ubuntu studio 19.10/kde issues

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

babag
Established Member

ubuntu studio 19.10/kde issues

Post by babag »

day to day i'm running ubuntu studio 18.04 with kde installed and it all runs extremely well. i keep a spare drive to experiment on and just installed 19.10 on it, then added kde plasma desktop. two issues are currently bugging me with this, one major, one minor.

the minor issue is that my login screen seems to have an issue with its background. tried several screens and they all do it. i use a screen with a dark background and it comes up blazing white. i'm guessing it may have to do with my using a dark theme but, really, no idea. in my dark studio this is very annoying.

big issue, though, is with display support. i use four displays, a large, wall-mounted one for video display, and three 20" displays, side-by-side across my console desktop. i have an nvidia card and use the "nvidia x server settings" app to arrange the displays so their geometry matches the physical layout in the room (big display above, others below). this all works fine in 18.04 with plasma 5.12.9. kde is, btw, the ONLY de that allows me to work this way reliably, using the lower right display as the primary where my icons and taskbar are located. i tried at least six, maybe more like 10 de's and came back to kde because it was the ONLY one that put this all together.

now, however, i set up my displays so they all are in the right places, reboot and, when the screens come up, i'm presented with a five-pane window that asks if i want to extend my displays left. right, do nothing, etc. worst part is that all of my previous arrangement is completely gone, every time i reboot. is there a way to fix this and get it to retain the settings i make? what is this, so called, "feature" called? i need to read up but don't know what it's called.

thanks,
babag
babag
Established Member

Re: ubuntu studio 19.10/kde issues

Post by babag »

this thread may hold the answer to the multi-display issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/a ... ltiscreen/

it says that, when presented with the 'extend left, right, etc.' option on login, select anything but the 'do nothing' option. i had always, thinking i was acting out of an abundance of caution, selected 'do nothing.' when i selected 'extend right' after a reboot, i went to the nvidia config app and reset my positions for the zillionth time and rebooted. amazingly, the positions were remembered and the 'extend displays' window did not appear. will try another reboot now.

edit:
yup. survived another reboot. on to the other stuff now.

babag