Cooped up with Covid? Wanna proofread the AVL 2020 Manual?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Cooped up with Covid? Wanna proofread the AVL 2020 Manual?

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

The release of AV Linux 2020 is just around the corner and as is customary the User Manual gets updated and revised with every release. I have googly eyes from staring at this thing so if you have the time and talent a second (or third, or forty-ninth) set of eyes would be appreciated in proofreading and posting typos or wrong information here in this thread.

I most certainly don't expect many takers and also don't expect any one person to read the whole thing... however if you could pick a chapter or section of interest whether you've ever used AV Linux or not any help is appreciated. Even just testing the Document and web links in the PDF can be immensely helpful. As a bonus for the few who may be interested the Manual describes many of the new features and cool additions that will be in AVL 2020 when it gets released in the next 10 days.

TIA!! Glen

Find the Draft here: http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2020-DRAFT1.pdf
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Cooped up with Covid? Wanna proofread the AVL 2020 Manual?

Post by Basslint »

Hello Glen,

I cannot help with you with proofreading but I just wanted to thank you for your work on AVL, in particular for your dedication and care toward the end user!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Basslint wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm Hello Glen,

I cannot help with you with proofreading but I just wanted to thank you for your work on AVL, in particular for your dedication and care toward the end user!
Well thanks!

And same to you for your work with the OpenSUSE stuff! Actually JackLab (based on OpenSUSE) was a big inspiration for me to start sharing my setup with AVL many years ago now. I started using JackLab just as it was reaching it's unfortunate end and it showed me the potential for a well put together Linux DAW workstation. Great to see a new effort focused on OpenSUSE!
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi Glenn, I downloaded and read all the updated manual of av linux 2020 .... for me it is very clear and that's okay without adding anything else. great work especially of patience, professionalism and passion for music production on Gnu Linux. I can't wait to install the new version on my computers !!! Best Regards :D

Gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

gennargiu wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:36 am Hi Glenn, I downloaded and read all the updated manual of av linux 2020 .... for me it is very clear and that's okay without adding anything else. great work especially of patience, professionalism and passion for music production on Gnu Linux. I can't wait to install the new version on my computers !!! Best Regards :D

Gennaro
Hi Gennaro!

Thank you very much for taking time to read the Manual especially when it is not in your native language, I appreciate it! :)
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

As soon as the final version of av linux 2020 is released I am curious to see if I can use the new alsa firewire drivers for my old firewire sound card only that at the moment it works quietly with the ffado drivers :D

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

I read through it last night while watching reruns of Curb Your Enthusiasm. :lol: I have to say the only thing I saw were a couple it's that should be its typos. Seriously, that's it. You have a truly remarkable ability to convey technical information in a clear and conversational style.

The AVL manual is so much more than what it claims to be! I don't use AVL, but the document is incredibly valuable to me as a reference for making music on Linux in general. And for customizing Xfce. And for digging into Debian. I've learned a bunch from it. It's a treasure.

Congrats!
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ufug wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 pm I read through it last night while watching reruns of Curb Your Enthusiasm. :lol: I have to say the only thing I saw were a couple it's that should be its typos. Seriously, that's it. You have a truly remarkable ability to convey technical information in a clear and conversational style.

The AVL manual is so much more than what it claims to be! I don't use AVL, but the document is incredibly valuable to me as a reference for making music on Linux in general. And for customizing Xfce. And for digging into Debian. I've learned a bunch from it. It's a treasure.

Congrats!
Hi ufug!

Lol, You are obviously much more disciplined than I am, 30 seconds into the first Curb I would have forgotten the Manual even existed whether I wrote it or not.. :lol:

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that (and for the kind words) I do have mental issue with "its and it's" for sure... :oops:

If I may put you on the spot for some valuable product research...?

I know you and I have a pretty similar workflow, not a lot of heavy reliance on MIDI or synths, mostly Audio workflow with some Commercial stuff mixed in there.. What about AV Linux doesn't work for you? You can be Frank with me Shirley I'm not made of glass and I'd really like some honest insight from a user like you about what is missing? Is it the OS itself? Is it that you're not an XFCE person? Is it that the Installation is a bit more 'complicated', or didn't work for you? Or is it something else like it's too DIY and not organized and regimented enough like a larger project such as Ubuntu Studio? I'm not at all saying "we know each other, we like each other's work why don't you like my OS??" I'd just like some feedback as to what you feel is missing the mark for you as a Linux Audio user, not necessarily as an aquaintance..

Or is it this...? Paraphrased from the movie 'Step Brothers": "Something about your face.. makes me want to deliver one of these (*makes fist) to your suckhole!".. :lol:
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

GMaq wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:18 am If I may put you on the spot for some valuable product research...?
I think AVL is amazing! I've used it in the past and the reasons I don't use it now are not because of any shortcomings on AVL's part. Xfce is my favorite, but I like all the DEs. My setup is ever evolving and is trending toward simplifying everything. I'm not finding I need to optimize for audio the way I used to and haven't used a RT kernel in years. I do almost everything inside my favorite DAW and only use a couple dozen linux-native plugins (I've noticed in the past the more plugins I have and the more I tinker with set-up, the less time I spend on songs). I monitor via the input on my little Scarlett so latency isn't a big concern. My last project I didn't even use JACK for half the songs, just Mixbus with ALSA.

In short, AVL is a powerful and awesome Swiss army knife but I just need a butter knife. I've been using Manjaro at work for a few months (haven't tied it for audio yet, but I like how little it needs to be fussed with, I might move in that direction).

I'll probably be back at some point though! :D :D And I'm serious about the kudos on the manual--it may be the single most thorough and up-to-date documentation for doing what we do, anywhere. It's probably just as massive and undertaking as the distro itself is and we're all lucky to have it!
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ufug wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:58 pm
GMaq wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:18 am If I may put you on the spot for some valuable product research...?
In short, AVL is a powerful and awesome Swiss army knife but I just need a butter knife. I've been using Manjaro at work for a few months (haven't tied it for audio yet, but I like how little it needs to be fussed with, I might move in that direction).
Thanks very much for the reply, I am relieved there was not some major flaw that you were just too considerate to mention..

For the record I very much agree with the minimalist philosophy, I do carry a lot of bulk in AVL of stuff I never use and will never use, on my own separate laptops and studio systems I also subscribe to the Marie Kondo approach... simply the DAW and a short list of fave plugins...that's it! I find especially with plugins too much choice is very counter productive..