New KXStudio Repositories

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Re: New KXStudio Repositories

Post by finotti »

You can try

Code: Select all

apt autoremove
(See apt's manual page.) Be very careful! In my experience it usually wants to remove way to much and could break your system.

I would do a dry-run, saving the output to a file:

Code: Select all

apt-get --dry-run autoremove > autoremove.txt
and then examine the file for packages that you actually want to remove. (Remove them directly, not with autoremove.)
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

nice, that dry-run thing is new to me. Anyway, I do regularly run autoremove, thus it *should* capture only the changes after I switch repos (but it will still be a massive thing, so I'll want to be extra careful!
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

wolftune wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:
wolftune wrote:[...]
UPDATE: The commands I did before to check what came from KXStudio repos somehow missed Audacity, Mixxx, and Sooperlooper among others. Either those weren't coming from KXStudio or something was missing in the command given earlier in this topic.
You sure that Audacity depends on KXStudio?
That's my whole point: Audacity is in the kxstudio-meta-audio "recommends" but doesn't come from KXStudio at all. I was wondering if there's a more reliable way to find all such cases. Cases where I did not mark it *manual* because it was installed along with the meta packages but where it will not show up in the list of installed packages that come from KXStudio repos because it *doesn't* come from them.

It's not too crazy to manually go through all the Depends and Recommends from all the meta packages manually, but that overlaps with the list of stuff that comes from KXStudio repos.

And an answer to my question will also give me insights into how to manage packages reliably overall.
Why would you want to know on what software the KXStudio software depends/recommends?
  1. If you want to uninstall unneeded packages if you remove KXStudio stuff then you can use the command "sudo apt-get autoremove"
  2. If you are worried about dependencies and that new KXStudio repo: your package manager (apt-get or Synaptic) will solve dependencies for you
It might be so that I do not fully understand your question. Are you worried that 2 different versions of the same software co-exist on your computer after changing to the new KXStudio repo?
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

My worry is only that I may have had a system with various tools and things installed that was optimized nicely and then after the switch over (or in future installs) I didn't note that I really want something particular installed.

Of course, if it's an app, I will remember about it if I think "oh, I want X, oh wait, it's not installed now". But for behind-the-scenes system stuff maybe not. Also, if it's not something I used much, I might forget about it unless I have it installed and see it when browsing *or* if this process prompts me to notice it and consider whether I want to make sure to keep it around (or to get it for a future new system install).

Overall, this is about keeping well-documented notes about what tools I care about etc. for a good system install and usable set up for myself and for recommending to others. I had previously relied in *some* parts on the recommendations the KXStudio repos made.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

wolftune wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:
wolftune wrote:[...]
UPDATE: The commands I did before to check what came from KXStudio repos somehow missed Audacity, Mixxx, and Sooperlooper among others. Either those weren't coming from KXStudio or something was missing in the command given earlier in this topic.
You sure that Audacity depends on KXStudio?
That's my whole point: Audacity is in the kxstudio-meta-audio "recommends" but doesn't come from KXStudio at all. I was wondering if there's a more reliable way to find all such cases. Cases where I did not mark it *manual* because it was installed along with the meta packages but where it will not show up in the list of installed packages that come from KXStudio repos because it *doesn't* come from them.

It's not too crazy to manually go through all the Depends and Recommends from all the meta packages manually, but that overlaps with the list of stuff that comes from KXStudio repos.

And an answer to my question will also give me insights into how to manage packages reliably overall.
Do you want ri remove them because of the upgrade?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

khz wrote:
lilith wrote:Did anyone upgrade from Debian Stretch to Buster yet with the KX repos? As it's recommended to deactivate all foreign repos before the upgrade and also to uninstall all software from these repos I want to ask how you handled this.
I did that.
There were no problems.

I had also asked falkTX about it here in the forum. His answer: Yes it works.
khz wrote:Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository >> viewtopic.php?p=96528#p96528
KXRepos and Debian PPAs >> viewtopic.php?p=94589#p94589
Unfortunately the thread has been deleted?
Ok.. so I leave them intact for the upgrade and also leave the software untouched beside of a little bit cleaning. But does this mean that Buster works with the old KXRepos too?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I had done the dist-uprade with the "old" KXRepos and everything ran smoothly. I hadn't uninstalled anything. I wrote in my article:
GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW wrote:You should look at the backports before dist-upgrade! If elementary packages from the backports are installed (e.g. a kernel) you should uninstall them before dist-upgrade. After the dist-upgrade you can then install the packages from the (new) backports again.
should possibly take care of it, for safety's sake.
Application software as installed on KXRepos doesn't cause any problems.

The "new/current" KXRepos I have only for a few days, so Buster works with both old and new KXRepos. IMHO
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

The Upgrade completely failed, because of some language packages. I made a fresh install.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

I'm happy to say that the upgrade is all working for me.

However, going forward, I am unclear about the smoothest way to clear out no-longer-supported stuff that has the blocking-style version numbers from old stuff.

If I find out that a package is stuck, I think I can do this:

1. Remove package
2. Install package again
3. (optional) apt-mark auto (so that it doesn't clutter my list of manual packages)

How can I determine which packages are currently installed with old-repo versions?

Such packages aren't orphaned because they are available from other sources. But they version upgrading can be blocked. And all the searches I thought about to find packages with kxstudio versions seem to show current repo versions of things. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that there's some reliable string in the old repo versions that is unique and isn't used ever in the new repos.

Do I just have to manually notice here and there that a package is stuck?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Okay, I guess there's three possibilities for no-longer-KXStudio packaged stuff:

1. Orphaned (can identify those easily)
2. Moved to the meta kxstudio-recommended… packages (also easy enough to identify)
3. Neither

I don't know how to get a list of number 3. That's specifically packages that *are* available from other standard repos, that *were* packaged before, but are now neither packaged by KXStudio nor recommended. Maybe there's nothing in that list even, I'm not sure.

Anyway, as an example of group 2, I was able to clear the old packaging of SetBFree by running `sudo apt install setbfree=0.8.5-1` which got the identical main ubuntu repo version (thus will get updated if that repo ever updates). I also ran `sudo apt-mark auto setbfree` since even though I want it for sure, I'm happy to have it because of the kxstudio-recommended packages.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar