Studio 1337 3.3 for free!

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Want to have a complete GNU/Linux Digital Audio Workstation incl. Graphics and Video Software?
Want to have a portable GNU/Linux Digital Audio Workstation running from USB flash drive?

Then Studio 1337 is the one you'll need!

The developer/designer of Studio 1337 has finally pulled the plug. He made the last/latest version Studio 1337 3.3 available to download for free.

Here's the related topic opened on 20th of January 2020: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 40#1047240
Probably has some additional information...
Here's the files to download: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Have fun...
tramp
Established Member

Re: Studio 1337 3.3 for free!

Post by tramp »

First: I'm glad to here that "Studio 13.37 is no more. "

The developer behind that project has all the time refused to provide the source code, which is a requirement, when you distribute/sell binary builds from GNU GPL'd software. And still, up to today, I wasn't able to find any source code related to this project.

So, thanks, even for "free", I wouldn't touch this stuff. :evil:
On the road again.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

tramp wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm First: I'm glad to here that "Studio 13.37 is no more. "

The developer behind that project has all the time refused to provide the source code, which is a requirement, when you distribute/sell binary builds from GNU GPL'd software. And still, up to today, I wasn't able to find any source code related to this project.

So, thanks, even for "free", I wouldn't touch this stuff. :evil:
Haha!

So, come on: show us the source code for Ubuntu Studio or any of these OSes that are also being sold! :lol:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 pm Haha!

So, come on: show us the source code for Ubuntu Studio or any of these OSes that are also being sold! :lol:
In Ubuntu, you can download source packages with apt command.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 pm Haha!

So, come on: show us the source code for Ubuntu Studio or any of these OSes that are also being sold!
As other have pointed out, it is easy to get the Source Code either through Launchapd or apt. For example, here how to get the Kernel source code:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/SourceCode

And the code was shown.

However, let's assume that Ubuntu was breaching GPL. That is not in any way a reason for any other project to breach GPL as well. Hence, the comment above is totally void of any logic and reason, and shall then be totally rejected: if a project breaches any license terms the fact that others might have breached the same license is largely irrelevant, and still constitute an offense.

By the way, I am not that familiar with this project and it is the first time I hear about alleged GPL violations. I will give it the benefit of the doubt. I am just pointing out that the remark above doesn't make any kind of sense whatsoever.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Studio 1337 is made of open-source softwares, which presumably
have their own source code distribution schemes and availability.

To get source code for the custom kernel used, you'd likely
have to pay 'reasonable' fees for someone burning a cd or copying
to a usbstick, getting it in the mail, and provide or pay separately for shipping
and packaging containers.

If the Studio kernel is so much better than, for example, the kernel from

https://liquorix.net/

you can assume the 'reasonable' fees for such mundane distribution tasks
would generate wailing and gnashing of teeth, because genious coders
don't come cheap by the hour. Not that there are hundreds
of Studio 1337 customers here.

And Studio 1337 detractors are likely loathe to
ascribe any kernel-developing genious to the developer, so in any case,
why waste precious man-hours stirring empty pots, instead of coding and making music?
Spit downwind guys, it's better luck than the alternatives.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

So, and since 'we" have found the source codes of Ubuntu Studio we also have found the source codes of Studio 1337! :wink: :D :lol:

With some background knowledge anyone could have known that Studio 1337 is created from the Ubuntu Bionic Beaver packages/sources. The version name came from a previously version based on Slackware 13.37. Versions before 13.37 has been build already also from the Ubuntu packages, like Lucid Lynx.

With some more background knowledge anyone could have known that the Studio 1337 compared to the Ubuntu Studio is a ONE MAN SHOW! There is or was no team, no company or something similar involved. Just a single guy giving his time, his effort, his LOVE, PASSION and knowledge to a wonderful GNU/Linux project.

With even some more of background knowledge anyone could have known that Studio 1337 is based on Puppy Linux. It is build like my own OS using the Puppy builder WoofCE (earlier versions was WOOF). This meets the minimum legal requirement (as explained to Barry Kauler, the inventor of Puppy Linux, by a solicitor at the Free Software Foundation) by providing source on CD at a basic cost.

So, where's the problem?
I can't see any!

Anyone who's complaining about he doesn't offer any source codes for free and so violating the GPL:

- did you ever get your hands dirty to create/design an operating system?
- did you ever get your hands dirty to setup an operating system to be a complete multimedia studio (except your own OS in use)?
- did you ever put some money into your hands to buy hundreds or thousands of USB flash drives?
- did you ever get your hands dirty in installing such operating system onto such USB flash drives to be sold?

Since I have created/designed several operating systems (standing on the shoulders of giants, of course) from 2012 until 2016/17, I know what kind of effort and work is put in such a project! Nearby: this GUY, this wonderful GUY to me still is an Idol. Without his work done I probably never would have changed to GNU/Linux and of course I never would have strive for to create my own operating system. His Puppy Studio 3.3 was the initial ignition to turn me one into a GNU/Linux musician and developer.

I'm pretty sure, it's quite unfair (friendly spoken) to blame a single Guy on his one man show for not offering a useless/senseless duplication of source codes. And to me it seems to be shameless, greedy and outrageous to blame this guy violating the GPL - as he doesn't, since his OS also meets the minimum legal requirement of Puppy Linux.

And in my humble opinion: the only source code anyone should be interested in, is that source code of the next/new release/version of a program that's already compiled and packaged and available within repositories!

I personally would be much more concerned about violating the GPL on the use of e.g busybox in modern TVs, navigation systems, smartphones and lots of other modern devices to be sold! :wink:

Really: it's exactly those guys like @tramp that our human societies/communities are suffering from! WORLDWIDE! :evil:
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Really: it's exactly those guys like @tramp that our human societies/communities are suffering from! WORLDWIDE!
You better not to post being drunk or whatever.
Tramp is the author of Guitarix.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Kott wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:37 am
Really: it's exactly those guys like @tramp that our human societies/communities are suffering from! WORLDWIDE!
You better not to post being drunk or whatever.
Tramp is the author of Guitarix.
I'm not drunk or whatever!
Being a developer of a good program doesn't keep anyone away from being an a.....e:
tramp wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm First: I'm glad to here that "Studio 13.37 is no more. "
Maybe I should consider to remove Guitarix from my OS!? :wink:
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Show us your OS.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Kott wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:06 amShow us your OS.
LazY Puppy ArtStudio64: viewtopic.php?p=114519#p114519
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

And here's my desktops: viewtopic.php?p=115477#p115477
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Ok, let it be "operating system", and subj the "Elite operating system" :)
Even you love and protect these "OS", try not to insult someone just because he cares about it less than nothing.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Kott wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:33 am Ok, let it be "operating system", and subj the "Elite operating system" :)
Even you love and protect these "OS", try not to insult someone just because he cares about it less than nothing.
I'm not saying "Elite operating system". Neither Studio 1337 nor mine. Don't put words into my mouth!

Also I'm not trying to insult anyone. That's not why I'm here!

But, if he @tramp cares about it less than nothing (as you wrote/assumed), why did he make the disgusting comment in his post replying to my opening post?

Btw: if something looks like, tastes like, smells like and even acts like an a.....e, then there's a good chance it might be one, no?
And if you can't call an a.....e as an a.....e anymore then there's definitely something wrong.
But that's just not something new! :lol:

So, if you don't have anything constructive to say e.g. to the facts I posted a few posts above about Studio 1337, then just leave me alone. Thanks!