Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Post by Basslint »

nilshi wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:57 am Link in the first page is broken.
https://geekosdaw.tuxfamily.org/index_en/ was already changed.
Also to fix: Default language of the page is set to Italian
Thanks, fixed the link in the OP. As for the default language, I agree but I am not the webmaster, so I showed your message to him.

Edit: he fixed it, thank you :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
bmarkham
Established Member

Post by bmarkham »

Okay this is looking really good so I'm going to pick up a new disk today specifically for installing OpenSuse Leap and then Geekos Daw.

:)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

bmarkham wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:41 pm Okay this is looking really good so I'm going to pick up a new disk today specifically for installing OpenSuse Leap and then Geekos Daw.

:)
Nice to hear! We're here for any support or feedback :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Happy new year! For 2021, we decided to make GeekosDAW officially supported on Tumbleweed. This is thanks to the huge work by @Kott in the last year, he did a really good job making packages run on both TW and Leap.

In other words, GeekosDAW is now suitable both for people who like stable and rolling distros.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

That is great news, and a happy new year to you too. :)
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Out of curiosity I gave a brief look into your work/repos, it looks like you are doing a really good job, many packages and most of them recently updated. :D
Not trying to get away from Debian but I would like to have a look into Geekos DAW formula.
Any suggestion on what is the best way to try it?

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

LAM wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:45 am Out of curiosity I gave a brief look into your work/repos, it looks like you are doing a really good job, many packages and most of them recently updated. :D
Not trying to get away from Debian but I would like to have a look into Geekos DAW formula.
Any suggestion on what is the best way to try it?
Thanks for checking it out :D

First, you have to decide if you want something similar to Debian (stable) or you want a rolling distribution, which is updated more frequently. In the first case, you should try openSUSE Leap 15.3, in the second case openSUSE Tumbleweed.

I've been using Tumbleweed for a while and I never had stability issues whatsoever. So, even if you are not a fan of rolling distros, I can assure you that Tumbleweed is very stable.

Our repo works with both Leap 15.3 and Tumbleweed. If you want my personal opinion, I would say that Tumbleweed is better suited because developers often compile against the latest versions of libraries and so we can't often backport programs or iron out bugs attributable to the libraries.

Now, how to try it? I could say a VM but you need experience to get good performance out of it. The best thing would be to try to dual boot with two separate home directories. This is very important.

Keep in mind that GeekosDAW is built on top of regular openSUSE. So you have to install Leap 15.3 or Tumbleweed first and then add our repos. We won't touch anything important unless you install some specific packages, but even then we stay away from stuff that does not affect realtime audio. But if I were you, I would do some backups and then some research on openSUSE. If you like it as a distro, there are good chances that you could switch to it as your main OS. From my own experience as a former Debian user, the only advantages Debian has over openSUSE are that it doesn't install proprietary firmware blobs by default (openSUSE sadly does, but they can be removed) and has better support for codecs out-of-the-box (openSUSE requires a 3rd party repo called Packman for patent-related issues). I prefer openSUSE for all other aspects. These are my (biased, as a maintainer) two cents :D

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@Basslint,
thanks for the detailed explanation.

I found a video where you were presenting Geekos Daw and got my interest.

Being a Debian sid user I think I will try Tumbleweed, I will report back once I get things running. :D

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

LAM wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:13 am @Basslint,
thanks for the detailed explanation.

I found a video where you were presenting Geekos Daw and got my interest.

Being a Debian sid user I think I will try Tumbleweed, I will report back once I get things running. :D
Fine, if you have any issues whatsoever get in touch with us! :D

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am not yet using the geekos repositories, but I am on openSUSE tumbleweed.

Because of reading about rolling releases on the internet, I was a bit worried.

But its as stable as rock. The only small problem I sometimes have are with updates, but most of the time those issues get resolved within a few days.

No big deal but then the installer complains about stuff it can't find and then typical Linux asks, if I want to abort the update or continue anyway.

I always abort, and investigate further and ask for help on the openSUSE forums.
Does not happen often. :)

Welcome to the green site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0tsZB_LEQk

I see a server and I want it painted green. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=escykW2 ... w&index=23

(some kind of wonderfull, parody)
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

I went through the minimal Tumbleweed install in a VM just to have a feel of what OpenSuse is today (last time I tried was something like 15 years ago :lol: ).

I started with a minimal X (default to icewm), then tried my beloved i3wm and then installed KDE Plasma.

Here's my, totally subjective Debian user, first look opinion:

Tumbleweed is a "complete" system, it brings a lot of packages in a minimal install that are not pulled when doing a minimal install in Debian.
This fact doesn't play very well with users wanting a minimal installation like me. There are so many OpenSuse tools that get installed, like Yast, it looks really feature rich, but I'm not used anymore to Jack-of-all-trades GUIs.
It begins to have sense when installing a DE like KDE, then it starts to look and play nicer.

Geekos DAW installation is really 1-click, one of the best and easy repo installation I've seen (and I'm not a fan of 1-clik install).
Love the Airwindows plugins downloader script, is a nice addition. :D
Went through the repos and you guys did something cool there, lots and lots of packages, updated to the latest versions (mostly). Amazing!

As far I played with Tumbleweed looks like a good Linux experience and Geekos DAW repos are better than I expected.

At the end I'm not going to switch to Tumbleweed but I will continue to look on how things will evolve on this side of Linux. :wink:

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

LAM wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:13 pm Tumbleweed is a "complete" system, it brings a lot of packages in a minimal install that are not pulled when doing a minimal install in Debian.
This fact doesn't play very well with users wanting a minimal installation like me. There are so many OpenSuse tools that get installed, like Yast, it looks really feature rich, but I'm not used anymore to Jack-of-all-trades GUIs.
It begins to have sense when installing a DE like KDE, then it starts to look and play nicer.
There is an official Tumbleweed-based minimal distro, it's called MicroOS. You could try that :D

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

I will. :)

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

https://get.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/#download
The Network Image is recommended for users who have limited bandwidth on their internet connections, as it will only download the packages they choose to install, which is likely to be significantly less than 4.7GB.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Gps wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:51 am https://get.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/#download
The Network Image is recommended for users who have limited bandwidth on their internet connections, as it will only download the packages they choose to install, which is likely to be significantly less than 4.7GB.
Yes, that's what I installed, too many packages. Will try MicroOS (still > 2GB though!). :wink: