Studio 1337 3.3 for free!

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kott
Established Member

Re: Studio 1337 3.3 for free!

Post by Kott »

1337 - means Elite, if don't know.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Kott wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:59 am 1337 - means Elite, if don't know.
No, I didn't know.

Can you explain this?
Where's it come from?

Thanks.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Kott wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:12 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet
Ah, Ok, I see.

This is really weird stuff and hard to read if one is not familiar to that. :lol:

To get from 'Haxor' to 'Hacker' or better the revert seems to need lots of beer or (probably preferred) even ganja. :wink:

Thanks.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:45 pm So, and since 'we" have found the source codes of Ubuntu Studio we also have found the source codes of Studio 1337! :wink: :D :lol:

With some background knowledge anyone could have known that Studio 1337 is created from the Ubuntu Bionic Beaver packages/sources. The version name came from a previously version based on Slackware 13.37. Versions before 13.37 has been build already also from the Ubuntu packages, like Lucid Lynx.

With some more background knowledge anyone could have known that the Studio 1337 compared to the Ubuntu Studio is a ONE MAN SHOW! There is or was no team, no company or something similar involved. Just a single guy giving his time, his effort, his LOVE, PASSION and knowledge to a wonderful GNU/Linux project.

With even some more of background knowledge anyone could have known that Studio 1337 is based on Puppy Linux. It is build like my own OS using the Puppy builder WoofCE (earlier versions was WOOF). This meets the minimum legal requirement (as explained to Barry Kauler, the inventor of Puppy Linux, by a solicitor at the Free Software Foundation) by providing source on CD at a basic cost.

So, where's the problem?
I can't see any!
Well, that doesn't help, and I guess you know it. Looks to me that this is the reason why you react so aggressive.
But just because it is a show stopper for me, it didn't mean that you've to stop using/promoting it.
Do what ever you want, write what ever you want, I'll do the same. :P
On the road again.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

tramp wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 am Well, that doesn't help, and I guess you know it. Looks to me that this is the reason why you react so aggressive.
But just because it is a show stopper for me, it didn't mean that you've to stop using/promoting it.
Do what ever you want, write what ever you want, I'll do the same. :P
If that doesn't help then nothing would be helpful for you and from your point of view.
Anything else that's not to be found on the Ubuntu repositories is included in WoofCE.
I don't care how my acting looks to you. It was just a RE-action of your unnecessary insulting reply to my opening post.
If you can't take such RE-action, then just don't post! :lol:
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

TAERSH wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:48 am If that doesn't help then nothing would be helpful for you and from your point of view.
That has nothing to do with my viewpoint, it's a simple requirement from the GPL.
Look, Ubuntu use usually the source code from debian to build the packages they distribute. That didn't free them from providing the source code by them self. It's simple required by the GPL.
Now, studio 1337 didn't provide any of the source code he use to build the stick, even not when asked for it by a costumer.
That is a issue. If you can't understand that, sorry.
As already said, from "my viewpoint", YOU, could do what ever you want, use studio 1337, promote it, or what ever. I've no issue with that.
But, I start to have a issue with your interaction here, looks a bit like you would hinder me to wrote my impression, because it didn't fit well within yours. That isn't really smart. :lol:
On the road again.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Just to complete the information and to have all the links in this topic to get everything one probably wants to have locally available:

WoofCE topic at Puppy Forum: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101174
WoofCE the Puppy builder at github: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I see that this project is still causing arguments even after it's death.

I'm glad to see it go. The creator made ridiculous and misleading claims about it, quite obviously in an effort to make more sales, and wasn't exactly pleasant or open about providing proof or more details. Almost every thread about it ends in arguments with the shills coming out of the woodwork with personal attacks, much like this thread.

Now it is dead we're one step closer to a more peaceful forum.
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

Hello l0wt3ch and community,

I am having mixed feeling about this. At one hand i am currently downloading the mythical Studio-1337. And the first thing i will do is to see, the settings and the parameters. Are they more wide and generic, like in Ubuntu Studio or KXStudio, or are they more narrow, specific and prioritizing low latency audio above general functionality. I will find out, is this project worth the investment. And if indeed the system is set to be a studio or live performance OS, than its a loss for the computer music community in general.

All current established Linux Audio distributions (KXStudio, AVLinux, LibraZiK, Ubuntu Studio) are set to be used for both low latency audio and as a general purpose usecase. But it is possible to tune and set the system far more prioritizing realtime audio. With a custom Linux RT kernel, with much of the modules and boot services disabled etc, etc. And Studio-1337 was advertised to do that. There is no issue with selling a Linux distribution. It cannot be more sinful compared to Linux's most popular distribution ubu.... i mean Android. No one know how it works, and it spies on you.

I personally have wrote my Computer Science bachelor thesis on: "Building a professional audio operating system on Linux". I know that with the proper settings, you can easily use your sound card below its factory values. Your system will be for audio exclusively. No more, no less. And i believe that there is a niche for such a system, especially post Studio 1337. Me and UNFA recently analyzed this topic. Is there a need for a system, meant to be used exclusively at Live Performances and Music Studios? Where latency values, like the one at the photo below are achievable.

Best regards, Totalchaos
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@thetotalchaos

AV Linux comes with a full RT preempt kernel and even on the LiveISO it passes ALL of the criteria of @raboof realtime quick config scan including setting the CPU for performance by default. In addition AV Linux includes Boot Up Manager and SystemADM for the user to disable services at boot. No it does not boot to the system RAM like 1337 and it also has XFCE4 not a super light DE like 1337 has (Does anyone with more than a single core CPU even need a lighter DE than XFCE4??) but it is also not in the same category as the other Distros mentioned. AV Linux is shipping a fully RT tuned Desktop and not trying to be an "office machine" in any way.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

thetotalchaos wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 pm There is no issue with selling a Linux distribution.
I agree there I find nothing morally wrong with selling a Linux distribution, as long as you are transparent about it and provide the full sources (including all configuration and build utilities). I think the GPL puts this fairly nicely:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html wrote:The “Corresponding Source” for a work in object code form means all the source code needed to generate, install, and (for an executable work) run the object code and to modify the work, including scripts to control those activities.
That said, I find community important, and I would be reluctant to choose a distro that puts up barriers to forming a community by requiring payment. I'll admit, I do use Android though ;).
thetotalchaos wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 pm I personally have wrote my Computer Science bachelor thesis on: "Building a professional audio operating system on Linux".
Interesting, is that thesis shared anywhere?
thetotalchaos wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 pm I know that with the proper settings, you can easily use your sound card below its factory values.
I'm sure it also depends on the hardware you chose?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

GMaq wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:41 am No it does not boot to the system RAM like
The complete GNU/Linux system in Ram: Would it be technically possible to boot the complete system installed on a hard disk (LAW) completely in RAM? I mean not USB bootable live distributions!
Many system relevant parts (for example the kernel, ... or for example jackd (shm)) are already loaded into the RAM at boot time. So everything that makes sense in normal applications is already in RAM. Is it possible to load 100% of the system in RAM?
Do you have to sync the system at every reboot to save the changes of the data because RAM is volatile? How could this be solved?
A SSD EVO M.2 PCIe already has a read/write speed: up to 3,400 / 1,500 MB/s. So today's hard drives are already quite fast.
The RAM would be even faster. Above all, it would minimize the read/write process on the hard disk or make it unnecessary.
Or is that not (so) important for the audio sector?
Or is it not yet technically possible?
No idea if the links have any relation to this topic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetore ... ess_memory, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_XPoint, https://www.cs.swarthmore.edu/~newhall/nswap2L.html.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

