaudio is going. I haven't done anything except shut down the computer entry ... . Hmmm.
Pulseaudio %~\</EDIT>
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

GMaq wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 pm Hmmm,

Thanks for your reports, by now I'm sure you'd like to throw darts at my picture..

I'll start with the obvious.. You checked your md5 and sha256 sums on your download of AV Linux 2020? (User manual pages 4 and 5)

This is odd... the only other difference I see from what I've been doing here is you made your USB with 'dd' which shouldn't be a problem normally but to be honest All of my testing with AVL 2020 has been with keys made with Unetbootin not dd
Not cursing you at all! I'm grateful for your excellent work in bringing this distribution to us and your help troubleshooting.

I've re-downloaded it and rechecked both sums and they match, like they did the first time, so that wasn't the issue. I am using a legacy bios mb so I used your dd Usb tool previously. To rule it out I tried installing it with unetbootin on my other Linux install, my avl2019 install being gone now, and it wouldn't finish copying to the USB. So I did it again with dd. Just to clarify as well I am installing from the live environment.

I did some googling of this error and it is often related to a file naming issue, sometimes with changing from one drive format to another. I realized that I had the USB key formatted to NTFS previously so I reformatted it to ext4 and tried again, no difference. I did notice that you recommendnd a fat32 format for the USB in the manual. Could that be my issue? I haven't tried that format yet.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Robin Cherry wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Not cursing you at all! I'm grateful for your excellent work in bringing this distribution to us and your help troubleshooting.

I've re-downloaded it and rechecked both sums and they match, like they did the first time, so that wasn't the issue. I am using a legacy bios mb so I used your dd Usb tool previously. To rule it out I tried installing it with unetbootin on my other Linux install, my avl2019 install being gone now, and it wouldn't finish copying to the USB. So I did it again with dd. Just to clarify as well I am installing from the live environment.

I did some googling of this error and it is often related to a file naming issue, sometimes with changing from one drive format to another. I realized that I had the USB key formatted to NTFS previously so I reformatted it to ext4 and tried again, no difference. I did notice that you recommendnd a fat32 format for the USB in the manual. Could that be my issue? I haven't tried that format yet.
It's possible the key filesystem is the issue, for example some filesystems don't handle symlinks very gracefully.. I always use FAT32 on my keys and that seems to be the recommended filesystem for live booting so it's worth a try.

My workflow here is ISO --> 8 Gb FAT32 USB Key with Unetbootin..
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

khz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:02 am When I want to shut down or restart the computer I have to enter my root password every time. I have already looked for solutions on the internet, but so far without success. Can anyone help me that the logged in user is allowed to shut down or restart the computer without password request?

<EDIT>
One more question: Pulseaudio doesn't seem to work for me, it won't start - which is great for a LAW but jack is not supported by web browsers.

systemctl --user start pulseaudio.socket && systemctl --user start pulseaudio.service
Failed to start pulseaudio.socket: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
Solution: This manual is very old (Wheezy Jessie and Testing) but it works https://wiki.debianforum.de/Xfce#Rechte ... nterfahren.
If they do it differently nowadays let me know.
</EDIT>

<EDIT-2>I don't know if I should be happy or not, but:
Pulseaudio is going. I haven't done anything except shut down the computer entry ... . Hmmm.
Pulseaudio %~\</EDIT>
Are you using a non-English locale? (I assume so)

Sometimes locales can affect these kinds of things and I don't really know why because I don't test AVL with different locales.

As far as the computer not shutting down... I have also encountered that but it's hard to reproduce because it doesn't happen all the time, it seems to be related to a systemd process (probably as Root) running in the background. If you start with a fresh boot and then go to shutdown does it shutdown normally? Or if you start the computer with a fresh boot and use the web browser and then shutdown does it shutdown? It seems certain processes can get started when certain things are done on the computer that make it want to have Root Authorization to shut down but I haven't found a magic recipe to make it happen all the time yet..
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Yeah, I picked German locales.
Restart as well as shutdown is possible after the entry in the 50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla. Pulseaudio works again - for whatever reason. I hadn't done anything, maybe the best thing to do.
Sounds exciting, definitely fascinating. I'm watching Doctor Who right now, which is kind of appropriate, so impossible for me to continue testing right now. ;-)

AVLinux is super fast and stable, everything else seems to work. Audio is definitely 123% satisfactory, even with pulseaudio.
Great Distribution!

@Robin Cherry
I always use FAT32 for the USB stick (8 GB). To write the USB stick I use "dd":
Where is my USB stick

lsblk
Then the desired data medium umount, e. g.

umount /dev/sdb1
and then

dd if=/home/Path/to/isotester-avl64-2020.4.10.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M && sync
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

GMaq wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Robin Cherry wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:26 pm

It's possible the key filesystem is the issue, for example some filesystems don't handle symlinks very gracefully.. I always use FAT32 on my keys and that seems to be the recommended filesystem for live booting so it's worth a try.

My workflow here is ISO --> 8 Gb FAT32 USB Key with Unetbootin..
I tried it with a FAT32 filesystem both with and without the additional ext3 partition on the USB. Again, unetbootin wouldn't work so I used dd. It copies all 3+gb and finishes without error. When I try to boot with FAT32 it say something along the lines of iso not found, when I format the USB with ext4 it loads but won't install. I'm baffled. I tripled checked both sums and they match.
pledge
Established Member

Post by pledge »

Hi,

I wanted to insall the AV-Linux on SSD, but I already have a Windows 10 installation on the same SSD I like to keep and I do have UEFI.

Therefore I thought, I have to skip the creation of the 128mb FAT32 EFI partition and only made the SWAP and the ext4 Partitions. In systemback, I marked the already existing EFI Partition as EFI Partition.

In the step of formation & copying with systemback, systembackup could not format the EFI. Systembackup reported that it was due to the reason, that it's already in use or not available.

Anybody knows, how I can fix this?
sirjohndfox
Established Member

Post by sirjohndfox »

Gday Gmac.

Small issue: My synaptics touchpad won't scroll! I tried booting a live iso of debian 10.3.0 with nonfree firmware and it works. The debian 10 image uses 4.19.0-8-amd64
I've tried looking for differences in the modules loaded and the kernel configs - nothing yet
The same versions of libinput are installed
The only clue I have is in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Debian 10 it mentions the device as synPS/2 where as in AV Linux it's PS/2 Synaptics...

Any idea of other places to look?

Also the Discourse Forum that ardour runs looks pretty good. I looked into it and it can be setup fairly low cost if you choose unsupported on a $5/month Digital Ocean et al machine. I wonder if it can be set and forget. Just a thought.
Cheers
John
Last edited by sirjohndfox on Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

I mistakenly was dd'ing to sdg1 instead of sdg. If I dd to sdg it reformats the whole drive and eliminates the second partition then loops on the grub selection screen never managing to log-in, if dd to sdg1 it won't boot because it doesn't see the image. I'm not sure why unetbootin won't work, and in the manual you don't recommend it for non uefi systems anyway if I understood your meaning.

To rule out my own stupidity I installed debian 10 on the key using the same method, dd'ing to sdg. It booted and installed on the first try

My dd parameters were slightly different than the above. They worked with a debian install clearly but not with avl. I'll try again using the suggestion above and report back.

Thanks for all the help folks!
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

khz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:42 pm@Robin Cherry
I always use FAT32 for the USB stick (8 GB). To write the USB stick I use "dd":
Where is my USB stick

lsblk
Then the desired data medium umount, e. g.

umount /dev/sdb1
and then

dd if=/home/Path/to/isotester-avl64-2020.4.10.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M && sync
That was it! I had my dd parameters wrong. I got working! The installer didn't respect my home partition and made its own elsewhere and for some reason jack server won't start but I'll take it. I can fix those things.

Thanks @khz now back to music making!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

You're welcome, I'm just as happy to be helped.
Important with the "dd" command is the "sync" at the end.
I have successfully installed AVLinux on the EVO NVMe M.2.
I don't use a (slow) SWAP partition because I have 32 GB RAM. I do not have a SWAP partition.

I don't have a touchpad on this computer, so I don't have the problem. But this can be solved.
Edit: My "/" partition is 50 GB.

:~$ df -h
Dateisystem    Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
udev             16G       0   16G    0% /dev
tmpfs           3,2G     11M  3,2G    1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p3   48G     27G   19G   59% /
tmpfs            16G    103M   16G    1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5,0M    4,0K  5,0M    1% /run/lock
tmpfs            16G       0   16G    0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs            15G    8,0K   15G    1% /tmp
/dev/sda1       870G    218G  609G   27% /home
tmpfs           3,2G     16K  3,2G    1% /run/user/1000