raboof wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:07 am
thetotalchaos wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 pm There is no issue with selling a Linux distribution.
I agree there I find nothing morally wrong with selling a Linux distribution, as long as you are transparent about it and provide the full sources (including all configuration and build utilities). I think the GPL puts this fairly nicely:
Actually i find the Studio 1337 to be a true state of the art. It is unfortunate, that he couldn't find a better business strategy. The distro is worth the money, but violating the GPL license is not the way. I hope that l0wt3ch's amazing work, does not go in vain.
thetotalchaos wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 pm I personally have wrote my Computer Science bachelor thesis on: "Building a professional audio operating system on Linux".
Interesting, is that thesis shared anywhere?
It is written in Bulgarian. I can send you a copy as a PM if you like. Its basically your script, expanded to 50 pages :lol: :lol:
GMaq wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:41 am No it does not boot to the system RAM like
You can achieve similar effect by using a properly set SSD drive. There are some other tricks with RAM that can improve the audio performance, like cache value, swappiness, tmpFS etc...
thetotalchaos wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:15 pm I know that with the proper settings, you can easily use your sound card below its factory values.
I'm sure it also depends on the hardware you chose?
Sure it is. My rule is simple. It Trisquel GNU/Linux works out of the box, the hardware is well chosen :lol: :roll:
@GMaq - You know how much i appreciate your project, and how much i cherish its existence. As one of the few that runs on Linux-RT out if the box. Made by artist for artists

Best regards to you all, Totalchaos
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

thetotalchaos (markup by me) wrote:Actually i find the Studio 1337 to be a true state of the art. It is unfortunate, that he couldn't find a better business strategy. The distro is worth the money, but violating the GPL license is not the way. I hope that l0wt3ch's amazing work, does not go in vain.
Anyone totally agreeing with that marked up part of the quote should think twice about that.
I'm not saying violating the GPL should be the way, though in that part of license that forces each and everyone to provide the source code (all source codes) of a Distro being published, the GPL SUCKS! :evil:

A single person, a hobbyist in development without a team and/or supporters in background simply doesn't have capacities to fulfill the GPL on that point. Ubuntu e.g. does have such capacities and therefor should be forced to do so. But -repeating: a single person can't afford such- even not when trying to make some money out of it. This should be simple enough and easy to understand. If not, one seems really NOT to be very smart. :idea:

The makers of the GPL just failed on that point, or at least didn't think it out very well to the end. :roll:

So, anyone who's blaming a single person, a hobbyist in development without a team and/or supporters in background for that "violation" of the GPL is going to exclude all those nice and useful developments of such people from the GNU/Linux communities/developments. Which is in fact ONE point why I stopped developing for GNU/Linux and publishing Distros.

For me personally it's not a great loss, as it returns time to do music and to improve my OS - which is basically identical to Studio 1337 3.3, but much smarter. Studio 1337 needs a so-called save file or even a whole partition to save settings persistent. My OS doesn't need that. It's running completely in RAM and I'm the commander telling the OS which settings to store persistent between the sessions. At the moment the complete amount of saved data to have everything persistent I want to have is at 266 MB! :D

@tramp especially & @sysrqer in part

This topic was solely created to announce Studio 1337 3.3 now being available for free. There was no other intention on my side when I opened it up.

But you two guys just reading the name "Studio 1337" in the topics title and more or less immediately running amok.

Continuing your flaming wars, your antipathy to 10wt3ch or what ever your "problems" with him are based on (such needs always TWO), using my topic for that. That's got nothing to do with me, myself and I but it's just disgusting, dishonorable and degrading! Plus at least it shows off much more of your characters than 10wt3ch's.

Linux forums (or some of its users/members) seems to get more and more intolerant to outstanding people or even their work. Also experienced such "behavior" already in another GNU/Linux forum. And this is the reason why I decided to not to return to this forum anymore after finishing this post.

In the end I want to say "thank you" again to all those really nice people who offered help to me within this forum and being interested in listening to my music. Two days ago I came into some information that another friend of mine and fellow musician from a long time ago has passed away too (the 2nd within 6 months). Both were younger than myself, so I just don't want to give time anymore to things/stuff/issues that do not further me and robbing my time senselessly.

Except: doing a video, explaining why I removed Guitarix from my OS and stopped developing for GNU/Linux. Btw, have a real guitar and guitar amp, so there wasn't ever a need for Guitarix in my OS. :lol:

Again thanks to the nice ones... 8)